The #1 cause of atheism is religion...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-03-2011, 09:15 PM

The #1 cause of atheism is religion...
So I may have the only cool JW friend in the world. She finally got around to asking me what denomination I was raised in. Assembly of God (pentacostal) is the way I was brought up. My question to all of you is: what religion do you think is the one that produces the most non-believers? I'm thinking of writing a small article for the Humanist Society of NM's newsletter.
Quote this message in a reply
08-03-2011, 02:44 AM
RE: The #1 cause of atheism is religion...
Hard to say.The more fundamentalist religions can sometimes gain more ground and hold on tighter to their followers. I think any religion that makes an absolute claim about the world that doesn't match reality and its followers also have access to conflicting views is the formula for producing non-believers.
I think people could still believe or not in supernatural forces even if religion was never invented or forced upon them, but from a semantics perspective theism is the cause of a-theism.

Hope I made sense Tongue

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-03-2011, 07:45 AM
Religion is not the main cause of deconvertion, it's mostly other information. If you're raised to believe in a three headed snake god, you probably won't just figure out some day that it doesn't make sense without any external information being provided to you.

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.
08-03-2011, 09:29 PM
This is a good thread, but not the right section of the forum. Moving to Atheism and Theism.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
08-03-2011, 09:57 PM
I agree with Kikko, it is mostly new evidence and information.

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo

"Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do." - Voltaire
08-03-2011, 10:19 PM

I agree that it is mostly new information, BUT...

if I were to take a swag at it, I would say that Catholicism produces more unbelievers because of the sheer amount of rituals and memorization.
Quote this message in a reply
08-03-2011, 10:57 PM
(08-03-2011 10:19 PM)Soldieringon Wrote:  I agree that it is mostly new information, BUT...

if I were to take a swag at it, I would say that Catholicism produces more unbelievers because of the sheer amount of rituals and memorization.

I see what you're saying, but I'm not sure I'd agree. I would guess catholics are the least because of how close they keep each other. Kids go to catholic school, take part in all the rituals, and you need special permission for a catholic to marry a non-catholic. They seem to take very good care that people don't stray to other faiths, or none at all.

I would assume some form of protestantism, because the reformation allowed worship on an individual level instead of a group event, and seems less hesitant when it comes to dealing with new ideas

Of all the ideas put forth by science, it is the principle of Superposition that can undo any power of the gods. For the accumulation of smaller actions has the ability to create, destroy, and move the world.

"I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul." -W. E. Henley
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-03-2011, 11:46 PM
(07-03-2011 09:15 PM)dearashad Wrote:  what religion do you think is the one that produces the most non-believers?

It seems like there would be some empirical data in a study somewhere to answer this claim.

I was raised Lutheran, but it wasn't specific Lutheran doctrine or experience that drove my de-conversion.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user