The 5 best books you have read.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-04-2012, 09:44 AM
RE: The 5 best books you have read.
I don't think I've read a fiction novel in 15 years or more. I'd rather read the dictionary TBH. I remember liking The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, Where the Red Fern Grows, and The Outsiders.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-04-2012, 10:28 AM
The Seamstress by Sara Tuvel: memoir of the Holocaust

Good Book: The Bizarre, Hilarious, Disturbiing, Marvelous, and Inspiring Things I Learned When I Read Every Single Word of the Bible by David Plotz - very funny!

The Giver by Lois Lowry : Classic book from childhood

The Beatles by Bob Spitz

Berlin at War by Roger Moorhouse: very interesting book on the lives of ordinary Germans in Berlin during the Third Reich

"Here's the thing about rights. They're not supposed to be voted on. That's why they call them rights." -Rachel Maddow
21-04-2012, 10:42 AM
Good and Evil, Martin Buber, Jewish philosopher, (you'll NEVER EVER see Genesis, or the bible the same again).
A Universe From Nothing, Laurence Krauss.
Jesus Interrupted, Bart Ehrman.
The Secret of The Old Clock, Carolyn Keen, (Nancy Drew)
The Tower Treasure, Frankin W. Dixon, (Hardy Boys)
The Singularity is Near, Ray Kurzweil
The Moral Landscape, Sam Harris
The Dragon Tatoo Trilogy.
So I can't count. Sue me. Tongue

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist
The noblest of the dogs is the hot dog. It feeds the hand that bites it.
21-04-2012, 10:56 AM
Oh man, ItsACow, you're a Louis L'Amour fan too? Such a champion - Walking Drum and Last of the breed are his two best though - the rest he sorta just pumped out. Terry Pratchett is another winner.

I'm gonna add The Agony and The Ecstasy - Irving Stone.

QED - Richard Feynman

Chaos - James Gleick

Hamlet - Shakespeare

Lord of the Rings - Tolkein
25-04-2012, 08:40 AM
(05-04-2012 09:44 AM)germanyt Wrote:  I don't think I've read a fiction novel in 15 years or more. I'd rather read the dictionary TBH. I remember liking The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, Where the Red Fern Grows, and The Outsiders.
There's two kinds of books in the world; there's fiction, then there's homework. Tongue

[Image: 10289811_592837817482059_8815379025397103823_n.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 6 users Like houseofcantor's post
18-05-2012, 07:18 PM
American Psycho - it's hard to stomach, but it's incredibly clever and satirical
1984 - considering the time this book was written, it was well thought out and a nice short engaging and interesting story
it - Stephen King knows how to creep you out
Deception Point - twists and turns, interesting story
The bible - best comedy I have read for a long time

This Batman—his way is vengeance; the word of the Batman proves true; he is a shield for all those who take refuge in him. (Gordon 2:12)
19-05-2012, 12:09 AM
1. Dune

2. The Black Company Series

3. Game of Thrones

4. Incarnations of Immortality

5. The Corp by W.E.B Griffin

This is a list of book series, i dont tend to read singular novels because they dont occupy me for long enough. The only reason Dune beats the black company is because of its leap forward for sci-fi.

Shock And Awe Tactics-- The "application of massive or overwhelming force" to "disarm, incapacitate, or render the enemy impotent with as few casualties to ourselves and to noncombatants as possible"
19-05-2012, 02:14 AM
Of Human Bondage - W. Somerset Maugham - A lot of words in this book… odd how many are all so different, including the same ones.

Ulysses - James Joyce - I will probably read again and again over again where words blow past to rustle hair and whistle through earrsssshhhooosssee

Bend Sinister - Vladimir Nabokov - If you are into Nabokov, you realize that many other writers correctly spell their words while Nabokov lets words be musical notes, wallpaper, and iridescent dust on butterfly wings… then just pretends to let you read them in the mirror.

To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee - It's really no wonder she didn't write anything more; she had her say.

Man In The High Castle - Philip K Dick - If you read it… by the time you finish… you'll wonder if you really did read it or not.

All great - might be revised tomorrow... but these are always in my mind, somewhere.

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
19-05-2012, 02:48 PM (This post was last modified: 19-05-2012 02:51 PM by ghostexorcist.)
I hardly ever finish books because I usually read scholarly reference material. But here are five that I have actually finished. They are listed as they come to mind, not in any particular order.

1. The Sinbad Voyage (1983) by Tim Severin - Tells the real life story of how a modern day adventurer built an Arab Dhow using 9th century techniques (sewn boards instead of nails) and sailed all the way to China from the Middle East.

2. Before the Dawn (2007) by Nicholas Wade - Is the most succint description of "deep" human history that I have ever read. It covers everything from what the society and life of our ape-like ancestor was probably like to when humans settled down and began to record history.

3. Novels 4, 5, & 6 of the Sano Ichiro Series by Laura Joh Rowland - I'm counting these as one since they are a part of a series. They basically follow the adventures of a Samurai detective living in 17th century Japan. I read these long ago while serving in the military.

4. Confessions of a Dangerous Mind (2002) and Bad Grass Never Dies (2004) by Chuck Barris - Again, I'm counting these as one since the latter is a continuation of the former. These books recount Chuck's dual life as a TV show producer and a CIA assassin. Some people think he is lying, others think he might be telling the truth. I don't have enough info about his claims to lean either way. These were still a VERY fun read!

5. Peacemaking Among Primates (1990) by Frans de Waal - A study on the methods of reconciliation used by captive Chimps, Rhesus Monkeys, Stump-tailed Monkeys, and Bonobos. The last chapter deals with humans and how the preceding chapters reflect an evolutionary mechanism for reconciliation. This is a must for people trying to discover the origins of morality.

I feel obliged to mention a sixth since I have read it three times (no small feet since it is thousands of pages long)...

6. Journey to the West (1592) by an anonymous author - Tells the story of a monkey being born from a stone egg, his acquisition of immortality, magic skills, and a 13,500 lb (6,123 kg) weapon, his war with heaven and subsequent imprisonment by the Buddha, and his release and protection of a Buddhist monk traveling from China to India. He defeats all sorts of gods and demons along the way. This story influenced the creation of the famous Manga and Anime Dragon Ball series.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes ghostexorcist's post
19-05-2012, 03:03 PM
oh this is hard, but lets try Big Grin

1- The Silmarillion
2- the christ clone trilogy
3- Treasure Island (creepiest ending ever)
4- Foundation series (by Isaac Asimov)
5- Harry Potter (I just like them, don't judge me)

Not necessarily in that order XD

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
[+] 1 user Likes nach_in's post

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  What Books/Comics/Magazines Have You Bought Lately? MegaHentai 51 874 11-07-2014 02:45 PM
Last Post: MegaHentai
  Some books for atheists =jesse= 9 147 27-06-2014 11:06 PM
Last Post: bobsyeruncle
  Funny, amusing summer books???? dancefortwo 6 102 25-06-2014 06:40 AM
Last Post: DavidQuinn
  What should I read / book club maybe? Smercury44 6 105 12-06-2014 09:26 PM
Last Post: Bucky Ball
Rainbow "The 100 Best Books of All Time" Have you read any? Thoughts? PoolBoyG 24 419 06-06-2014 09:22 PM
Last Post: WindyCityJazz
  my books out lol kunoxian drive 84 2,557 23-05-2014 06:29 PM
Last Post: kunoxian drive
  Books on Catholicism & Islam cascoatle 7 168 22-04-2014 11:58 PM
Last Post: kim