• 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-05-2012, 03:20 PM
RE: The 5 best books you have read.
Fidel Castro by George Galloway
The Frontiersmen By Allan W Eckert
The Conquerors by Allen W Eckert
Wilderness Empire By Allen W Eckert
Tecumseh by John Sugden
I know most of these are about history of the native American tribes in the N.E. but I found it very interesting. I guess I like History.

History, I believe, furnishes no example of a priest-ridden people maintaining a
free civil government. This marks the lowest grade of ignorance, of which their
political as well as religious leaders will always avail themselves for their
own purpose. ~ Thomas Jefferson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-05-2012, 03:22 PM
(19-05-2012 03:03 PM)nach_in Wrote:  5- Harry Potter (I just like them, don't judge me)
Egad! I'm judging you so hard right now.
19-05-2012, 03:43 PM
(19-05-2012 03:22 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(19-05-2012 03:03 PM)nach_in Wrote:  5- Harry Potter (I just like them, don't judge me)
Egad! I'm judging you so hard right now.
leave me alone with my guilty pleasures!! Weeping

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
19-05-2012, 03:52 PM
(19-05-2012 03:43 PM)nach_in Wrote:  leave me alone with my guilty pleasures!! Weeping
It's not guilty pleasures I got a problem with, it's putting 'em in your top 5 list of books Tongue
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
19-05-2012, 10:04 PM
(19-05-2012 03:52 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(19-05-2012 03:43 PM)nach_in Wrote:  leave me alone with my guilty pleasures!! Weeping
It's not guilty pleasures I got a problem with, it's putting 'em in your top 5 list of books Tongue
I really like them ,I read them three times, and watched the movies and all that... and it's my top 5!!!eleven!11!!one! go away!!! Tongue

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
[+] 1 user Likes nach_in's post
20-05-2012, 03:56 PM
I consider these high quality books or authors, in any case, some influenced me deeply and came first, regardless if out there was something better of the same. Don't worry, no huge Tolstoyan classics that make other people feel inferior, although the readers likely had to spend a time in jail to have time to read them Tongue (just kidding) I will also make sure to check out some recommendations. And I will not mention any book by the ununmentionable David Gerrold, because they're all awesome.

Neuromancer by William Gibson (for the delightful decadence and wonderful translation from English)

The Heavy Planet - collection by various authors including the awesome Larry Niven (for being very possibly the first piece of heavy sci-fi I've got my hands on as a kid and stayed addicted ever since)

The Heliconia trilogy by Brian W. Aldiss (for being a huge epic sci-fi saga that proves sci-fi is no small genre)

Hyperion series by Dan Simmons (for being some seriously heavy shit and Christian-bashing too)

Maitreya's Mission volume III by Benjamin Creme (for giving blueprints of the future to one small worker)

...and maybe, Last and First Men by Olaf Stapledon (because it was recommended to me by a bartender in a dirty small pub in Hong Kong in the game called Deus Ex. Frankly, where else do you get a recommendation like that??? Deus Ex is an incredibly... literate and thoughtful game for being a first-person (or better said, many-person) shooter)

Btw, how did you guys get all these awesome fiction books and authors? Did you borrow them in a library? Did you dig them up in obscure bookshops? Did you tell your precious money goodbye on Amazon? Or do you know some distant and obscure server in Caiman Islands or Yugoslavia, where such digitalized works can be found? Due to recent netquakes and webfires my rivers, brooks and torrents either dried or got stale. Some works by many authors are not digitalized at all. In my country the digital bookstores are hopeless. The fiction e-books are overpriced, scarce (all 200 of them) and series are generally incomplete. I had to learn a freakin' foreign language (this one) to indulge this vice. Don't worry for me, in my country downloading is legal and advising where one might search is legal too. *wink*
20-05-2012, 04:40 PM
ok, so this will be boring, because all my favourite books are German and afaik not available in English, but I love this author and his stories, loaded with phantasy and action.

Author is Wolfgang Hohlbein
Das Druidentor (The druid's gate)
Midgard
Katzenwinter (Cat winter)
Der Magier 1 - 3 (The magician)
Maerchenmond (Fairytale moon)

In English >> Harry Potter (all of them!)

Sorry, guys I just like fiction novels more than textbooks about specific topics. Although I read some, just don't like them as much.

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
20-05-2012, 05:34 PM
(1) Voltair's Bastards..... John Ralston Saul

(2) Who is This God? .........Paul. Murchison

(3)Great Expectations .......David Copperfield.

(4)Brave New World.......Aldous Huxley.

(5) The Stranger....... Albert Camus.
[+] 1 user Likes Mr Woof's post
22-05-2012, 12:28 PM
(20-05-2012 05:34 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  (1) Voltair's Bastards..... John Ralston Saul

OOooo! Brave New World is awesome. I also read the first chapter of brave new world revisited a while ago - I must definitely read the whole thing, that guy was a thinker.
22-05-2012, 05:36 PM
(20-05-2012 05:34 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  (1) Voltair's Bastards..... John Ralston Saul

??? and Charles Dickens is one of your top 5 favourite magicians?
I think that was a clever way of sneaking in a 6th best book Big Grin

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post