RE: The 5 best books you have read.
Hmmmm......

1) Fiction - Carrie, by Stephen King
2) Humor - The Complete Works of Mark Twain
3) Nonfiction - The Hot Zone, by Richard Preston
4) Science - The Elegant Universe, by Brian Greene
5) Children's - Harry Potter Series bY JK Rowling

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-07-2013, 08:37 PM
Any 5 diskworld books. If anyone who happens to be from the US and has never heard of this series I suggest you start reading, they are a must for any atheist.

Written by Sir Terry Pratchett Obe, they are quite possibly the funniest, most intelligent attack on today's outrageous beliefs ever written. Imagine if Harry Potter was written by Month Python and you're getting closer.

You've got a wizard who got possessed by a powerful spell that the other wizards
Encouraged him to look. Now as a result all the other spells are too scared to stay in his head. Making him the most useless wizard on the Disk.

You get another wizard who works in the library, and has an accident with a spell and gets turned into a Orangutan. But quite likes it, so stays that way. And only says the word ooooook throughout the entire series which is 41 novels so far. But yet the author manages to make the librarian one of the riches characters.

There are hundreds of character you will fall in love with, like Carrot the 7 foot human who was adopted by dwarfs and is convinced he is one. But my personal favorite, Death. He is the only character who appears in every book. And rides around on a huge majestic horse named Binky. Threwout the series you will see him hire a child appreciate Mort, become a farmer for a while. And even join the Disks equivalent of the foreign legion.

Diskworld is a fantasy series like no other, set on a giant disk held up by 4 elephants standing on the back of a giant turtle swimming through the vastness of space looking for a mate. It's full of hilarious paradise of Quantum Physics, Modern Biology. And popular culture the is even a 80 year old warrior famed Threwout the Disk called...... Wait for it, Cohen the Barbarian. There have been films made available on you tube for free. But they don't do the books any justice. If you're ever looking for something to read try Diskworld.
[+] 1 user Likes wheresmybeans's post
05-08-2013, 07:19 PM
Unlike most everyone else I don't read novels anymore. I like history and biographies and finding out what makes people tick and what events brought us to this point in time.

1. Into Thin Air. Jon Krakauer

2. Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl. Harriet Jacobs (an amazing story)

3 .Why I Believed: Reflections of a Former Missionary

4. Kubla Khan by Samuel Coleridge. It's a poem folks. He was on drugs when he wrote it.

His flashing eyes, his floating hair!
Weave a circle round him thrice,
And close your eyes with holy dread,
For he on honey-dew hath fed
And drunk the milk of Paradise!

5. Where Did You Go? Out. What Did You Do? Nothing by Robert Paul Smith.

A very obscure book from the 1950's about childhood and the adventures that should be apart of children everywhere. I was given this book when I was 11 and it has stayed with me all these years. The over scheduled, over protected children of today would learn a thing or two from this book.
05-08-2013, 07:51 PM
1. Lord of the Rings J.R.R. Tolkien
2. Stranger With My Face Lois Duncan
3. Harry Potter. J.K. Rowling
4. Beka Cooper Trilogy. Tamora Pierce
5. Carrie Stephen King
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-08-2013, 07:58 PM
Les Trois Mousquetaires by Alexandre Dumas. It was written in 1844, but is surprisingly good. Solid plot, characters, and style.

I can't point to other specific books right now, but for book series;

The original short stories and novels of Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan Doyle. Another old series, but very much worth reading. It is probably my favourite book series.

A Song of Ice and Fire by George RR Martin. Epic fantasy in the style I prefer - less magic, more plot. Although I wasn't so fond of A Dance With Dragons, I like the series more than any other fantasy/sci fi I have read.

The Richard Sharpe series by Bernard Cornwell. A great action-oriented series following Richard Sharpe, a British soldier who fights in the Napoleonic Wars.

Xanth by Piers Anthony. Light-hearted fantasy adventures. I didn't like some of the newer books, but as a whole the series is still one of my favourites. It's good light reading.

If something can be destroyed by the truth, it might be worth destroying.

[Image: ZcC2kGl.png]