The 5 best books you have read.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-04-2012, 09:24 PM
The 5 best books you have read.
The title says it all so i will start of with my 5

1. War and Peace: Lev Tolstoy Great book covers many things including the invasion of Russia, free masons, place in life and court politics.

2. The Walking Drum: Louis L'amour The first part in a trilogy, but sadly the author died before he could complete the other two.

3. For Whom the Bell Tolls: Ernest Hemingway Tells a story of the Spanish Revolution and of love(its Hemingway after all...)

4. A Farewell to Arms: Ernest Hemingway another war story, of an american in Italy in WWII.

5. Last of the Breed: Louis L'amour Story of an american fighter pilot stranded in Siberia during the cold war.

Under Repair.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes itsacow's post
03-04-2012, 09:28 PM
RE: The 5 best books you have read.
Well I'm not sure if we're talking books on atheism or just books. So I'll throw in some of everything.

The God Delusion
Dune
Biblical Nonsense: A Review of the Bible for Doubting Christians
The Porsche 911
Red Hat Linux Bible (Best bible I ever read)
[+] 1 user Likes Logisch's post
03-04-2012, 10:03 PM
I'll put my best 5 of varying degrees of form and time. Not in any particular order:

1. The Sound and the Fury - William Faulkner
2. American Gods - Neil Gaiman
3. Ecce Homo - Frederich Nietzsche
4. Let the Right One In - John Ajvide Lindqvist
5. The Origin of Species - Charles Darwin
04-04-2012, 09:53 AM
Not in any specific order.

1) Civil Disobedience - Henry David Thoreau

2) Living Dead Girl - Elizabeth Scott

3) The Perks of Being a Wallflower - Stephen Chbosky

4) Enemies and Playmates - Darcia Helle

5) Would you remember ME - Lynette Ferreira

Reading.

"You don't disappoint me.... I think your much braver than you may believe."
bemore

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-04-2012, 10:27 AM
1) Night Watch, by Terry Pratchett. A part of the Watch arc in the Discworld series, it tells the story of Sam Vimes as he gets sent back in time via a magical accident to the eve of a revolution that changed Ankh-Morpork - and his own life - forever. He has to take up the mantle of John Keel, his own mentor and Sergeant of the Night Watch, and lead his friends in shepherding the new revolution - but history demands that they all die if Vimes is ever going to get back home...

2) The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents, by Terry Pratchett. A stand-alone novel in the Discworld series, it tells the story of a talking cat named Maurice and a group of talking rats who conduct a Pied-Piper scheme as they travel from town to town to scam the villagers out of their money. The small town of Bad Blintz is supposed to be their last job, but something is wrong in this town, and they might be in more danger than they realize...

3) Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman. A joint effort by two excellent authors, this is the story of the Biblical apocalypse - and what happens when a demon named Crowley and an angel named Aziraphale decide that they kind of like Earth.

4) Coraline, by Neil Gaiman. A young girl named Coraline isn't all that happy when her parents drag her along to a new house, with odd neighbors and no one to play with. When she discovers a strange little door that leads into a place where her "Other Mother" does everything she wants, and everything is beautiful and fascinating and fun, she thinks she's found paradise - but subtle hints indicate that this new world might not be as idyllic as it seems...

5) Hyperion, by Dan Simmons. In the far-distant future, mankind has spread its influence over the galaxy, eliminating all alien races that might have been a threat to it and ruling in joint power with the artificial intelligences of the TechnoCore. But when a force of ex-human Ousters launches an attack against the remote colony world of Hyperion, the forces of humanity have to act quickly to prevent its loss. Because, down on Hyperion, a strange set of "Time Tombs" sits, waiting to be opened, guarded by strange fields that warp the fabric of reality and a strange, god-like metal being known only as the Shrike...

"Sometimes it is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness."
- Terry Pratchett
[+] 4 users Like Unbeliever's post
04-04-2012, 11:15 AM (This post was last modified: 04-04-2012 11:20 AM by DLJ.)
In no particular order:
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams
  • War and Peace - Leo Tolstoy
  • Lord of the Rings - JRR Tolkein
  • Harold and the Purple Crayon - Crockett Johnson
  • Smiley Trilogy - John Le Carre
actually I must add: Midnight's Children by Salman Rushdie, Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
04-04-2012, 07:29 PM
In no particular order, and there are others I might have chosen, and likely would on a different day.

Godel, Escher, Bach
: An Eternal Golden Braid, Douglas R. Hofstadter

To Kill a Mockingbird, Harper Lee

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, Robert M. Pirsig

The Mote in God's Eye, Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle

The Mind's I: Fantasies and reflections on self and soul, Douglas R. Hofstadter and Daniel C. Dennett

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
04-04-2012, 08:37 PM
1)Brothers Karamazov - Dostoyevsky

2)1984 - Orwell

3)Junky - Burrows

4)Crime and Punishment - Dostoyevsky

5)Russian Revolution - Pipes

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
[+] 2 users Like KidCharlemagne1962's post
05-04-2012, 08:36 AM
Emma. Cause I'm broke in the fucking head. I was in the joint so I couldn't see the movie with my Gwynnies in it, and when I found that book in the prison library, I just took it (fucking felon Big Grin ). When I read it, I could just see my Gwynnies being Emma Woodhouse - she's so sweet and adorable I could just die! - ahem. And then I read how Emma is supposed to be an unlikeable character and stuff and I was like, what the fuck? Not in this universe! Did I mention the sweet/adorable/dying part? Big Grin

What a fucking maroon. But because of that, I don't really consider a book to be really good unless I read it a multiplicity of times. Needless to say, I read Emma more than once.

Revelation Space trilogy by Alastair Reynolds, my fave author. Read each one three times. Wink

Hyperion, like some intelligent cat mentioned, good shit right there.

Moving Mars. Greg Bear can write a fucking book, I tell you whut.

Uplift saga by Brin, read that stuff few times.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
05-04-2012, 09:23 AM
The Giver- Lois Lowry
Birth House by Ami Mckay
The Book of Negroes by Lawrence Hill

I haven't read any other great books in a long time. Sad