The 5 best books you have read.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-05-2012, 09:56 PM
RE: The 5 best books you have read.
It's hard to list the 5 best, because each book I own has different uses for different moods. Kind of like music, depending on what mood I'm in that day, I could list anything from Elton John to Megadeth.

But off the top of my head.

1. 1984 - George Orwell and Brave New World - Aldous Huxley

I'm clumping them together because they both fall under the "a tad cliche, but I'd be lying if I didn't include them" list.

2. The Dark Elf Series - R.A. Salvatore

The 20+ book series of Drizzt Do'Urden is entwined into my entire being. I've been reading them repeatedly since I could read and they still captivate me and make me reflect.

3. Brain Droppings and Napalm & Silly Putty - George Carlin

The funniest two books ever written.

4. The Portable Henry Rollins - Henry Rollins

You will stab yourself in the eye socket until you vomit brilliance with the raw emotion of this book.

5. Ohhhh, what to pick, what to pick. I could go with anything by Chuck Palahniuk, the Odd Thomas series, the Goosebumps series (I loved them as a child)... hmmm. I think I'll chose a real classic piece of literature.

Real Ultimate Power - Robert Hamburger

It's a book written by a thirteen year old about ninjas battling pirates, popping "enormous boners," and suicide by frisbee eating. If I may read an excerpt. Ahem.

"Dark smoke fills the scene and pump up music slowly gets louder. The audience sees a ninja and his girlfriend eating at a super expensive restaurant. The girlfriend is so hot that steam is coming out of her mouth or hair. Some old idiot is sitting by the couple. The idiot is giving the girlfriend "the eye" and popping like 16 boners. But the ninja sees the boners and the music really pumps up. The audience knows this guy is dead meat for sure. But out of nowhere, the old idiot pulls off his jacket to show that he is a pirate with lasers and everything. The ninja is like yeah right who cares and then pops the biggest boner ever, bigger than the biggest blackest boner alive. The ninja's boner smashes the entire restaurant. Every single one of the pirate's boners explodes while making a whistling sound. The ninja looks back at his girlfriend. She smiles and they pork.

END

-While writing this script, I head-butt my dog so hard that we both screamed. "

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Buddy Christ's post
22-05-2012, 10:51 PM
(22-05-2012 09:56 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  -While writing this script, I head-butt my dog so hard that we both screamed. "
This line is fucking brilliant.Please tell me it is part of that book 'cause, I was having trouble getting into it, until this line. Shy

There is no shame in not knowing. The problem arises when irrational thought and attendant behavior fill the vacuum left by ignorance. ~ Neil deGrasse Tyson
Perception is up for grabs, and truth seems to be the one precious thing, that no one wants anyone to find.
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
23-05-2012, 12:05 AM
(22-05-2012 10:51 PM)kim Wrote:  
(22-05-2012 09:56 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  -While writing this script, I head-butt my dog so hard that we both screamed. "
This line is fucking brilliant.Please tell me it is part of that book 'cause, I was having trouble getting into it, until this line. Shy

Yep. I recall once he ends his story with something like "That story was so awesome that I popped a huge boner then dribbled urine."

Here's the site that spawned the book.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
06-07-2012, 09:32 PM
I know I have probably left something out, but this is what comes to mind in no particular order:
1) Brave New World - Aldous Huxley (I didn't enjoy reading until I came across this book my junior or senior year of high school.)
2) Outlander (series) - Diana Gabaldon
3) Shibumi - Trevanian
4) Ender's Game - Orson Scott Card
5) On the Road - Jack Kerouac

"Well behaved women seldom make history" - Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
06-07-2012, 11:13 PM
I have been an avid reader most of my life...the kinds of books I read change from time to time. I read a little bit of everything often depending on my mood. There are just too many books that I have loved, and some I read over and over again for me to even try to start a list.

However, one that I started at least a dozen times over the course of a few years after it was on the best seller lists is Lake Wobegon days. I was on a mission to read it back in the 80s because of all the buzz...I think it's the only book I ever started that I simply couldn't finish.

And I CANNOT read romance novels.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted, and some showed up along the way. - JF
06-07-2012, 11:24 PM
  • Night Watch, by Terry Pratchett
  • The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents, by Terry Pratchett
  • Coraline, by Neil Gaiman
  • The Runes of the Earth, by Stephen R. Donaldson
  • Good Omens, by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett

"Sometimes it is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness."
- Terry Pratchett
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
16-07-2012, 06:23 PM
1. palace walk naguib mahfouz
2. the portable atheist essential readings for the non-believer by chris hitchens
3. Heading hunting and human sacrifice among native americans a history forgotten
4.the spoon river anthology by egar lee masters
5. collected poems by sara teasdale.
[+] 1 user Likes friendlyselina's post
20-07-2012, 12:25 AM
1.) The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain
2.) Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger
3.) Synaptic Self: How Our Brains Became Who We Are by Jospeh LeDoux
4.) Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden
5.) The Green Mile by Stephen King

These are, by know means, the absolutely best list of books but they are my favorites and one of the most moving for me in terms of literature.

I'm obsessed with Mark Twain <3
26-07-2012, 10:36 PM
I have a new #2..

The Foundation Trilogy by Isaac Asimov.

I lost the book though and I just started the third part.

Under Repair.
29-07-2012, 09:54 AM
Top five, huh? That's going to be tough.
5. Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand--This book is amazing. I borrowed it from my science teacher last year. Its a true story about a World War II POW that crash landed on the sea. He floated for 42 days before he was found--by the Japanese. It's an amazing story of strength and resilience.
4.The Hidden Reality by Brian Greene--I love Brian Greene. He has this great ability of explaining things. He makes string theory sound way too simple. Tongue
3.Across the Universe by Beth Revies--This is sort of a mix between sci-fi, romance, and action. I didn't know it was possible. Tongue Brilliant book. If you're into that kind of stuff, you'll have to set a day aside to read it.
2.Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen--A dramatic romance. It's kind of explicit, but beautifully written. If you've seen the movie, the book is ten times better.
1. A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson--Just brilliant. This is another one I borrowed from my teacher (I raided his bookshelf Tongue ) You would think it'd be boring, but its not. The author has this amazing way of keeping your attention. Humorous and well-written.
And of course, I recommend every single one of these...Smile

"Leave the atom alone."
-E.Y. Harburgh