The 5 worst things

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-11-2012, 07:36 AM
RE: The 5 worst things
(11-11-2012 05:58 AM)Idlecuriosity Wrote:  ...
the notion that individual choice is secondary to the wishes of the system/party/state.

That reminds me.

I must check in on Europe and see how they are doing with their Austerity measures.

I wonder what it's going to be like for the US, looking up from the bottom of their "fiscal cliff". Will we see riots? Maybe another revolution?

That damn state! How dare they try to save us from ourselves!

Capitalism + personal choice has proved sustainable so far. Yes Yup, that's right. No

Incidentally, of the PRCs that I dally with, any negative comment (from me) about Mao is met with a look of bewilderment.
Only a few short generations after the purges. The human capacity for uncritical-thinking never ceases to amaze me.

So what are we left with?
A benign dictatorship, like Singapore? Demonisation is not tolerated. Corruption is not tolerated (it's called charging/pricing).

Ok, so I can't import drugs or chew gum but that's a small price to pay for the best quality of life that I have ever experienced.

Alternatives? Anyone?

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-11-2012, 07:49 AM
(11-11-2012 07:36 AM)DLJ Wrote:  A benign dictatorship
That's an oxymoron. No dictatorship can be benign. Yeah, you're fine with it, because you probably don't like gum and don't much care for drugs (or catch up on your pot when you're in EnglandWink), but what if all of a sudden they decided they had something against people over forty? Or people with blue eyes. Or people who can't run a mile under 3 minutes. Or something as ridiculous? No human being or political organisation should have such power. Power corrupts and that's that. No one, and I mean no one can curtail my freedom of speech. And I don't give a fuck how benign they are, whether they're doing it for my own good, or if I'm literally swimming in caviar and champagne.

Alternatives? With the risk of repeating myself - the Scandinavians seem to be doing pretty well for themselves. And not just in terms of wealth and clean, gumless streets.
And personal choice will become exponentially wiser, once people learn to actually think for themselves and not let someone else do it for them. Because that someone else will always, always have their own agenda.

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
11-11-2012, 09:32 AM
Fox News should be on that list
11-11-2012, 10:14 AM

1. okra
  2. Oprah
  3. opera
  4. operations
  5. opinions

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
11-11-2012, 10:26 AM
Quote:
Oprah
Amen!

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
11-11-2012, 11:07 AM
The human tendency to stop thinking and become swept away in groups.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Groupthink

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
11-11-2012, 02:10 PM
(11-11-2012 07:36 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(11-11-2012 05:58 AM)Idlecuriosity Wrote:  ...
the notion that individual choice is secondary to the wishes of the system/party/state.

That reminds me.

I must check in on Europe and see how they are doing with their Austerity measures.

I wonder what it's going to be like for the US, looking up from the bottom of their "fiscal cliff". Will we see riots? Maybe another revolution?

That damn state! How dare they try to save us from ourselves!

Capitalism + personal choice has proved sustainable so far. Yes Yup, that's right. No

Incidentally, of the PRCs that I dally with, any negative comment (from me) about Mao is met with a look of bewilderment.
Only a few short generations after the purges. The human capacity for uncritical-thinking never ceases to amaze me.

So what are we left with?
A benign dictatorship, like Singapore? Demonisation is not tolerated. Corruption is not tolerated (it's called charging/pricing).

Ok, so I can't import drugs or chew gum but that's a small price to pay for the best quality of life that I have ever experienced.

Alternatives? Anyone?
You wouldn't be willfully over simplifying would you ?

Unless I've misunderstood your comment, the example of the European austerity measures actually argues against what you appear to infer. These measures are more about the European Monetary Union pursuing its own economic and political agenda, rather than an example of the State saving us from ourselves.

As far as individual choice goes, I don't understand where capitalism comes in. Sure capitalism is far from perfect, but it's an economic system, not a political regime. Individual choice is more about having a say in your career choice, when and how many children you'd like, where you want to live, being able to voice an opinion without being imprisoned, stuff like that...
11-11-2012, 03:01 PM
(11-11-2012 07:10 AM)DLJ Wrote:  SHARE THE WEALTH. EAT THE RICH!

Fixed. I remember my now actuary brother coming up with that spontaneously some 30 years ago now when we were discussing trickle down economics and he said they should call it tinkle down economics 'cause it's just the rich pissing on the poor and telling them it's ambrosia.

Breathing - it's more art than science.
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
11-11-2012, 06:36 PM
I believe the saying is, when the poor look up, all they see is assholes. When the rich look down, all they see is shit.

[Image: chart-shit-heads.jpg]

I don't talk gay, I don't walk gay, it's like people don't even know I'm gay unless I'm blowing them.
[Image: 10h27hu.jpg]
[+] 4 users Like earmuffs's post