The 9/11 "mosque"

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
06-09-2010, 01:31 PM
RE: The 9/11 "mosque"
My opionion on the mosque is to let them do it. I mean there is really nothing anyone can do because they have freedom of religion, and you cannot actually see the mosque from the site where the trade centers used to be, for it is two blocks away. It is tragic that the attacks happened, and I feel sad for the victims and their families but we need to move on.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-09-2010, 02:50 AM

As I've said many times ... too many ... there can be no doubt about their right to go ahead with the community center project. But if they truly want to do something about the anti-muslim bigotry in the US, I maintain this project is not going to be very effective at achieving that particular goal. I can't say for sure what their objectives truly are, but even good intentions can be subverted by those who might indeed use this project for other purposes.
Quote this message in a reply
07-09-2010, 06:27 AM
Yes, I understood your point every time. I just completely disagreed wit it.

That's ok, we can disagree. Reasonable debates make the world go around (contrary to what you may have read elsewhere from those silly scientists).

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
07-09-2010, 07:49 AM

As I've noted in another thread, the more that moderate muslims can separate themselves from their fanatical brethern, the better off things will be for them. It's in their own self-interest to do so. It's contrary to their own self-interests to go ahead with this project, no matter how much I believe it's their right to do so.

Yes, we can agree to disagree. That's an acceptable position. I trust you're being facetious abou the "silly scientists".
07-09-2010, 04:33 PM
No, I'm not. I really believe that the world does not move unless two people are having a debate about something.

This is my rational for being so argumentative. Plus, I read it in a book once so it HAS to be true.

08-09-2010, 03:45 AM

OK - I give up. If I can't tell a serious argument from being facetious, then I'm simply lost. This form of communication can make such distinctions difficult.

Scientists argue all the time as a natural element of how science works, so there's no evident reason to believe that any real scientist would want to stifle debate, unless one or more of the debaters is pitifully ignorant or a moron, in which case, there's no point in going on. Or, the scientist(s) wishing to stifle debate may indeed be silly scientists, who don't understand how science actually works.

Having a debate isn't like the famous Monty Python sketch where the one person simply gainsays everything the other person says.
08-09-2010, 06:16 AM
I agree this format is not always great in communicating intent. So, here is a handy tip on at least reading me: while I'm certainly capable, and should be expected to, make some pretty stupid comments, if I say something so incredibly stupid that no rational person could believe it, like I don't believe the world goes round unless two people are debating, it's a pretty good bet I'm being facetious.

That said, we are both somewhat new here and have not picked up on each others styles yet so I can see where the "silly scientist" comment threw you off. I sort of thought the fact that I threw it in at the end of what was a ridiculous comment would have shown it was sarcasm but I guess not. That's a failing of the author and not the reader so I'll try to do better.

08-09-2010, 05:21 PM

Personally, I think that there is no real reason to prevent from the mosqu from getting built up. I say it with some real sorrow in my heart, because I think that it's Ethical-wrong, but I think that as a Democratic, It'll be even more Ethical-wrong to prevent the mosqu from getting built up...

(Sorry for grammer and spelling, I'm realllllly tired...)
08-09-2010, 05:29 PM

(08-09-2010 05:21 PM)guyron Wrote:  Personally, I think that there is no real reason to prevent from the mosqu from getting built up. I say it with some real sorrow in my heart, because I think that it's Ethical-wrong, but I think that as a Democratic, It'll be even more Ethical-wrong to prevent the mosqu from getting built up...

(Sorry for grammer and spelling, I'm realllllly tired...)

Welcome to both the form and the discussion guyron! Glad to have you here. There is a separate thread for you to introduce yourself if you would like and there are plenty of helpful and friendly people around. Glad to have another member!
14-09-2010, 08:47 AM

This!

Earlier this year, an organization called the Cordoba Initiative were granted permission by the appropriate authorities in New York City to turn an old Burlington Coat Factory at 51 Park Place in lower Manhattan into a community center. The organization was headed by an Imam named Feisal Abdul Rauf, who has made it his life's work to stand against radical cults like al Qaeda and teach young Muslims that America is a place where one can freely worship at the appointed times and then join other faith communities in America in the task of building a great nation. The proposed community center was to include a basketball court and space for different religious communities in New York City to have interfaith relations. It was also going to have a place for Muslims to pray, if they liked.

The news didn't sit well with many people in New York, most notably people who didn't live in Manhattan. This is because they were told by a gaggle of dumb Islamophobes that what was planned was a "Ground Zero mosque." Of course, the planned community center was not, strictly speaking, a "mosque." And it was most definitely not "at Ground Zero." "Ground Zero" is the site of an interminable municipal construction project. There are no plans to build a mosque there. "Ground Zero" is also not the name of a recognized New York City neighborhood, like DUMBO or Murray Hill. But, here's the thing: even if it was, the battle to stop the "Ground Zero mosque" was already lost, because there already is a mosque in that neighborhood.

This logic failed to sink in, because very few people outside of me and the good people over at Wonkette made any attempt to bring these facts to light. But it might not have mattered, because the fertile field of opposition to the Park51 community center was the raw wound of the September 11th attacks. Obviously, many people are still feeling the loss of that day. And that loss breeds many emotions, among them sadness and anger. And people definitely do have the right to express their sadness and their anger. But what people don't have the right to expect is that the government will intervene to remedy claims that have no basis in law.

As soon as the media saw themselves a shiny shiny shining thing shining shinily in New York City, they pounced! How perfect! Something for us to talk about during the slow-news summer! I mean, we could talk about the nation's unemployment crisis, but that would mean we'd have to talk to poor, jobless people, and there's no currency in having access to a bunch of poors. Right away, they accepted the premise that this was a "Ground Zero mosque," when it wasn't. And so, by the power vested in the media, things that weren't in fact true were accorded the privilege of being "one side of a great debate" and "an interesting point of view."

Story continues below