The 9/11 "mosque"

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
14-09-2010, 11:07 AM
RE: The 9/11 "mosque"
That was, by far, the best explanation of this "issue" that I have seen to date.

Fantastic job.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-09-2010, 11:32 AM

(14-09-2010 11:07 AM)BnW Wrote:  That was, by far, the best explanation of this "issue" that I have seen to date.

Fantastic job.

I should site my source:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/09/10...=fb&src=sp
Quote this message in a reply
14-09-2010, 02:25 PM
Beware of slow news days. more bullshit at 11:00.
20-09-2010, 05:03 AM
I personally would not put any religious structure up there since a mosque, temple, church, whatever, isn't going to benefit society, but the mosque has every right to exist, although I don't know why anyone would build it there since it's probably going to get torched to the ground by people who want to save us from sharia law.
22-09-2010, 08:03 AM
(04-09-2010 07:10 AM)2buckchuck Wrote:  There can be no doubt that the muslims have the right to build this mosque/community center - that's a non-issue. If the moderate muslims indeed have as a goal the healing of the divide between muslims and the other monotheistic faiths, then this project is not the way to do it. The whole business has widened that division, not bridged it.

I disagree in the long term, tho you are certainly correct in the short term. For now, it's causing a big stink, but once it is built and once it becomes obvious that the mosque being there is no big deal, it will actually be a very good propoganda tool for easing inter-faith tensions.
22-09-2010, 08:26 AM

(22-09-2010 08:03 AM)gamutman Wrote:  
(04-09-2010 07:10 AM)2buckchuck Wrote:  There can be no doubt that the muslims have the right to build this mosque/community center - that's a non-issue. If the moderate muslims indeed have as a goal the healing of the divide between muslims and the other monotheistic faiths, then this project is not the way to do it. The whole business has widened that division, not bridged it.

I disagree in the long term, tho you are certainly correct in the short term. For now, it's causing a big stink, but once it is built and once it becomes obvious that the mosque being there is no big deal, it will actually be a very good propoganda tool for easing inter-faith tensions.
This is one possible outcome, of course, albeit one that's well onto the optimist side of possible outcomes. Another possibility is that someone will firebomb the place after it's built. Or it could turn out to be a long-term lightning rod for anti-muslim bigots, a site for repeated protests and even violence. Further, despite the apparently good intentions of the builders, all it would take is that one muslim terrorist be shown to have spent considerable time there, and the arguments of the anti-islamist fear mongers would be "validated".

I'd like to think your prediction will be the correct one, but it's just speculation at this point.
Quote this message in a reply