The Adjustment Bureau

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-03-2011, 05:04 AM
The Adjustment Bureau
Has anyone else here seen it yet? I found myself stifling groans and gritting my teeth in outrage at times. Especially during the part where the Dark Ages were blamed on us having too much free will and the Renaissance attributed to "The Chairman" re-instating strict control over us. The basic premise has logical holes one could throw a cat through. Even for a Hollywood movie this was just insufferably nonsensical, an insult to one's intelligence, particularly for an atheist. It may have been an attempt by some Evil Christian Scientist to make atheist heads explode. I do NOT suggest that anyone go see it, unless you intend to take rotten fruit and throw it at the screen.

The way to see by Faith, is to shut the eye of Reason. - Ben Franklin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-03-2011, 01:14 PM
RE: The Adjustment Bureau
I take it this is another piece of fundie propaganda ?

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin
24-03-2011, 08:21 PM
Actually, no, because fundies may have a problem with it, too. But it starts with the premise that God has a plan for us all and gets worse from there, with ludicrous results, with nonsense such as the main character literally circumventing his fate by simply running through the streets of New York faster than the angels in pursuit of him can, and God rewarding the MC for defying Him repeatedly (what would be the likelihood of that happening?)

25-03-2011, 07:05 AM
Quote:and God rewarding the MC for defying Him
MC = Main Character ?

Well , the fate argument is a lovely one for comfort but it's just an excuse to make up for crap that inevitably happens in everyone and anyone's life.
And angels chasing you down the street ? Seriously ?
And this was in Hollywood ? What drugs is that city on ?

25-03-2011, 04:44 PM
(25-03-2011 07:05 AM)gaglamesh731 Wrote:  And angels chasing you down the street ? Seriously ?
And this was in Hollywood ? What drugs is that city on ?

This is what happens when the same malady befalls writers that, as we know, often befalls actors. By the way, how is Chalie Sheen?

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
25-03-2011, 05:48 PM
What did happen to Charlie Sheen ? I heard rumors but nothing definitive.
My gripe is with actors like Tom Cruise who promote the cult of Scientology.God I hate that guy.

25-03-2011, 06:07 PM
And Mel Gibson for trying to promote the Bullshit of Christ.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
25-03-2011, 08:26 PM
Sorry, I"m new to this site, didn't realize there was a separate thread just for movies, or I would have put this there. Yes, MC = Main Character. "That city" is on ALL the drugs. Charlie Sheen is apparently selling out arenas all over and may or may not be returning to Two and a Half Men (which I've always thought was a very lame show to begin with). And Mel Gibson is an asshole, which I hate to admit since I love some of the movies he starred in. I've learned to separate the artist from his/her work when it comes to movies, books, and music, though.

26-03-2011, 09:39 PM
Yes, Mel did a lot of good movies before he went off the deep end.

27-03-2011, 12:11 PM
Isn't Mel a bit of a jew-phobe ? He seems almost paranoid that jews are trying to take over the world or something.