The Adjustment Bureau

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-07-2011, 11:25 AM
Video The Adjustment Bureau
Not sure if anyone here other than me has seen this movie yet, but if you haven't I reccomend it because it's rather entertaining. And if you have let's discuss it's central themes shall we?

*SPOILERS AHEAD*[Image: th_SpoilerAlert.gif]

So let's start with the whole free will issue brought up roughly just over a quarter of the way through. The idea that we only have the illusion of free will because every time we are given free will we fuck it up royally. I thought this concept was very interesting and would almost have some merit if you know we weren't fucking things up in between all the exampled times given in the movie. Still it made me laugh for some reason.

I hated the bit where the "case workers" are telling him what's up and he's just sitting in the chair not asking questions. Very unrealistic especially when they are describing his inability to take things at face value. I'd be all like "Why the spacey technology if you guys are from Heaven?" to start with. But I thought his attitude was oddly very true to religious people in general, blind belief, obvious disregard for the rules, and reckless endangerment of all those around them because of this belief.

How about the idea that the big guy upstairs is pushing for him to be president, I'm sure that's not going to help any future atheist candidates position.

The comes the end, where after all of that they give you a message about how everything is a test for us to overcome for some reason not given, and that maybe god just wants us to write our own destiny after all???? Malarky I say, but a good movie none the less. I wonder if the christians who watch "The Ledge" will ever say it's good? It may not be I haven't seen it, but if it was I bet they would say it wasn't. Jerks. Big Grin

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-07-2011, 12:33 PM
RE: The Adjustment Bureau
I also thought this was a good movie. But I didn't see the Adjustment Bureau as "people from Haven" as you said. If I remember correctly, they never said it, nor did they mention God. As far as I understood it, they were some alien race who is "guarding" and leading us. They could be viewed as God and angels, but they are not, at least I didn't see them as such. I would also say this is pretty atheistic movie, because you can view them as God and angels, but then you see how wrong you are, because they are actually some alien clerks, just doing their job. When you see them in that building that looks like library, all doing their desk jobs, you realize they are not divine, they are some guys on a job. It's just that they live for a long time and have cool hats and portals...

Of course, this is how I viewed them, but to some Christian, they would be divine, angels, God, whatever. So the movie lets you choose what to think of it. And it is a good thing they did there, better than to explain their existence in detail. I liked this more than Inception or Source Code.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
Find all posts by this user
18-07-2011, 12:42 PM
Oh man I liked Inception way more, but have yet to see source code. Sad

I see what you are saying about the aliens thing, but I couldn't see it that way, I felt like they were definitely leading the way of the angels. They even mention that they've been called that. But what tipped me into viewing it that way was the life blueprints, simply because I'm not sure how an alien species technology would advance in that direction to be able to perfectly predict every single human event that would ever happen to us in the history of our lives. Also they made many references to bible teachings such as gods divine plan. But it's true that they leave it completely up to your own interpretation in the end. I think that's what hooked Matt Damon, because to me he doesn't sound much like a bible kind of guy. I know he doesn't believe in creationism. Of course it could have been the massive paycheck and the cool hipster hats.
[Image: kimo_hat.jpg?w=158&h=103]

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
20-07-2011, 08:29 AM
Have you ever seen Star Trek? Have you seen how many different entities there are in space? Like Q for example. Old civilizations call it God, then comes Picard and kills it. Smile So why not, why call it God, when it can be some extremely powerful, maybe telepathic entity from who knows what dimension or galaxy... Of course, primitive civilizations can not understand that, so it easier to call it God...

Smile

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
Find all posts by this user