The Adventures of Nurse in Church

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-04-2015, 08:57 AM
RE: The Adventures of Nurse in Church
Bummer, Nurse. Good to keep your eye on the ball and step out for the long haul.

As for music in services, I've always understood it. Even to this atheist musician, landing my music right, where it speaks to the ineffable inside me, that's a spiritual moment.

<grabs helmet, dives for cover>
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
05-04-2015, 12:43 PM
(05-04-2015 08:57 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Bummer, Nurse. Good to keep your eye on the ball and step out for the long haul.

As for music in services, I've always understood it. Even to this atheist musician, landing my music right, where it speaks to the ineffable inside me, that's a spiritual moment.

<grabs helmet, dives for cover>

I love the word ineffable, just because of Douglas Adams:

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all."

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 6 users Like morondog's post
05-04-2015, 01:29 PM
(08-03-2015 12:25 PM)Nurse Wrote:  Last night I kicked it at the farm. Thought that might be one way for me to yet again skip church on a non-work weekend...I was wrong.

The power of Christ compelled me to go to a southern baptist church this morning - the parental units persuaded me, and for once I ran out of excuses. I tried saying I had no makeup or clothes (mom had a cute dress that fit me and matched my boots, and she had a drawer of extra makeup), the I'll be late if I shower excuse - "that's ok doll, just get there when you can, the first 45 minutes will just be singing, anyway", and she had a blow dryer and curling iron. Then she pulled out te big guns, she told my son "Mommy will meet us at church." Dammit.

Today's sermon was on prayer. Apparently, Father God is not obligated to answer prayers of the unsaved (must be why we atheists don't get heard). My marriage failed because we didn't pray enough. Others are blessed because they pray. Oh, and he only answers prayers if you call him by name, so it's gotta start with Yahweh, Eloheim, Mighty Creator of the Earth and Heavens. When I walked in (I was almost an hour late) the preacher was ranting about fornication and praying for God to take away lustful thoughts.

I'd like to present a fun outline of the sermon, but most of it was just rhetoric spun in circles.

The service closed with a beautiful duet. I actually cried a bit. As I'm sitting there contemplating the theatrics I've just suffered through, these two young people sang with such passion to an acoustic guitar. It made me think about why some religious music is so damn moving. It's not necessarily the words, it's the passion behind it, that glimpse into a person that if not presented in music would be highly intimate and private. At least I think that's it, I'm still trying to figure it out.

I'll be going to church quite a bit over this next year while I pick up my personal pieces and glue myself back together. I'll be at church on Easter for certain. I may start taking notes so I can come back here to vent and analyze. This closet sucks.

Nurse, can you move? Like across to the other side of the country? Someplace where you aren't around your family. Someplace where you can live your life and not be bothered by religious family members.

Just a thought.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
03-04-2016, 10:09 AM
Ugh. Today was my 4th Sunday out of the past 5 in church. Today I had to go to Sunday School.

I've got to come up with something to keep my mind occupied while I sit through this shit. Today was a visiting pastor - he lived up to the smug holier than thou humble servant to be expected from a Southern Baptist preacher. The Sunday School teacher taught me in high school.

I don't even know where to start on today's experience...

Time for Mexican food.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 6 users Like Nurse's post
03-04-2016, 11:47 AM
(03-04-2016 10:09 AM)Nurse Wrote:  Ugh. Today was my 4th Sunday out of the past 5 in church. Today I had to go to Sunday School.

I've got to come up with something to keep my mind occupied while I sit through this shit. Today was a visiting pastor - he lived up to the smug holier than thou humble servant to be expected from a Southern Baptist preacher. The Sunday School teacher taught me in high school.

Time for Mexican food.

I always thought it was so silly that even grownup Baptists had to go to Sunday school.

Maybe spend the sermons playing Baptist Buzzword Bingo and promising yourself a Margarita for every Bingo--except that you'd probably get alcohol poisoning if you did that.
[+] 2 users Like julep's post
03-04-2016, 11:53 AM
(03-04-2016 11:47 AM)julep Wrote:  
(03-04-2016 10:09 AM)Nurse Wrote:  Ugh. Today was my 4th Sunday out of the past 5 in church. Today I had to go to Sunday School.

Time for Mexican food.

I always thought it was so silly that even grownup Baptists had to go to Sunday school.

Maybe spend the sermons playing Baptist Buzzword Bingo and promising yourself a Margarita for every Bingo--except that you'd probably get alcohol poisoning if you did that.

Lol - I like it. Hmm. Maybe y'all can help me come up with each Sunday's buzzword.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
03-04-2016, 01:36 PM
Still waiting to hear about a Sharon Stone leg cross moment with nursey in church.
Angel

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
03-04-2016, 09:59 PM
(03-04-2016 11:47 AM)julep Wrote:  I always thought it was so silly that even grownup Baptists had to go to Sunday school.

And I can attest from personal experience in dealing with my father, such classes are nothing more than tools of indoctrination, not education. I still know far more about the Bible than my father does, and I've never been to single Sunday school brainwashing session, but he thinks they give him special insight that somehow invalidates what I say. This is why I don't really talk to my dad anymore; he's made it abundantly clear that what I have to say doesn't matter.

So why talk?

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 4 users Like EvolutionKills's post
04-04-2016, 08:31 AM
(03-04-2016 01:36 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Still waiting to hear about a Sharon Stone leg cross moment with nursey in church.
Angel

The spirit of Jezebel lives deep inside her.........

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 1 user Likes The Organic Chemist's post
04-04-2016, 10:16 AM
(03-04-2016 09:59 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(03-04-2016 11:47 AM)julep Wrote:  I always thought it was so silly that even grownup Baptists had to go to Sunday school.

And I can attest from personal experience in dealing with my father, such classes are nothing more than tools of indoctrination, not education. I still know far more about the Bible than my father does, and I've never been to single Sunday school brainwashing session, but he thinks they give him special insight that somehow invalidates what I say. This is why I don't really talk to my dad anymore; he's made it abundantly clear that what I have to say doesn't matter.

So why talk?

We are on the same boat as far as not discussing religion with parents, no good comes from it, only bitter feelings.

If I were to sit down with them to discuss their own dogmas I have no doubt that I have much more knowledge of them than they do.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post