The Adventures of Nurse in Church

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-04-2016, 11:00 PM
RE: The Adventures of Nurse in Church
(04-04-2016 10:31 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(04-04-2016 12:53 PM)Nurse Wrote:  I tried that years ago. It still does not replace Sunday worship, especially for my son. I heard about it almost every fucking phone call - "My boy needs to be in church. My boy needs to learn how to go to church." I have the rest of the week to do good deeds, Sunday morning is to equip me for the rest of the week's challenges. Rolleyes

The things we do for the sake of family.

Hug

They've been instrumental in helping me keep my head above water. I love them. I don't know that I could continue to function if I lost them. Everyone has a breaking point.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Nurse's post
04-04-2016, 11:01 PM
(04-04-2016 11:00 PM)Nurse Wrote:  
(04-04-2016 10:31 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  The things we do for the sake of family.

Hug

They've been instrumental in helping me keep my head above water. I love them. I don't know that I could continue to function if I lost them. Everyone has a breaking point.

Totally, I get it. If it were me, I'd probably do the same.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
04-04-2016, 11:17 PM
(04-04-2016 10:55 PM)Nurse Wrote:  I live a complicated life that comes with certain societal and familial expectations. Nonconformity (atheism) has its consequences, of which are too great for me at present. It boils down to custody of my son and ability to escape debt. I live in the closet, and as such I don't get nagged, kicked out of my home (I'm moving back in with my parents), and have assistance with my raising my seven year old son - I work 13+ hour night shifts. After my divorce I have no retirement (I worked unbenefited because of the huge increase in my hourly wages, and we invested in my ex's account. Had I known to hold out until THIS summer, I could have gone after half of his retirement because we would have been married ten years, but instead I get nothing), so me getting out of debt is essential for my future.

I get it. Smile

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
29-05-2016, 09:34 AM
Ugh. Shoot me now. I'm en route to a contemporary non denominational church. Mom was adamant my son go either to our church or his friend's (spent the night with a kid from school) this morning. His parents invited me to church.

Part of me wants to be honest and tell them I'm a secular humanist when I visit but I don't want my son to be left out with his friends and parents refuse to let their kids come over because I'm an atheist. Because you KNOW that knowledge will spread like wildfire.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 4 users Like Nurse's post
29-05-2016, 01:01 PM
Ok. So parts of it were great. I usually hate contemporary music, but these people actually had talent. The sermon was about controlling your emotions, checking your attitude and being happy even if the storm is raging. It wasn't all rhetoric - there was legitimate thought and intelligence put into the message. "Statistics show 80% of what you worry about never happens." The people were friendly in a not cheesy way. Today's preacher had 1.5" ear plugs. The pastors that usually preach are a husband and wife team. The wife has tattoos. There are gay couples there. So yeh, if I'm going to have to go to church, this might be acceptable. My son is still gonna get fed Jesus, but it's the non judgmental all are welcome hippy Jesus. That's what matters most to me, my son keeping an open mind and being loving and accepting.

I also think I saw "the one who got away" there. Unfortunately he's married. Weeping

[+] 3 users Like Nurse's post
29-05-2016, 02:49 PM
(29-05-2016 01:01 PM)Nurse Wrote:  My son is still gonna get fed Jesus, but it's the non judgmental all are welcome hippy Jesus.

I think I finally tracked down Trainwreck. He's been resurrected as Hippie Jesus.

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
29-05-2016, 03:17 PM
(29-05-2016 02:49 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(29-05-2016 01:01 PM)Nurse Wrote:  My son is still gonna get fed Jesus, but it's the non judgmental all are welcome hippy Jesus.

I think I finally tracked down Trainwreck. He's been resurrected as Hippie Jesus.

Years ago, a friend and I once pondered what would happen if you licked a whole sheet of acid, slapped it over your forehead, and covered it with tape (with the words HELP ME written in magic marker). Our assumption was something like that.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
[+] 2 users Like Old Man Marsh's post
29-05-2016, 03:31 PM
(29-05-2016 01:01 PM)Nurse Wrote:  "Statistics show 80% of what you worry about never happens."

Yeah, it's that 20% that's the problem. Dodgy

But on a different note... I'm glad to hear that you had a half-way decent experience at this church. Maybe this place can be a good middle ground between what your mother wants and what you want until you can get into your own place.
[+] 2 users Like Aliza's post
29-05-2016, 04:09 PM
A few thoughts:

- Find yourself a hot atheist sugar daddy.

- Spike the communion wine with something entertaining (LSD, THC, ExLax)

- Bribe the kids in Sunday School to sit perfectly still and silent contemplating Jesus using chocolate-covered coffee beans.

On a more realistic note, if you take a smartphone to church and record the audio I'm certain we can get it back to you MST3K style. This could cause problems with giggle fits the following week.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 4 users Like Paleophyte's post
29-05-2016, 05:03 PM
Are there still altar calls at the non-denom place? They seem so mellow from your description, that it made me wonder. (That and apparently my cousin's Baptist minister husband never makes any, but that's more because he never has guests.)

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Shai Hulud's post