The Afterlife: an Eternity of Tacos and BJs

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-05-2011, 07:51 PM
The Afterlife: an Eternity of Tacos and BJs
This is one of those topics that I'm sure has been discussed at least once in the 24 pages of Atheism posts, but let's discuss it again.

First, I want to ask:

"What happened to the people who died in the Old Testament?"

Heaven and Hell and any mention of an afterlife didn't exist until Jesus started ad libbing to sell more tickets to his Jesus On The Mound performance. (It was opening night and he was losing attendees to the play next door, "Frank On The Produce Cart" so he made a few drastic statements... these methods would later be copied by a popular children's show entitled "Fox News")

So what happened to all the prophets and followers and sinners and innocent babies slaughtered in the name of God? Are they still in the ground, waiting for the Big Day when God casts "Army of the Dead" and they can zombie their way up to heaven?

[Image: zombie.jpg]

But my second and more serious question is:

"Is there any eternity that wouldn't become pure agonizing torture?"

This is the main reason religion still thrives, fear of eternal punishment and hope for eternal bliss. But is there any scenario imaginable that could last for eternity and not become old, boring, and monotonous, eventually becoming a hell in itself?

I don't care if you eat chocolate cake for every meal while being fellated by any woman that you can create with your imagination, all while having limitless super powers. Everything becomes repetitious. People I love become a pain the ass after spending a lifetime on earth... eternity? No thanks.

And some say that it's more like a state of mind rather than a physical experience. But even a feeling of perpetual bliss... would become less and less blissful over time. Like a junkie, you would need a greater dose of your bliss fix to maintain. And if you say "no, it's heaven so you never get used to the bliss," I really don't want to spent eternity like a post-WW2 wounded veteran; a vegetable attached to a morphine drip, unable to move or speak, just a mental state.

The only true "eternal peace" I can think of... is what I already expect to happen when I die. I cease to exist. I don't meet my dead relatives or hang out with God in Cloud City. I simply "stop existing." Just like how it was before I existed. Nothingness. No worry, no emotion, no senses, no thoughts, just emptiness.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Buddy Christ's post
23-05-2011, 05:54 PM
RE: The Afterlife: an Eternity of Tacos and BJs
I gotta say I agree. I think the reason people are so determined to believe in an afterlife is partly down to fear and partly down to the fact that it is (in my opinion) impossible for the human brain to comprehend the idea of non-existence as we have never experienced anything like it. I think this is one of the reasons we, as a species, are so determined to make-believe an alternative, our brain is rejecting the notion of something we cannot comprehend.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
26-05-2011, 11:24 AM
(22-05-2011 07:51 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  "What happened to the people who died in the Old Testament?"
The answer to that is found in Daniel 12:2,
Quote:And many of those who sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake, some to everlasting life, and some to shame and everlasting contempt.

Quote:"Is there any eternity that wouldn't become pure agonizing torture?"
Yes. An eternity that is spent in the presence of God. God is infinite and since it his nature to be a creator he will be bringing new things into existence for all eternity. Those who are saved will spend eternity getting to know God better and enjoying the things he creates. They will never have to worry about getting bored with existence because there will always be new things and experiences.

The information in ancient libraries came from real minds of real people. The far more complex information in cells came from the far more intelligent mind of God.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
26-05-2011, 12:28 PM
I'd prefer to party with Hitchens and Dawkins in hell.

I want to rip off your superstitions and make passionate sense to you
[+] 1 user Likes Norseman's post
26-05-2011, 02:08 PM
(26-05-2011 12:28 PM)Norseman Wrote:  I'd prefer to party with Hitchens and Dawkins in hell.

Me too - I wonder what they're like when they're drunk Big Grin

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin
26-05-2011, 02:09 PM

(26-05-2011 12:28 PM)Norseman Wrote:  I'd prefer to party with Hitchens and Dawkins in hell.

Add Sagan to the party and I'm game too. Cool
Quote this message in a reply
26-05-2011, 02:35 PM
What if life is sort of like it is in the book `American Gods` and everything, every god we made up existed only so long as we believed in them, but so long as we believed in them they had power. So the people who believe in the old testament but don`t follow all of it`s many rules to the tee go to it`s really awful hell. Not for an eternity but until people stopped believing in it. They would be down there suffering, doing the opposite of what they did in life. Hoping people would just put down the damn book lol.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
26-05-2011, 03:32 PM
As I believe an excess to anything is ridiculous, eternity seems awful frightening to me as well! Also, I don't think many humans can actually grasp the idea of something that has no beginning and no end. It is bigger than us and anything earthly. So I guess we must refer to GOD.. Big Grin

Life is short and hard like a body building elf-- Blood Hound Gang