The Aftermath of the Primaries

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-04-2016, 06:38 PM
The Aftermath of the Primaries
On one side we have Hilary/Sanders. A huge number of Sanders supporters are saying that they will NOT vote for Hillary if she wins. I've heard the figure is about 30%. Hilary is likely to win the nomination. On the other side we have Trump. If Trump wins their are a TON of Republicans who will refuse to vote for him. If the Republicans rob him of the nomination in a contested convention a large number of his supporter will vote Trump anyway, or at least refuse to vote for Cruz or a dark horse candidate.

I have no illusions that a 3rd party candidate can win, but what should we expect? A larger number of voters voting for Johnson, Stein, or others? Due to the climate, should can we expect to see a huge voter turnout, or a huge number of people refusing to vote? Both parties have huge issues this election. The Sanders supporters are hating the old guard Democrats, and the Republicans are imploding with much fanfare. Predictions?

This is possibly the biggest three-ring circus of a presidential election in American history.

Maybe were just showing Canada that they can't out-crazy us.

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-04-2016, 08:00 PM
RE: The Aftermath of the Primaries
The whole thing is just a cluster fuck. It has been getting worse over time. I'm in a position that if I had to decide between Hillary and the Donald, I'd vote for Hillary. She'd better pick a good VP to run with her on the ticket, just in case she goes to prison. Dodgy
[+] 3 users Like Fireball's post
22-04-2016, 08:08 PM
If it comes to Hillary or Trump, I'm voting third party. In fact, the only people in either party I'd vote for is Sanders and Kasich. If one of them isn't on the ballot come November, I'm throwing my vote away and voting independent.

The problem is both parties think that if they can get rid of these annoyances, voters will come back and vote for the establishment candidate. Because, that's what we always do. If nothing else, trump and Sanders are proving that people have had enough of the bullshit business as usual. I think a Trump presidency would be a disaster, but I equally think a Clinton presidency will be almost as bad. A Cruz presidency will likely end us.

There are no good options here, but I'm thrilled watching the party establishments wetting themselves. I see few downsides to this anarchy vs the normal crap we always get.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
[+] 3 users Like BnW's post
22-04-2016, 11:20 PM (This post was last modified: 22-04-2016 11:47 PM by Thumpalumpacus.)
I think a contested Republican nomination without Trump grabbing the brass ring will spell a drop in Republican turnout, as Trump supporters take their toys and go home ... or support Trump's potential independent run.

I think a lot of the Bernie supporters saying they will never vote Clinton are talking a good game, but when push comes to shove (especially if the numbers are close, which I don't think they will be) they will turn out not to vote for Clinton but to vote against whichever Republican is nominated. I think that will still result in a lower Democrat turnout, meaning that this election seems to me will turn out to have a small voting roll -- further reinforcing the trend towards apathy and its resulting low turnout.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
23-04-2016, 07:19 AM
(22-04-2016 11:20 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  I think a contested Republican nomination without Trump grabbing the brass ring will spell a drop in Republican turnout, as Trump supporters take their toys and go home ... or support Trump's potential independent run.

I think a lot of the Bernie supporters saying they will never vote Clinton are talking a good game, but when push comes to shove (especially if the numbers are close, which I don't think they will be) they will turn out not to vote for Clinton but to vote against whichever Republican is nominated. I think that will still result in a lower Democrat turnout, meaning that this election seems to me will turn out to have a small voting roll -- further reinforcing the trend towards apathy and its resulting low turnout.

I'm interested to know why you think the Sanders Democrats we vote for Hillary if it is close. You may be right, but of the rabid Sanders supporters I have seen, I believe them. I think most of them will refuse to vote, and some will vote for Jill Stein. I usually vote for a "conservative" candidate (Libertarian), but I could vote for Jill Stein if I thought she could win. There is absolutely 0 chance I will vote for a Republican or Democratic this election unless the Republicans nominate someone completely unexpected and unrealistic in a contested convention, and that's not going to happen.

23-04-2016, 07:53 AM
Though I half joke about Zoltan Istvan and the Transhumanist party (whom I'd be completely willing to put in the whitehouse just for symbolic purposes to promote science over politics), at this point if I were voting, which I'm not since I don't claim residency in Vermont for anything other than gun purchases, I'd probably be going with Souraya Faas.

As for the clowns that actually have a chance, Bernie is the only one I don't hate as a person, and beyond that the commander in chief designation is more relevant to me personally than the president designation. To that end, though I'm under no delusion that he's basically a farce and that his "not a politician" image is bullshit, I'd still rather see Trump in office than Hillary. Basically, I just want whoever is most likely to put me in a position to go Daesh hunting. I've ceased caring about most of the other hot topics.

But again, fuck all these clowns.

'Murican Canadian
24-04-2016, 08:05 AM
(23-04-2016 07:19 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  I'm interested to know why you think the Sanders Democrats we vote for Hillary if it is close.

Here's my take on this:

I think the millennials aren't going to show up and vote for Hillary no matter what, but I think most of them won't show up to vote for Sanders either. Poll after poll shows that they talk a good game and get all "rah rah" for their candidate but on election day they stay the fuck home. So, all those rabid Bernie voters that say they are NEVER voting for Hillary - most of them never vote anyway and don't factor into her calculations at all. And, even the ones who did show up and vote for Sanders in the primary generally don't vote in an election. For the people who support Sanders and generally do vote - those people are going to switch to Hillary. They are going to grouse about it and they are going to stew about it but they are going to look at the idea of Trump or Cruz winning and they are going to hold their nose and vote for her.

On the other side, all these people who Trump brought into the fray who never voted before are all going to stay home after he gets screwed out out of the nomination. And, the Republicans are going to lose the election by the same margins they lost the last 2, if not more.

The real mystery here, to me, is what happens if Trump does get the nomination. I've read different things on this. There is polling that says that not only does he get demolished by Hillary but the turn out to stop him also costs the Republicans the Senate. But, there are also polls that say he is neck and neck with Hillary - and that's another reason all those Bernie supporters are going to vote for her.

I think she's a near mortal lock to win at this point. NY was Bernie's last stand. I hope he stays in and continues to give her fits but I think he's going to get beaten in PA this Tuesday too.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
[+] 1 user Likes BnW's post
24-04-2016, 08:17 AM
It's fucking absurd that we have to pick Donald Trump or Hilary. Hilary is the biggest liar and most despicable "democratic" candidate I've ever seen. The only reason I hope she wins is because she'd probably protect gay rights and women's rights. She's part of the reason our election system is totally rigged and we have an oligarchy basically.

She's not going to do anything to end the drug war. She's just going to "wait until there's more research on marijuana before legalizing it". No you fucking moron, the problem is putting non violent offenders in prison and prisons themselves being payed by how many fucking prisoners they have! There's a quota they have to fill so they get payed by the government, or else their budget gets cut! Legalize and regulate and tax all drugs, take them out of the hands of criminals, make sure people get the clean and not laced with even more harmful crap!

Jesus Christ, I mean, Hilary is terrible, a psychopathic scandalous politician with a lizard face, but Trump! Ugh! He's fucking psycho. Everything he says is idiotic, he's xenophobic, Hilary and Trump, they're going to send us to war! It's horrible. Hilary isn't going to fix the economy either! Wallstreet is funding her election, yet she's not going to break up these banks that are "too big to fail" and prevent another crash. Say hello to massive unemployment and suicide rates and another economic crash.

Meanwhile more than 50% of the country's wealth is in the hands of like 20 people. How is that fair!? Wealth is finite! Yet we have politicians who are in the pockets of these corporations, being payed to run a campaign where they say they're going to fix our problems!? Hell fucking no! It blows my mind that people are still voting Hilary over Bernie Sanders, how many air heads are there in this country? It's frightening!
[+] 3 users Like Mittens Deluxe's post
24-04-2016, 08:32 AM
I also find it hilarious that he Clintons blame millennials for the country's problems.
24-04-2016, 08:35 AM (This post was last modified: 24-04-2016 12:33 PM by yakherder.)
(24-04-2016 08:32 AM)Mittens Deluxe Wrote:  I also find it hilarious that he Clintons blame millennials for the country's problems.

Blaming any specific generation is always a funny stance, considering they were raised and educated by the generation doing the blaming.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 2 users Like yakherder's post