The Aftermath of the Primaries

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-04-2016, 12:01 PM
RE: The Aftermath of the Primaries
(24-04-2016 08:35 AM)yakherder Wrote:  
(24-04-2016 08:32 AM)Mittens Deluxe Wrote:  I also find it hilarious that he Clintons blame millennials for the country's problems.

Blaming any specific generation is always a funny stance, considering they were raised and educated by the generating doing the blaming.

Blaming the people with the least ability to fight back is the American way. We are great at finding scapegoats.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-04-2016, 12:26 PM (This post was last modified: 24-04-2016 12:35 PM by Lord Dark Helmet.)
(24-04-2016 08:05 AM)BnW Wrote:  
(23-04-2016 07:19 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  I'm interested to know why you think the Sanders Democrats we vote for Hillary if it is close.

Here's my take on this:

I think the millennials aren't going to show up and vote for Hillary no matter what, but I think most of them won't show up to vote for Sanders either. Poll after poll shows that they talk a good game and get all "rah rah" for their candidate but on election day they stay the fuck home. So, all those rabid Bernie voters that say they are NEVER voting for Hillary - most of them never vote anyway and don't factor into her calculations at all. And, even the ones who did show up and vote for Sanders in the primary generally don't vote in an election. For the people who support Sanders and generally do vote - those people are going to switch to Hillary. They are going to grouse about it and they are going to stew about it but they are going to look at the idea of Trump or Cruz winning and they are going to hold their nose and vote for her.

On the other side, all these people who Trump brought into the fray who never voted before are all going to stay home after he gets screwed out out of the nomination. And, the Republicans are going to lose the election by the same margins they lost the last 2, if not more.

The real mystery here, to me, is what happens if Trump does get the nomination. I've read different things on this. There is polling that says that not only does he get demolished by Hillary but the turn out to stop him also costs the Republicans the Senate. But, there are also polls that say he is neck and neck with Hillary - and that's another reason all those Bernie supporters are going to vote for her.

I think she's a near mortal lock to win at this point. NY was Bernie's last stand. I hope he stays in and continues to give her fits but I think he's going to get beaten in PA this Tuesday too.

Trump is a wild card for sure. He's brought in tons of new voters and republican primary turnout is higher than ever. Head to head polls this early aren't very accurate. Jimmy Carter lead the polls all the way until September but Reagan ended up winning. Many many things can happen.

The FBI could recommend indictment against hillary (I honestly believe they will), and even if the Justice department refuses to file charges I think that destroys her. It will look like Obama is protecting her. All kinds of details will get leaked to the media. She'll be tainted beyond repair.

"Evil will always triumph over good, because good is dumb." - Lord Dark Helmet
[Image: 25397spaceballs.gif]
24-04-2016, 12:45 PM
An indictment of Clinton changes things for certain. That really throws the whole thing up in the air. I just don't think it will happen. She's Teflon. Nothing sticks to her.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
24-04-2016, 01:35 PM
(24-04-2016 12:45 PM)BnW Wrote:  An indictment of Clinton changes things for certain. That really throws the whole thing up in the air. I just don't think it will happen. She's Teflon. Nothing sticks to her.

God I hope she does get indicted.
24-04-2016, 01:43 PM
(23-04-2016 07:19 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  
(22-04-2016 11:20 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  I think a contested Republican nomination without Trump grabbing the brass ring will spell a drop in Republican turnout, as Trump supporters take their toys and go home ... or support Trump's potential independent run.

I think a lot of the Bernie supporters saying they will never vote Clinton are talking a good game, but when push comes to shove (especially if the numbers are close, which I don't think they will be) they will turn out not to vote for Clinton but to vote against whichever Republican is nominated. I think that will still result in a lower Democrat turnout, meaning that this election seems to me will turn out to have a small voting roll -- further reinforcing the trend towards apathy and its resulting low turnout.

I'm interested to know why you think the Sanders Democrats we vote for Hillary if it is close. You may be right, but of the rabid Sanders supporters I have seen, I believe them. I think most of them will refuse to vote, and some will vote for Jill Stein. I usually vote for a "conservative" candidate (Libertarian), but I could vote for Jill Stein if I thought she could win. There is absolutely 0 chance I will vote for a Republican or Democratic this election unless the Republicans nominate someone completely unexpected and unrealistic in a contested convention, and that's not going to happen.

I think that if Trump/Clinton is too close to call, they won't want to see a repetition of Florida 2000.