The Age of Accountability; losing it and then gaining it back

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-10-2014, 09:37 AM
The Age of Accountability; losing it and then gaining it back
The age of accountability is a term basically made up by Christian theologians to excuse the brutal unjust nature of the Salvation dogma. They argue that a child, before they are able to choose to accept Jesus Christ as their Savior, will be held innocent by god and be allowed in heaven.

They base this belief on 2 Samuel 12:21-23 found here: Where do I find the age of accountability in the Bible ?

They argue that King David was convinced that his child; killed by god himself as judgement, would be taken to heaven by god.

Why would an Old Testament passage apply in the context of the New Testament? I don't know, don't ask questions.

They even say in the article that the mentally handicapped will be held innocent by god.

A question I have would be -what about people with Alzheimer's or dementia? Or any other mentally debilitating disease? Do they get held innocent?

Basically, the only people that get a reprieve are those with diminished mental capacity. It seems thinking too much is the one thing this god hates more than anything and he is willing to torture you in hell forever if you are too aware and don't make the right choice.

Infinite punishment for finite crimes is an inherently immoral and unjust dogma.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like TheInquisition's post
12-10-2014, 06:03 AM
RE: The Age of Accountability; losing it and then gaining it back
It occurred to me that if a Christian believes in the age of accountability being a determining factor for gaining god's grace, then god clearly can grant this grace without invoking the blood of Jesus, as he supposedly did this before Jesus was born in 2 Samuel.

So basically god can do whatever he wants for whatever reason he wants. The ultimate responsibility for punishment is god's alone, he can extend grace to everyone on the planet with or without a choice. Can this really be a belief system of an all powerful being or just another kludge of beliefs made from men? Christians are confronted with the ugly reality of the doctrine of salvation and just make up a contradictory principle to create a convenient exception and hand-wave the nastiness of it away.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 1 user Likes TheInquisition's post
12-10-2014, 06:25 AM
Another good point in the dismantling of a cobbled together tale of fiction.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
12-10-2014, 12:24 PM
(12-10-2014 06:03 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  So basically god can do whatever he wants for whatever reason he wants. The ultimate responsibility for punishment is god's alone, he can extend grace to everyone on the planet with or without a choice.

That's just naturally comes with the quality of omnipotence. Sort of a problem when they try and add omnibenevolence to the mix as well.

[Image: giphy.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Tartarus Sauce's post
14-10-2014, 06:54 AM
(11-10-2014 09:37 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  The age of accountability is a term basically made up by Christian theologians to excuse the brutal unjust nature of the Salvation dogma. They argue that a child, before they are able to choose to accept Jesus Christ as their Savior, will be held innocent by god and be allowed in heaven.

They base this belief on 2 Samuel 12:21-23 found here: Where do I find the age of accountability in the Bible ?

You don't, because it's not in there. What gets weirder is when you run into an apologist who doesn't believe in it and tells you in a very straight-forward manner why this is okay. I almost made a thread about this very thing two weeks ago. I know someone on Facebook who was speaking out against the age of accountability and went on talking about how we are all deserving of hell even as infants (holy shit!) and God can send anyone he wants to heaven or hell. So, he can send babies to heaven if he wants to (and everyone certainly likes to assume he would), but he doesn't have to.

Also, he could send all the adherent to hell... cuz omnipotence. But that's not really discussed, and if I bring it up, I'm "misinterpreting the scriptures". Cuz reasons.

(11-10-2014 09:37 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  They even say in the article that the mentally handicapped will be held innocent by god.

Did you know that retarded people have retarded souls? At least, that's what they're implying... [Image: awesome-lg_zpsa8897ee6.png]

(11-10-2014 09:37 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  Infinite punishment for finite crimes is an inherently immoral and unjust dogma.

Yet, this doesn't stop them from going on about how "just" this all is. It's one of the reasons I don't really discuss the "morality of God" with believers anymore. It's just an exercise to hear how much they'll excuse and accept to maintain their views. It just gets depressing and creepy.

(12-10-2014 06:03 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  It occurred to me that if a Christian believes in the age of accountability being a determining factor for gaining god's grace, then god clearly can grant this grace without invoking the blood of Jesus, as he supposedly did this before Jesus was born in 2 Samuel.

So basically god can do whatever he wants for whatever reason he wants.

Yeah, you get this a lot with apologetics. They'll go on about how Christ's "sacrifice" was necessary, and I'll point out how that looks like a limitation to God's omnipotence. This then gets re-branded as "his nature", whatever that means. No news so far on how God gets his nature.
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post