The Amazing Atheist...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-07-2013, 08:12 PM
RE: The Amazing Atheist...
(27-07-2013 04:00 PM)elegant_atheist Wrote:  
(27-07-2013 01:16 PM)Red Tornado Wrote:  I respectfully disagree, aggressive tactics are not very useful for effective speaking. I feel that Hitchens was great at what he did, and he surely smacked around a 'few pussies'.
There is a huge difference between being blunt [Hitchens] and being unnecessarily crude [TAA]. The point in speaking is to educate or convince people of your stance on a subject, TAA's tactics are more so funny (I guess, I don't find it funny but some people do) but they're not effective in any way. But this could just be my opinion, but TAA is a dark spot in the Atheists on youtube, I feel he gets much more attention than he's earned.

My view is that there is no respect to be found in religion and there is no reason to try and converse with those right-wing Christians because they are bat shit crazy. AA isn't trying to go out and convince creationists to change their world view in a peaceful way he just wants to show how stupid they are. Adults that still want to choose religion over science when they are presented the evidence is not to be trusted or respected. Someone out there has to say how idiotic religion is because people like Hitchens and him are the only way atheism is going to gain any traction. Great example, "This is nonsense. It can’t be believed by a thinking person."

We are taught to "respect" religious belief no matter how ridiculous it is and these men are standing up and saying no, we don't have to sit here and put up with this bullshit. I have watched many debates featuring Hitchens and it is obvious he wasn't there to talk nicely with his opponent and "respect" his views. The famous rants and raves these men orate show that they are there to crush and pulverize the religious argument in every sense of the word. They don't care about feelings or respect they are there to show the audience how stupid the opposition is and I really admire that. The time has come to topple the institution of religious power and it is people like AA, Grayling, Dawkins, Dennett, and Hitchen's works that are doing the job, not a "respectful" argument that tries not to hurt feelings.

It all comes down to if you can get your precious little feelings hurt without running into a hole and crying. People that can't handle that are not worth debating or conversing with because no one will get anywhere with the "respect" walls up. To me, everything other than physical threats or harming is fair game at all times. Though you may think they are too "hostile and abrasive," I think you are missing the point of the entire religion debate and since I expect you are a mature and responsible person, I would think you would be able to get over the aggressive nature of their talks, especially AA's.

I'm a little tired since I just got off work so I'm not one for debate atm but here's my bit -
You don't have to respect religion, I don't respect Christianity - but you need to respect your fellow humans. If you don't like a band, I'm not going to get all pissy about it. I sorta hope the same for debates. And when TAA [The Amazing Atheist] projects himself as a atheist in such a manner he does, meaning he's a speaker, he's one of the highlights of the community, I cringe every time someone uses him as an example of a known atheist - because he's not polite, I do not believe he is that good at debating like Logica said, he paints a nasty picture on all of us. People think we're assholes enough, we really don't need TAA to paint more of it. But it's just my opinion, I prefer being respectful and having softer-educational debates. I don't like to be crude just to make people angry.

Bury me with my guns on, so when I reach the other side - I can show him what it feels like to die.
Bury me with my guns on, so when I'm cast out of the sky, I can shoot the devil right between the eyes.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-07-2013, 08:14 PM
(27-07-2013 08:11 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(27-07-2013 08:09 PM)elegant_atheist Wrote:  No one knows the reasons why his audience watches him other than they want to so I'd say he is pretty damn interesting guy to watch. If you call 440,000 odd subscribers ineffective idk what you would consider effective. Whoever said his objective was to debate anyway. He has said that he is an entertainer, something I think he absolutely excels at.

No, I'd agree. He's mostly entertaining most of the time.

What Logica said was that he's not likely to convince anyone of anything. That's a question independent of whether or not he's entertaining. That people watch him proves he's entertaining. As to the other?

He overwhelmingly convinced me to drop religion a few years ago, and I have loved him ever since.

[Image: g-HitchensThinkSelf.gif]
27-07-2013, 08:18 PM
The Youtube group that convinced me was that austin atheist TV show, with Matt Dilihauntey (SP?). Not a youtube group persay but they were close by my home so I watched it.

Bury me with my guns on, so when I reach the other side - I can show him what it feels like to die.
Bury me with my guns on, so when I'm cast out of the sky, I can shoot the devil right between the eyes.
27-07-2013, 08:25 PM
(27-07-2013 08:12 PM)Red Tornado Wrote:  I'm a little tired since I just got off work so I'm not one for debate atm but here's my bit -
You don't have to respect religion, I don't respect Christianity - but you need to respect your fellow humans. If you don't like a band, I'm not going to get all pissy about it. I sorta hope the same for debates. And when TAA [The Amazing Atheist] projects himself as a atheist in such a manner he does, meaning he's a speaker, he's one of the highlights of the community, I cringe every time someone uses him as an example of a known atheist - because he's not polite, I do not believe he is that good at debating like Logica said, he paints a nasty picture on all of us. People think we're assholes enough, we really don't need TAA to paint more of it. But it's just my opinion, I prefer being respectful and having softer-educational debates. I don't like to be crude just to make people angry.

I totally understand where you are coming from. I too think that there is a time and place for everything and AA happens to fill the gap of a blunt, aggressive entertainer that I love. I totally understand too that some, maybe most, don't feel the need for this role and maybe even oppose it.
I get your point about the perception religious folk receive when they watch him, but come on don't you think some stuff really needs to be said, no matter how offensive or abrasive? I don't happen to hold the stance that you should love your enemies and neither does AA, we just happen to agree on many issues and it's totally fine if you don't agree.
Debates too are a time where maybe it is better to be calm and collected, but I don't like when people try and tell others how to conduct themselves when speaking. My problem lies in the people that try and force their opinions on me, as I'm sure you understand.
Although, AA has been on cnn and has debated many times, in which he is very calm and collected, maybe even more than Hitchens was...... but that's another story all together. Smile

27-07-2013, 08:27 PM
(27-07-2013 08:14 PM)elegant_atheist Wrote:  He overwhelmingly convinced me to drop religion a few years ago, and I have loved him ever since.

Okay; anecdata, but sure. Def disproves the claim 'he never convinced anyone of anything'.

... this is my signature!
27-07-2013, 08:27 PM
(27-07-2013 08:18 PM)Red Tornado Wrote:  The Youtube group that convinced me was that austin atheist TV show, with Matt Dilihauntey (SP?). Not a youtube group persay but they were close by my home so I watched it.

I love that one too. Very influential when I was younger. I would totally agree with the caller, whether it be an evolution denier or a crazy Bible reciter, and then be totally convinced by Matt and his team. I love what they do down there, although it pains me to watch nowadays.

27-07-2013, 08:30 PM
(27-07-2013 08:27 PM)cjlr Wrote:  Okay; anecdata, but sure. Def disproves the claim 'he never convinced anyone of anything'.

In the end it all comes down to your personality. When I first watched him I couldn't stand the blasphemy, but as I listened it all began to make sense and the idiotic things religion is responsible for were shown to me through his notorious aggressive, abrasive nature and I began to love him as I learned more about him.

27-07-2013, 08:31 PM
(27-07-2013 08:27 PM)cjlr Wrote:  Okay; anecdata, but sure. Def disproves the claim 'he never convinced anyone of anything'.

I would hope so. Smile Especially proves how the claim that he is "incapable" of persuasion is totally wrong. (although some others may think their opinion in infallible Wink)

[+] 1 user Likes elegant_atheist's post
28-07-2013, 01:38 AM (This post was last modified: 28-07-2013 01:45 AM by Logica Humano.)
(27-07-2013 07:29 PM)elegant_atheist Wrote:  
(27-07-2013 07:08 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  What I am saying is not opinion. Again, the purpose of a debate is to convince your opponent. You cannot do this by being abrasive. TJ is not an effective speaker. Whether or not you like the way he presents his arguments is entirely irrelevant. His abrasive demeanor wouldn't convince anyone who wasn't already an atheist or a left-leaning libertarian.

Great! I have told you why he is not an effective one.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! You are actually telling me that I have to adopt your opinion because YOU think that you have convinced ME good enough. "What I am saying is not opinion," are you crazy? of course it is. You're spouting opinion after opinion! Now you are acting like a little kid trying to bully his younger brother, well guess what? Its not going to work on me. You are immature and cannot be taken seriously, it's really rather unfortunate.

I'm getting tired of your mindless posts about how your opinion (which you claim isn't even opinion LOL) is better then mine. It's not and never will be. You are actually sounding like a right wing fundamentalist right now and it's pretty funny.

Here's a stat for you Mr. Pretentious, AA has 442,413 subscribers. How do you explain that? Are we all just brainwashed by his abrasiveness?

As I have repeated, time and time again, what I am saying is not an opinion. Can you tell me why there isn't a drastic influx of ex-religious individuals thanking him for his logical and compelling arguments? There are on DarkMatter2525's channel. On the Thinking Atheist channel. Even on Thunderf00t's channel. Why is it that the overwhelming majority of TAA's subscribers were already like-minded individuals? He is not an effective speaker because he cannot convince the masses, and the ones that do follow him are generally already like-minded. I suggest you read books like this and this before you continue with your condescending attitude.

Exactly how much intellectual literature have you read about the subject of Theism and Atheism, EA? Do you fully understand why people believe in religion?

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
28-07-2013, 02:16 AM
(28-07-2013 01:38 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  
(27-07-2013 07:29 PM)elegant_atheist Wrote:  HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! You are actually telling me that I have to adopt your opinion because YOU think that you have convinced ME good enough. "What I am saying is not opinion," are you crazy? of course it is. You're spouting opinion after opinion! Now you are acting like a little kid trying to bully his younger brother, well guess what? Its not going to work on me. You are immature and cannot be taken seriously, it's really rather unfortunate.

I'm getting tired of your mindless posts about how your opinion (which you claim isn't even opinion LOL) is better then mine. It's not and never will be. You are actually sounding like a right wing fundamentalist right now and it's pretty funny.

Here's a stat for you Mr. Pretentious, AA has 442,413 subscribers. How do you explain that? Are we all just brainwashed by his abrasiveness?

As I have repeated, time and time again, what I am saying is not an opinion. Can you tell me why there isn't a drastic influx of ex-religious individuals thanking him for his logical and compelling arguments? There are on DarkMatter2525's channel. On the Thinking Atheist channel. Even on Thunderf00t's channel. Why is it that the overwhelming majority of TAA's subscribers were already like-minded individuals? He is not an effective speaker because he cannot convince the masses, and the ones that do follow him are generally already like-minded. I suggest you read books like this and this before you continue with your condescending attitude.

Exactly how much intellectual literature have you read about the subject of Theism and Atheism, EA? Do you fully understand why people believe in religion?

WTF? Are you still wanting to claim your crap is not an opinion? What a fucking joke. Then you have the nerve to tell me that I have a condescending attitude? Who are you to dictate what AA's channel purpose is? He has said many times that he is an entertainer, not a debater. He doesn't give a fuck about converting right wingers or creationists to the atheist camp, he is in the business of massacring their stupid arguments to entertain his audience. Why can't you get that through your thick head buddy?

Now you want to question my intellectual ability on the subject of Theism and Atheism do ya? I know exactly why people believe in religion, go check out my other posts you pretentious wanker. If you want to show me I don't know anything about atheism ask me questions regarding the subject matter don't just question how much I have read. Go check out my I Believe post. That's why people believe in gods and goddesses mate.