The Amazing Atheist...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-07-2013, 03:05 PM
RE: The Amazing Atheist...
(28-07-2013 03:01 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(28-07-2013 11:34 AM)elegant_atheist Wrote:  Don't you remember Hichens telling people they were idiots and versions of "fuckwad" in interviews and question times after debates? good times

Well I don't Tongue 'Cos oddly enough my internet connection used to suck so badly that I never got around to watching videos *at all* on the net. Text based communication baby... Now it only sucks moderately most of the time and really badly at odd moments, enough that movies are still annoying... so ya... no Tongue One of few here who has never watched the Hitch... *or* read any of his works. But I like quite a lot of his quotes... and I duly bow my head in prayer at the mention of his name... And I know what his face looks like. And I think I'd quite like to buy a commemorative mug... Tongue If it wasn't too expensive...

Wow my life would be so different if I didn't rape all the Hitchen videos on the YouTubez. Most awesome guy I have ever seen thus far, no one comes close.

[Image: g-HitchensThinkSelf.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-07-2013, 06:42 AM
...... Hitchens is overrated.

Bring it.

I kid, I kid, he was a good writer, his speeches were decent and his manner was erudite

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
29-07-2013, 06:51 AM
(29-07-2013 06:42 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  ...... Hitchens is overrated.

Bring it.

I kid, I kid, he was a good writer, his speeches were decent and his manner was erudite

Hitchens is incomprehensibly better than TheAmazingAtheist. Drinking Beverage

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
29-07-2013, 07:07 AM (This post was last modified: 29-07-2013 07:16 AM by Free Thought.)
(29-07-2013 06:51 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  
(29-07-2013 06:42 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  ...... Hitchens is overrated.

Bring it.

Hitchens is incomprehensibly better than TheAmazingAtheist. Drinking Beverage

That, we can both agree on. Drinking Beverage

I mean, I enjoyed some of TAA's videos, on some things, I even agreed with him, hell, one of my favourite quotes comes from him: "Throwing logic at a troll is like throwing baloney at a tank...".
But overall, I find him too abrasive too be very effective, that and his constant shilling of merchandise... Every so often I can tolerate, guy's gotta live, right? But c'mon...

I think I can see why he is popular though; He is pretty much a Shock Jock and his humour and method of debate (namely beating down the opponent loudly and energetically, with a couple facts strewn in if one is particularly skilful at the art) seem ideal for younger audiences and those with highly energetic tendencies.

Ultimately it is simply a matter of taste.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
29-07-2013, 07:38 AM
(29-07-2013 07:07 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  Ultimately it is simply a matter of taste.

However, his widespread ineffectiveness is not opinion. TAA lacks the tactful understanding of his opponents and, to make matters worse, completely disregards the science behind religious belief. TAA and his loyal followers seem to relish in the idea of insulting the religious, and whatever other movement they might arbitrarily despise, as opposed to actually creating meaningful arguments. He lacks the reasonable substance that any major proponent of atheism has. Overall, his abrasive nature is precisely what makes him ineffective at debating. He lives up to the stereotype of the modern atheist. A rude, truly angry fucknut.

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
[+] 2 users Like Logica Humano's post
29-07-2013, 08:41 AM
If you can't have respect for your opponent then you can't be expected to have respect for what you're debating for.

Bury me with my guns on, so when I reach the other side - I can show him what it feels like to die.
Bury me with my guns on, so when I'm cast out of the sky, I can shoot the devil right between the eyes.
[+] 1 user Likes Question's post
29-07-2013, 09:08 AM
My two cents (without having read most of this)

Hitchens is a better writer, entertainer, and debater than most other non-believer/atheist debaters. He can be abrasive, but typically towards ideas and not people (although his book on Mother Theresa certainly did not leave her unscathed). I thoroughly enjoy Hitchens because he doesn't pull punches, has a sharp and quick wit, and will trounce anyone if they dare say something downright insulting, rude, or immoral.

The Amazing Atheist is (in all fairness) not that bad of a speaker and in at least one clip I saw of him where he was interviewed by Fox News, not a bad debater. But his videos are abrasive, loud, and although I agree with his points most of the time, difficult to watch because of his mannerisms.

But TAA is first and foremost an entertainer on youtube. Not a debater and not a writer. To expect debates or debate strategies out of him and his videos is to miss his point.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
[+] 2 users Like TheBeardedDude's post