Poll: What is the American Experiment
states' rights
melting pot theory
self governance
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
The American Experiment

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-06-2016, 10:14 AM
RE: The American Experiment
(17-06-2016 01:22 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  
(16-06-2016 12:45 PM)TrainWreck Wrote:  What is the American Experiment of our legendary history? Is it the "melting pot," thing, or the states' rights concept?

Can someone translate please.

I think I understand what he's asking: Assuming for the sake of argument that American culture and democracy is an innovation of some sort, what is the unique element that hasn't already been done elsewhere? He then provides two possibilities: the "melting pot" concept and the "states rights" concept.

Personally, I'm not sure that either of these is unique to America. Just about every country is a melting pot to some degree (for example, England = Celts/Scots/Picts + various invading tribes -- Angles, Saxons, Jutes, Normans, etc. -- plus several waves of immigration in modern times), and many countries are divided into states or provinces. I don't know if other countries emphasize states' rights to the degree that America does, but it's hard for me to believe that the concept only exists here.

So I'm not sure that there even is any such thing as an "American Experiment". I'm tempted to make the only slightly tongue-in-cheek suggestion that the American Experiment is an over-the-top obsession with guns, but I don't want to turn this into another gun thread. Tongue
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post
19-06-2016, 04:52 AM
I always felt that the American Experiment was more of a Buzz Word for the attempt to found a society that's principles purpose is to achieve a state where it's participants "have an equal opportunity to achieve success and prosperity through hard work, determination, and initiative." In other words, the American Dream.
It was an and still is an attempt to reach the above definition. At this point in time? The experiment has failed. However, there's been times where it's also succeeded.

I'd say that, if my observation is correct and THAT, the American Dream; is the American Experiment? Then we've got enough data to say what societies work and what societies don't. The unfortunate part is, the reason why the current phase is failing is because those conservative in view tend to be ignorant of what worked in the past - mainly because the few in control would rather you not know what worked in the past.

The American Dream challenged the class systems. Now, the class system challenges the American Dream and the Experiment is showing poor results.
My two cents, anyway. I'll take those two cents back though... need it for gas...
19-06-2016, 04:50 PM
(16-06-2016 12:45 PM)TrainWreck Wrote:  What is the American Experiment of our legendary history? Is it the "melting pot," thing, or the states' rights concept?

The is The world wide web, dude. I am not American.

Also three questions in the poll? I don't think it's a very good poll. This is a better pole.

[Image: light_pole_by_little_raven_girl.jpg]

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
19-06-2016, 06:24 PM
That's brilliant
WeepingFacepalmNo

Humanism - ontological doctrine that posits that humans define reality
Theism - ontological doctrine that posits a supernatural entity creates and defines reality
Atheism - political doctrine opposed to theist doctrine in public policy
I am right, and you are wrong - I hope you die peacefullyCool
19-06-2016, 06:46 PM
(16-06-2016 02:00 PM)TrainWreck Wrote:  
(16-06-2016 01:28 PM)DLJ Wrote:  In other words, are there not multiple experiments?

Consider

That would be in line with the theory of states' rights. Facepalm

The answer to the stupid poll, is "none of the above".
Most of what now comprises the US were not states when the country was founded.
There goes that bullshit. The colonies were in a confederation before the Constitution was written. The "American experiment" has more to do with the values stated in the Declaration of Independence and the Bill of Rights. No state can trample on those.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
19-06-2016, 06:47 PM
Oh lovely, the sentient pile of garbage is back.

When valour preys on reason, it eats the sword it fights with.