The Anti-Poe's Law

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-03-2015, 12:32 PM (This post was last modified: 29-03-2015 12:39 PM by Reltzik.)
The Anti-Poe's Law
Okay, we all know I don't believe this garbage, but I'm putting on my Hyopthetical Hat for a moment. Suppose, hypothetically, that conventional Christianity were mostly true, or even entirely true. (For the sake of hypothetical I am ignoring any contradictions that make that impossible. Don't look at me like that, it's a well-established practice.) Suppose that there was a divine being with a divine plan and a message that everyone needed to here that was contained in the Bible, and that this loving, omniscient, omnipotent being was leaving us to work this out through our own agency of free will rather than sending us a whole bunch of clear signs that we could then freely interpret...

... dammit, my Sarcasm Hat looks too much like my Hypothetical Hat. Okay, got my Hypothetical Hat on for real this time. Lecture_preist

Okay, suppose that all of that is true, and further suppose that there is a diabolical villain intent on fucking up faith for everyone. Doubts and trickery and manipulation and so on. And finally, let us suppose that there are a bunch of believers who, despite their tremendous faith... aren't all that bright when it comes to putting two and two together. How might Satan leverage this fact to undermine key articles of faith?

One example: the power of prophesy is significant both throughout the Bible. Question: how could Satan undermine belief in the power of prophesy and the truth of the Bible? Answer: find a stupid Christian to do it.

[Image: CampingBillboard7.jpg]

Note that this Christian does not need to doubt the Bible, or be actively evil, or deliberately working for Satan. There's a passage or two about no one knowing the exact hour that need forgetting, but Christians are pretty good at forgetting inconvenient passages all on their own. No, here's all Satan would have to do. Subtly plant the idea in Camping's head that there is some code in the Bible foretelling the date of the Rapture, and let Camping's sincere belief, fervor, and inability to think rationally do the rest.

Moving on...

At the core of Christ's message are the ideas of loving everyone, and of refraining from judgement out of humility and awareness of one's own faults. (There are other messages as well, but those two are clearly there.) Suppose Satan wanted to get people to forget this message and violate its teaching. How best to go about it? ... that's right, get stupid Christians to do it.

[Image: o-PAT-ROBERTSON-TRANSGENDER-facebook.jpg]

[Image: Falwell-2006.01.08-b.jpg]

[Image: Ihop2.png]

(These are, respectively, Pat Robertson, Jerry Falwell, and a gathering at the International House of Prayer. The Christian IHOP, if you are not aware of it, was one of the evangelical forces behind the Uganda's persecution of gays.)

Again, these need not be active, intentional agents of Satan... just earnest, sincere believers that have been tricked. And Satan wins either way. If people buy into these hateful, judgmental preachings, Satan pulls them away from Christ's message. If they say, wait a minute, that's not right, then Satan casts doubt on the source of these hateful preachings... the Bible. And if half the Christians go one way and the other half go the other, then Satan divides the church.

How else could Satan leverage this strategy? Let's see, there's false witness and hypocrisy...

[Image: Picture+2.png]

(That's Bill Buckingham, stupid and almost-certainly perjuring Christian at the heart of the Dover trial fiasco.)

... murder ...

[Image: roeder01.jpg]

(That's Scott Roeder, who murdered George Tiller IN A CHURCH.)

... letting Satanists distribute religious materials in schools...

[Image: school%20board%20map.jpg]

(That's the Orange County School Board, whose recent decision to allow Christian materials to be distributed in schools opened the doorway for Satanist materials. I don't know if it was a unanimous vote, but at least a majority must have been too ignorant of court law and too dumb all-around to understand the consequences of their actions.)

... and countless other subjects besides.

In all of these cases, the bad actions of stupid Christians have caused many to question or even abandon their faith. Leave aside all that true Christian or false Christian nonsense... this is about how Christianity is PERCEIVED, and how that perception effects whether people believe and are saved or doubt and are damned. All it takes for Satan to score a victory is to trick some stupid Christian, one not prone to questioning his or her faith, into doing something stupid and contemptible based largely on religious tennets, mixed with a dose of hubris and idiocy.

... or for that matter, recruiting them to deliberately, actively, and purposefully discredit Christianity. Or just sitting back and doing nothing, and letting those stupid Christians pull it off all on their own. From the outside, the three (four, if you count the scenario in which there is no Satan as distinct from the scenario in which Satan does nothing) can be pretty much indistinguishable from the outside.

I'm going to call this The Anti-Poe's Law. Poe's Law says that there is no way of distinguishing someone satirizing fanatical religion from the fanatically religious. The Anti-Poe's Law reads as thus: "There exists no means of distinguishing the actions of a person deliberately engaged in serving the Anti-Christ from the actions of a stupid, hubristic, but genuinely believing Christian." And an immediate corollary: "Even the stupid, hubristic, genuinely believing Christian has no means of realizing that he or she is hubristic and stupid."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 7 users Like Reltzik's post
29-03-2015, 12:42 PM
RE: The Anti-Poe's Law
I kinda like this.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

29-03-2015, 12:43 PM
(29-03-2015 12:32 PM)Reltzik Wrote:  The Anti-Poe's Law reads as thus: "There exists no means of distinguishing the actions of a person deliberately engaged in serving the Anti-Christ from the actions of a stupid, hubristic, but genuinely believing Christian."

There's a certain twinkle in their eye and something in their step.

(29-03-2015 12:32 PM)Reltzik Wrote:  And an immediate corollary: "Even the stupid, hubristic, genuinely believing Christian has no means of realizing that he or she is hubristic and stupid."

They have the means. They obstinately refuse to use them.

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
29-03-2015, 12:49 PM
That's the best! Thanks!
29-03-2015, 02:48 PM
This is very plausible, I'll even provide more evidence:

[Image: philrobertson__131223014428.jpg]

Well played Satan, well played.......

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 3 users Like TheInquisition's post