The Apocalypse

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-12-2010, 10:12 PM
The Apocalypse
Hey, erbody.

So we've got some doozies on our hands like climate change, peak oil and the Holocene extinction.

A lot of people believe we are in serious trouble. Some people think we've already passed a point of no return. Some people think we're a-ok.

I have a friend who is an Evangelical Baptist. It's not that he doesn't buy any of this stuff, he just doesn't see it as a problem. The Rapture is coming so who cares if the Earth dies.

I know some neo-conservatives that think we should move full steam ahead with globalisation and the privatisation not just of the commons, but of every natural resource on earth and who believe that climate change, and Al Gore, are Chicken Littles.

I know other people that believe that technology and innovation will figure something out and save us.

I know anarcho-primitivists who believe the collapse of the global oil infrastructure (which I once heard was worth about 45 trillion) will usher in a new stone age as most of our technology and farming and transportation and war machinery and pretty much everything is reliant on oil.

I myself... You know, a year or two ago, my position would have been crystal clear... That being said, I think I have to place myself in the "there is a massive collapse/population crash on the horizon" camp and we will not avoid it unless we can defeat the memetic Nash Equilibrium that we are currently in the grips of.

I'm curious what people around here think of this stuff and why?

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-12-2010, 11:10 PM
RE: The Apocalypse
The human race is messing with the eco-systems that support us. The more damage we do the more negatively we, (and more importantly our children and grandchildren etc), will be affected in the future. The balance point may or may not have been crossed yet, but once crossed there is no way to stop what we started. My brother-in-law was a fisheries officer in Canada. His stories about the damage to the environment and eco-systems that he has observed are scary. There is a lot more damage going on than most people think there is. The price will be paid by future generations who will live the legacy that we leave them.

As for your Evangelical Baptist friend, he should learn that the rapture was a story created in the 19th century by a European priest who-cherry picked a bunch of passages to make it up.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
21-12-2010, 11:35 PM
I'm not a believer in Global warming ever since I sat down and had a real look at the data.

I found out two very key things:

1. Warming and cooling periods have gone on for billions of years and are a natural cycle of the planet.

2. We are currently in a cooling stage NOT a warming stage. However we are moving towards a warming stage at a slightly faster rate then normal.

This leads me to the conclusion that while man is having some effect on the global temperature it's hardly enough to damn us. I think the far more pressing issue is ending the oil monopoly with an alternate energy source so man can move forward out of the age of big corporations controlling the small guy.

While I think peak oil is a possibility I think that when the crap hits the fan there are already a number of great alternatives that do work in place. Everyone has likely seen a few cars run on something other then oil and even basic electric cars will run on hydro, wind or solar power if need be.

People will always find something crazy to be afraid of. In a strange way it's a good thing as it's constantly keeping us on our toes trying to see if any of these fears are valid. Smile
22-12-2010, 03:31 AM
I recommend potholer54s series on global warming. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52KLGqDSA...re=related
We are currently on a cooling stage?

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.
22-12-2010, 07:23 AM
I think that we are going down a bad road, sure, but I don't necessarily think it's too late. I think the major flaw is getting it out socially. Drive electric cars,be careful where what you buy comes from, recycle, ect. People are starting to do it, and hopefully that Green Mentality will carry over to politics. But we are not there yet, I know, but I am hopefully. We are at least moving in the right direction, even if just with baby steps.

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
22-12-2010, 10:52 AM
like George Carlin said:

"The planet has been through a lot worse than us. Been through all kinds of things worse than us. Been through earthquakes, volcanoes, plate tectonics, continental drift, solar flares, sun spots, magnetic storms, the magnetic reversal of the poles…hundreds of thousands of years of bombardment by comets and asteroids and meteors, worlwide floods, tidal waves, worldwide fires, erosion, cosmic rays, recurring ice ages…And we think some plastic bags, and some aluminum cans are going to make a difference? The planet…the planet…the planet isn’t going anywhere. WE ARE!"

I want to rip off your superstitions and make passionate sense to you
22-12-2010, 11:59 AM
I think the impact we make on the planet is significant, but it's significance is mainly the impact it has on us. Of course we impact other living things as well, but really, we need to start considering the things we do because if we don't, we will bring about our own extinction. When people talk about sustainable living, it is sustaining humans that they are talking about. Humans have become a parasite, and if we don't develop a symbiotic relationshup with earth, it will simply change just enough for us to no longer survive. This symbiotic relationship, in my opinion, is inevitable. We will eventually evolve to be able to live in the conditions we create here, but if it's not done intentionally, and immediately, that evolution will come at great cost to us.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
22-12-2010, 04:43 PM
I do not see fun times ahead.
Lack of concern on one side and eco-extremists on the other seem to keep viable solutions from being implemented.
Just look at the environmental impact of DDT and how long it took to ban.Concerns were raised when it was first introduced in the 1940's and only around 2004 was a global legislation adopted to ban its use.Even then 4-5000 tones are used annually.

Life on this planet has one rule : "adapt or die".If we don't do some adapting soon ...
22-12-2010, 06:32 PM
The fossil record shows that something like 99% of all life that has ever existed on Earth has gone extinct. The geological record shows that all of these extinctions have coincided with changes in the Earth's climate.

Extinctions do not happen over night but they do happen in what is usually a relatively short period of time, from a geological perspective. A few hundred years, maybe. The problem is that no one making government policies has a life span where this is going to personally impact them. So, they don't care. We are a very short sighted species.

My take is this: the overwhelming scientific consensus is that we are impacting the planet and raising the temperature. The exact impacts of this are not known and the models tend to vary. However, given that every extinction in history has coincided with climate changes, why are we spending time debating this? Shouldn't we be erring on the side of not putting the entire species and life as we know it at risk? I certainly think so.

I'll be 42 in less then a month and the odds of me living to see this become a real problem are well in my favor. But, what about my children? And their children? I'd like to leave them something more than a poisoned planet that is going to kill them off.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
22-12-2010, 06:48 PM
it will be a natural turn of events if the human species doesn't survive forever. 99% of all species that have ever existed are now extinct. No big deal...we have come...and we will go. The earth does not care.