The Apocalypse

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-12-2010, 06:52 PM
RE: The Apocalypse
There is a difference between the natural order of things and contributing to your own extinction. We all will eventually die but that inevitability does not mean we should all shoot ourselves in the head in our 30s because we can't ultimately avoid death.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-12-2010, 07:08 PM

I'd just like to point out that natural cycles of heating and cooling are much much slower than what we are experiencing today.

In the grand scheme of things, we may be in a cooling period, if we only analyze natural trends. I think the fact that despite this, human industrialization has caused the planet to warm is a testament to the tangible effect we have had.
Quote this message in a reply
22-12-2010, 07:32 PM
(22-12-2010 06:48 PM)catdance62 Wrote:  it will be a natural turn of events if the human species doesn't survive forever. 99% of all species that have ever existed are now extinct. No big deal...we have come...and we will go. The earth does not care.

Not exactly comfortable with that.It may be natural but I'll be damned if I let it happen on my watch.
Funny how many call the Earth our Mother.
Earth Subconscious : "I got rid of 99% of those pesky bastards on my crust and now the 1% left are giving me a fever "
22-12-2010, 08:29 PM

Humans will eventually evolve into another species if we don't go extinct first. Probability says we'll likely go extinct.

I think it's important to be responsible. I'm definitely more "earth conscious" than I was as a Christian. This is the only life I or my children will ever have, and I don't wish to impose suffering on my descendents. (I'm hoping that after everything crashes and we go back to Stone Age: Part Deux they'll make me their goddess.)
22-12-2010, 08:39 PM
what scares me more then any global warming or meteorite hitting the earth or Mayan calendar is the idea of religious radicals getting their hands of something that could end the world like a nuke.

These people actually wish for the end times. We truly may end up blowing ourselves up in our quest for a god before anything else. Bin Laden considers it a duty of muslims to obtain a nuclear weapon.
22-12-2010, 10:38 PM
Well, we now have proof the end times are upon us, Pat Robertson came out on the 700 club tonight and said he thought marijuana laws should be done away with......whoud a thunk it ?
23-12-2010, 02:58 PM
Just a couple of morsels for the record for this incredibly stimulating conversation (please keep it coming).

1 - We are in the midst of the Holocene extinction. It's occuring as we speak.

2 - There is always a background extinction rate. It's just a fact of life. But the current extinction rate is estimated (by the likes of David Suzuki) to be about 1 500 times the regular background rate.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
23-12-2010, 07:11 PM

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/Earth2100/

Watch it if you want to get an idea of what we are up against. We are fucked, unless our politicians can muster some courage and get something done, not only in this country, but globally. In other words, we are fucked.
23-12-2010, 09:00 PM
The next generations are the ones that are truly fucked, and they are innocent.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
24-12-2010, 08:03 AM

(23-12-2010 09:00 PM)No J. Wrote:  The next generations are the ones that are truly fucked, and they are innocent.

I don't know how old you are, but this will probably ruin the latter parts of my life.