The Apocrypha

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
31-12-2010, 05:54 PM
The Apocrypha
What are the stories that the Christians really don't want you to see? Well find out http://www.sacred-texts.com/chr/apo/index.htm <---here. Free online texts, by the chapter! I personally have not begun on the apocrypha (still doing my whole bible review, of which I am about half way through 2 Samuel, so I am still a ways away).
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-12-2010, 09:13 PM

RE: The Apocrypha
I'm not sure your "books Christians don't want you to see" is an accurate description of how Christians (at least the Christians I know) view the extra-biblical books. Most Christians in our day and age simply don't know they exist.

In the early years of Christianity there was most certainly censorship because the extra-canonical works didn't fit with the majority opinion at the time the other books were canonized, ie. the gnostic gospels, etc. (Bear in mind that 99% of the populace couldn't read anyway.) The books chosen for canonization were primarily seen as written by "eye-witnesses" to the events of Christ. It seems that the early fathers did believe that the gospels were written by Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John even though we know almost certainly today that this wasn't the case.

The Apocrypha is an unremarkable read, in my opinion. I find the anti-Nicene fathers much more interesting.
Quote this message in a reply
01-01-2011, 02:58 AM
I'm more curios what the Vatican has hidden away in its archives. Tongue
01-01-2011, 03:11 AM
@Athnostic, I was trying to make it sound like an advertising, you can't sound unconfident in an ad xP

@gaglamesh Touch a few young boys and they'll let you in Wink
05-01-2011, 02:35 AM
(01-01-2011 03:11 AM)TheKetola Wrote:  @gaglamesh Touch a few young boys and they'll let you in Wink

You can be just as dark as I can Big Grin

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.