The Appendix

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-08-2015, 02:53 AM
RE: The Appendix
What about the tail bone? Ear muscles? The Wisdom Teeth? That second eye lid we have?

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-08-2015, 05:21 AM
(22-08-2015 02:40 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(18-08-2015 08:57 AM)Octapulse Wrote:  And what's with nipples on men? Does this serve any other purpose than being a slightly erogenous zone? Here, lets implement a design that represents functionality but not actually commit to the full package of being able to produce milk. Nice work! Did Adam have nipples?

Manboobs without nipples would have no point.

But back to the appendix. It turns out that it does have an important function. It is kind of a shelter for your gut flora. You see in you digestive system there are 100 trillion bacteria cells(about 10 times more than your human cells in your entire body). Without that bacteria, you die at best and at worst.....you have a really shitty existence.

If you get sick and get massive diarrhea, it is possible that all those good bacteria cells get flushed out. However the appendix offers a safe haven for those bacteria to come back an repopulate your gut.

If you lose all your gut flora, you have to eat someone elses poop to get it back. Bucky does that anyways cause he is a shit eater(ah...come on now....good old fashion ribbing....remember?).

Wow, that sounds rather important. You would think that an intelligent designer would have designed one that is not subject to bursting . . .

(22-08-2015 07:30 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  It is by will alone I set my brows in motion it is by the conditioner of avocado that the brows acquire volume the skin acquires spots the spots become a warning. It is by will alone I set my brows in motion.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Octapulse's post
24-08-2015, 12:20 AM (This post was last modified: 24-08-2015 12:23 AM by Heywood Jahblome.)
(22-08-2015 05:21 AM)Octapulse Wrote:  Wow, that sounds rather important. You would think that an intelligent designer would have designed one that is not subject to bursting . . .

The failure rate is pretty low. Do you own a car? I do and I worry more about the transmission crapping out or the head gasket blowing than I do about my appendix rupturing.
24-08-2015, 01:31 AM
(22-08-2015 02:40 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  If you lose all your gut flora, you have to eat someone elses poop to get it back.

Geez man just eat yogurt like the rest of us! Gasp

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 2 users Like Banjo's post
24-08-2015, 01:43 AM
(24-08-2015 01:31 AM)Banjo Wrote:  
(22-08-2015 02:40 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  If you lose all your gut flora, you have to eat someone elses poop to get it back.

Geez man just eat yogurt like the rest of us! Gasp

You don't get that hint of nuttiness with yogurt.

[+] 1 user Likes Heywood Jahblome's post
24-08-2015, 01:59 AM (This post was last modified: 24-08-2015 02:23 AM by RocketSurgeon76.)
*sigh* Heywood, the question of a vestigial organ is not whether it has any function at all; the question is what was its original function, and is it still being used for that function? Just because an ostrich has wings it uses doesn't mean the wings aren't vestigial remnants of flying airfoils in their ancestors. Just because a whale has a pelvis that can help steer the penis doesn't mean the pelvis's purpose (as in all other vertebrate mammals) isn't to hold and support legs which are no longer there. The appendix might harbor bacteria for "repopulation" (though our dirty, disgusting, bacteria-ridden hands also do a fine job of that), but that was not its function before, and it does not do that function, now.

Those traits are all vestigial, evolutionary leftovers from an ancestral species. That is because EVERY species is a transitional fossil. Humans as we are today (assuming we don't exterminate life on the planet with nukes) are a transitional fossil to whatever version of us there will be 3+ million years from now. In 20 million years, we will barely look anything like we look now. We, right now, are a transitional fossil, and as such we have vestigial organs.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
24-08-2015, 02:20 AM
(24-08-2015 01:59 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  *sigh* Heywood, the question of a vestigial organ is not whether it has any function at all; the question is what was its original function, and is it still being used for that function? Just because an ostrich has wings it uses doesn't mean the wings aren't vestigial remnants of flying airfoils in their ancestors. Just because a whale has a pelvis that can help steer the penis doesn't mean the pelvis's purpose (as in all other vertebrate mammals) isn't to hold and support legs which are no longer there. The appendix might harbor bacteria for "repopulation" (though our dirty, disgusting, bacteria-ridden hands also do a find job of that), but that was not its function before, and it does not do that function, now.

Those traits are all vestigial, evolutionary leftovers from an ancestral species. That is because EVERY species is a transitional fossil. Humans as we are today (assuming we don't exterminate life on the planet with nukes) are a transitional fossil to whatever version of us there will be 3+ million years from now. In 20 million years, we will barely look anything like we look now. We, right now, are a transitional fossil, and as such we have vestigial organs.

I think atheist miss the point about intelligent design....and so do some theist. From my perspective, it is the universe that is intelligently designed, not the human body. The universe is intelligently designed to be emergent complex. Life is just a manifestation of the universe being emergent complex.
24-08-2015, 03:53 AM
(24-08-2015 02:20 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(24-08-2015 01:59 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  *sigh* Heywood, the question of a vestigial organ is not whether it has any function at all; the question is what was its original function, and is it still being used for that function? Just because an ostrich has wings it uses doesn't mean the wings aren't vestigial remnants of flying airfoils in their ancestors. Just because a whale has a pelvis that can help steer the penis doesn't mean the pelvis's purpose (as in all other vertebrate mammals) isn't to hold and support legs which are no longer there. The appendix might harbor bacteria for "repopulation" (though our dirty, disgusting, bacteria-ridden hands also do a find job of that), but that was not its function before, and it does not do that function, now.

I think atheist miss the point about intelligent design....and so do some theist. From my perspective, it is the universe that is intelligently designed, not the human body. The universe is intelligently designed to be emergent complex. Life is just a manifestation of the universe being emergent complex.

So you are saying that gawd created the sun, moon and stars with careful attention to detail, then got us and said "meh, fuck it. I don't feel like putting any effort into this"? If there was a gawd, you have just insulted him.

*And by the way, the percentage of people that don't end up with appendicitis is 1/3 to 1/2, indicating that thepercentage of people who do get appendicitis is 1/2 to 2/3. If the transmission failed on 2 out of every 3 cars I owned, I would be livid. Fortunately that's not the case

*[3] Graffeo, CS; Counselman, FL (November 1996). "Appendicitis.". Emergency medicine clinics of North America 14 (4): 653–71. doi:10.1016/s0733-8627(05)70273-x. PMID 8921763

(22-08-2015 07:30 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  It is by will alone I set my brows in motion it is by the conditioner of avocado that the brows acquire volume the skin acquires spots the spots become a warning. It is by will alone I set my brows in motion.
24-08-2015, 05:40 AM
How about having all the steps to make our own Vitamin C except the last one? Guess the blessed creator almost wanted us to avoid scurvy, but was just a little too lazy to put in that last step. Time for his break I guess.

And why hasn't anyone mentioned the human eye? Wiring in front of the sensors? God must really like the Mantis Shrimp better than us with all those additional cones they got. And there is no good reason that we shouldn't be able to see into the infrared and ultraviolet - except for a poor and malicious designer.

The Guinea Worm now. That was a piece of work there.

The truth will not set you free. It will only let you see your chains.
[+] 4 users Like Thameron's post
24-08-2015, 07:28 AM
(24-08-2015 02:20 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  I think atheist miss the point about intelligent design....and so do some theist. From my perspective, it is the universe that is intelligently designed, not the human body.

Except for the fact that the commonly understood meaning of "intelligent design" includes the biological world.

Quote:The universe is intelligently designed to be emergent complex. Life is just a manifestation of the universe being emergent complex.

First define "emergent complex", then provide evidence of the necessity of its design.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]