The Ark of the Covenant

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-06-2017, 11:16 AM
The Ark of the Covenant
Seriously what was it, How was it formed in it's mythic origins, Does it even exits, or just fancy bible make believe,

It apparently has multiple people in different locations looking after it,

Mount Nebo

Ethiopia

Southern Africa

France

United States

Rome

UK

Ireland

Tony Brushby, "Vatileaks" Team*

Ron Wyatt

*there is questions If he really own the Vatileaks team or he bought the website.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-06-2017, 11:20 AM
RE: The Ark of the Covenant
Look it up on wikipedia....<----I think they get a bad rap far too much. It can be argued that individual articles are bad, but they have literally 10s of thousands of worldwide historians and fact checkers and when it comes to history and science the articles are sourced and multiple views are presented.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-06-2017, 11:20 AM
And who cares?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Gawdzilla's post
11-06-2017, 11:53 AM
I thought this was going to be about Indiana Jones Sad Tongue

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 4 users Like jennybee's post
11-06-2017, 12:04 PM (This post was last modified: 11-06-2017 08:49 PM by Bucky Ball.)
In the ancient Near East, there were many arcs. It was a common thing to have a "rolling box" as a symbol of the presence of a deity, hauled around to help in battles, and sit in the temples. So there is no "THE" arc. In some ways the Jewish arc was always suspect, in my opinion, as it's making and description is part of a mythical story line (the Exodus). The last time it's said to have been seen is described here : http://www.allaboutarchaeology.org/when-...ar-faq.htm

My own opinion is it may never have existed at all, as only the High Priest was allowed in the Holy of Holies where it was kept, (and only he could see it) and it is not spoken of (putting it back, or anything at all ... which I find very suspicious) in the description of the Second Temple construction, after the Exile, AND most of all, it's not pictured in the Roman Triumphal Arch (Titus) which shows the spoils from the temple (Temple II) being taken to Rome, http://www.ancient.eu/article/499/ or even mentioned in that context, at all. In the Temple II period, did Jewish writers ever write "Oh woe is us, if only we had the arc back where it belonged" ? That's odd. They don't. Or "Let's go look for it, get it, and put it back" ?

Just my opinion. If it ever existed, it got melted down. There was a "thing" about not having "molten" objects when the kingdoms were tussling, which was written into Exodus ( http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...ble-Bull-s ) and the arc was not "molten" as it was said to be "covered' in gold leaf (or the equivalent) ... bla bla bla. Tongue
How can you have a staff of a mythical person and "tablets" that never existed in a box. I think they made it up.

On the other hand, it is very likely that at least one arc of some sort existed in one or more of the worship centers (Shiloh, Dan, BethEl), during the Confederation period, and one of those could easily been taken to Jerusalem and ''enhanced". So I guess I would say there's no way to know.

Edit : So I was thinking the Judean priests assembled the Exodus stories in Exile, and by then *Temple I* was gone. So yeah, it was a story, and there was no way anyone could verify the story of a gold covered arc with sphinxes on top. They probably got the idea from the common dual sphinxes that guarded lots of things in Babylon.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
11-06-2017, 12:21 PM
If it ever existed, it was stolen by the Babylonian or Assyrian conquerors, stripped of it's gold and was gone forever. After the return to Jerusalem, it was never recreated apparently.

Yog Sothoth! Yog Sothoth! Come back old ones! Yog Sothoth!

Cheerful Charlie
[+] 1 user Likes Cheerful Charlie's post
11-06-2017, 01:48 PM
(11-06-2017 11:16 AM)OmniConsUme Wrote:  Seriously what was it, How was it formed in it's mythic origins, Does it even exits, or just fancy bible make believe,

It apparently has multiple people in different locations looking after it,

Mount Nebo

Ethiopia

Southern Africa

France

United States

Rome

UK

Ireland

Tony Brushby, "Vatileaks" Team*

Ron Wyatt

*there is questions If he really own the Vatileaks team or he bought the website.

1 Samuel 5- the bringer of hemorrhoids. Facepalm

It's just a MacGuffin so the biblical writers could say our god is bigger and stronger than your god.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 1 user Likes TheInquisition's post
11-06-2017, 01:59 PM
It's in my shed. I keep rusty screws and bent nails in it.

What do you mean Life is short. It's the longest thing you're going to do.
[+] 1 user Likes stevec's post
11-06-2017, 03:03 PM
Somebody didn't watch Raiders of the Lost Ark. It's obviously in a warehouse somewhere.
[+] 2 users Like ResidentEvilFan's post
11-06-2017, 04:38 PM
Since archaeology has trashed the idea of an exodus and a conquest there is no need for any ark. Although, as noted, the Egyptians did parade around with a similar idea for their gods at the Opet festival.

https://www.britannica.com/topic/Opet-Egyptian-festival

Quote:Opet, ancient Egyptian festival of the second month of the lunar calendar. In the celebration of Opet, the god Amon, Mut, his consort, and Khons, their son, made a ritual journey from their shrines at Karnak to the temple of Luxor (called Ipet resyt in pharaonic Egyptian, hence the name of the festival). Scenes of the festival in the Colonnade of the Temple of Luxor carved during Tutankhamen’s reign (1333–23 bce) show priests carrying statues of Amon, Mut, and Khons in barks through the streets of ancient Thebes, thence onto river barges and on to Luxor.

[Image: img10.jpg]

I don't think the jews ever had an original idea.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 1 user Likes Minimalist's post