The Arminianism vs Calvinism (freewill vs election) Debate and Discussion Thread

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-01-2013, 12:19 PM
The Arminianism vs Calvinism (freewill vs election) Debate and Discussion Thread
I making this thread because of interest in the topic as well as for other theists who want to discuss this.

A few disclaimers:

1) This isn't a secular thread on the discussion of whether or not we have freewill.
2) This thread is for the discussion/debate on theological principles.
3) This thread will base its authority on the subject from scripture reference from the Bible.
4) This is not a discussion on the validity or the truth/untruth of the Bible; this thread assumes the validity of the Bible.
5) This is a theological discussion; as such, I would ask if you wish to participate, please debate the subject of Arminianism and Calvinism - not Christianity and the Bible.

Thanks Thumbsup

[Image: vjp09.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-01-2013, 12:28 PM
RE: The Arminianism vs Calvinism (freewill vs election) Debate and Discussion Thread
I think that election stuff is a load of completely gauche, superiority bullshit... but oh well ... if the penis isn't big enough ... whatevs. Dodgy

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
[+] 5 users Like kim's post
29-01-2013, 03:21 PM (This post was last modified: 29-01-2013 03:26 PM by Vosur.)
RE: The Arminianism vs Calvinism (freewill vs election) Debate and Discussion Thread
[Image: SCsxSpu.png]

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]
[+] 5 users Like Vosur's post
29-01-2013, 03:24 PM
(29-01-2013 12:19 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  I making this thread because of interest in the topic as well as for other theists who want to discuss this.

A few disclaimers:

1) This isn't a secular thread on the discussion of whether or not we have freewill.
2) This thread is for the discussion/debate on theological principles.
3) This thread will base its authority on the subject from scripture reference from the Bible.
4) This is not a discussion on the validity or the truth/untruth of the Bible; this thread assumes the validity of the Bible.
5) This is a theological discussion; as such, I would ask if you wish to participate, please debate the subject of Arminianism and Calvinism - not Christianity and the Bible.

Thanks Thumbsup
KC, I dont know what you want me to do here. I can only answer questions and based on my beliefs. I'm not a Calvanist so I am not qualified to discuss Arminianism or Calvinism. I went to look up Arminianism and it just pulled up a site on Calvinisnm.
Are they one and the same? What do you want to know from me? I am just plain old Christian, like the Apostles, I have no denomination, I just follow Jesus and the Bible as best I can, granting that I dont always do what Jesus says to do.
29-01-2013, 03:35 PM
Quote:4) This is not a discussion on the validity or the truth/untruth of the Bible; this thread assumes the validity of the Bible.

Fail.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
[+] 4 users Like earmuffs's post
29-01-2013, 03:38 PM
(29-01-2013 03:35 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  
Quote:4) This is not a discussion on the validity or the truth/untruth of the Bible; this thread assumes the validity of the Bible.

Fail.
Nah, we have plenty of those threads. No need to recreate one.

29-01-2013, 03:40 PM
Richard, I was under the impression that you were an Arminian.

Answer these questions for me:

1) Do you think that you have freewill?
2) Do you believe that anyone can be saved?

29-01-2013, 03:44 PM
Let me clear something up. I dont worry about all these "great" theological debates over men's doctrines. I am just a plain old Christian. There is only ONE thing that concerns me about "theology". Am I saved or unsaved. Based on God's Word I am saved. Nothing else is really important to me. Jesus told us lots of things to help us grow as a Christian but, at my age, I'm only interested in one thing: Am I going to Heaven or aint I?
I am and only because I believe that jesus died to pay the penalty for my sins. I dont know from predestination or any of that "theological" clap-trap. It's not important to me. I may be the least in Heaven and that's fine with me.
29-01-2013, 03:46 PM
(29-01-2013 03:40 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Richard, I was under the impression that you were an Arminian.

Answer these questions for me:

1) Do you think that you have freewill?
2) Do you believe that anyone can be saved?
KC,
I'm Christian. Period.
Yes, I have freewill. I can either choose to believe or choose to not believe.
EVERYONE can be saved. All they have to do is believe Jesus died to pay the penalty for their sins.
29-01-2013, 03:46 PM
(29-01-2013 03:38 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(29-01-2013 03:35 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Fail.
Nah, we have plenty of those threads. No need to recreate one.
Why? Because when the ability to question the bible is in play the validity of your (Christian) argument falls apart faster then something that falls apart?

The beauty of science is that the whole thing is up for discussion. When debating science there are no restrictions on what can and cannot be brought up.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]