The Arminianism vs Calvinism (freewill vs election) Debate and Discussion Thread

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-01-2013, 09:05 PM
RE: The Arminianism vs Calvinism (freewill vs election) Debate and Discussion Thread
This is childish.

"Hurrr I know u r but wut am i hurr"

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-01-2013, 09:39 PM
RE: The Arminianism vs Calvinism (freewill vs election) Debate and Discussion Thread
This thread is incomplete.

The debate must be:

Arminianism vs Calvinism vs Veridicanism

That would be enlightening, enriching, illuminative, broadening, educational and funny.

DISCLAIMER: If you find a message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it.
If you don't know how to ignore a message, complain to me and I will be happy to demonstrate.

[Image: tta.php]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like KVron's post
30-01-2013, 12:42 AM
(29-01-2013 09:39 PM)KVron Wrote:  This thread is incomplete.

The debate must be:

Arminianism vs Calvinism vs Veridicanism

That would be enlightening, enriching, illuminative, broadening, educational and funny.
Your sense of humour is only exceeded by a wicked sadism........ Cool
[+] 2 users Like Mr Woof's post
10-03-2013, 07:42 AM
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread...=152426173

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
12-03-2013, 08:08 AM
KC,

You're saying I think that freewill and Godly omnipotence are incompatible. Some questions:
1. What do your terms mean? Can you state them relatively unambiguously?
2. What precise contradiction do you see?

I think you are saying something like:
* Omnipotence is the ability to do that which is not logically impossible
* Free will is the ability for an entity to choose particular actions within a particular set of constraints
Then,
1. Human free will places a limit on God not to interfere outside the imposition of predefined constraints
2. God exists is omnipotent
3. Therefore, humans do not have free will

That seems a convoluted argument to me if it is the one you are making. Let's assume a God exists -
* Why is it necessary that God has the version of omnipotence you define for him? Couldn't he have a different form of omnipotence? Isn't a definition of omnipotence that allows God to create the universe and alter the state of the universe at will at any point in space and time or across the entirety of the universe - isn't that a definition of omnipotence that is sufficient to meet biblical standards?
* Why does human free will necessarily detract from God's omnipotence. When I play a game of Barbie™ snakes and ladders with my children we play by a defined set of rules. I stick to those rules and they stick to the rules as best they can. Their ability to stick to the rules or break them and my allowing them to do so doesn't detract from the fact I can send them to their rooms or beat them in an arm wrestle. The powers I have at my disposal aren't diminished by my choice not to exercise them.

From what I know of Calvanism as a branch of theology it seems to make some big claims based on what I see as thin evidence. I think it also results in perverse outcomes whereby the believer has to accept that everyone they love who God just didn't choose to save will burn burn burn forever and that hooray - the believer will be just fine with that while they worship God forever in heaven. To what end then, the universe? What is the significance of this creation if its ends were known and planned from the beginning?

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 1 user Likes Hafnof's post
12-03-2013, 05:28 PM
The lack of consideration for Pastafarianism in this thread is appalling.

There is no "I" in "team" but there is a broken and mixed up "me."