The Art of Face Shaving.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-02-2013, 04:19 PM (This post was last modified: 11-02-2013 08:07 PM by Dark Light.)
The Art of Face Shaving.
The scourge of modern manhood.

Most men, and some women have to deal with shaving their face, but it doesn't have to be so terrible. Many young men in my generation, the generation before me, and the upcoming generation are learning to shave by trial and error. Too often fathers can't or don't teach their sons the proper way to shave. Aside from growing up without a father, the family dynamics have changed, it is just not something done as often anymore. My father never showed me how, maybe because his father died when he was a boy and no one was there to teach him. In any event I have been getting better over the years, and I even taught my own father a bit about shaving, a bit of role-reversal. For several years, as many of you may already know, shaving wasn't an option for me. 6-7 times a week I shaved. As my facial hair got thicker my shave bumps became worse. Before I knew it my throat was a bloody mess most mornings. I tried bump fighting blades, bump fighting shaving cream, I tried to get away with shaving every 1.5 days instead of everyday. After that not really working very well I moved on to an electric razor, which did help, but I did not get a very close shave so I had to do it more often. With having to travel a lot in some pretty terrible places the electric razor got beat up quick and fell apart after only about 3 months of use. Cleaning it was a hassle, and the blades were expensive. I gave up on the idea of electric blade before discovering something that finally worked well for me, which I have been using for over a year now and thought I'd share.

The double-edged safety razor: This is probably what you're grandfather or great-grandfather used if you are young. For the middle-aged and older, you can probably remember your father using it if you don't use it yourself. After using it I immediately noticed a big improvement. I decided not to fuck around and get a cheap one, so I got a $100+ Merkur shaving kit. What I have since discovered is that it wasn't really necessary at all, but I don't really regret it either, it is a fine razor. You can spend 20-30 bucks and still get just as fine of a shave. The razors will last many decades to come, if not for the rest of your life. Aside from getting a great shave it will save you a boat load of money in the long run. A package of the four or five-bladed new thing of razors costs at least 12 or 13 bucks, if not more. If you shave often you will easily go through those in a couple of weeks. The replacement double-edged safety razors cost literally a few pennies to 10 cents a piece for the quality blades online (I bought mine on amazon). I bought twenty bucks worth of blades over a year ago and I still have a plenty left.

I also switched to using to good shaving soap and a badger hair shaving brush instead of the blue goop in a can, which feels nice and leaves a pleasant, but still manly scent. Van Der Hagen is my preference, its a little more pricey than some others, but it is well worth it in my opinion. I have found it in drug stores for about $15 a block, but since then I have bought it online, same price for three blocks.

You can find old double-edged (and single-edged, but I'd stick with double) at antique shops and thrift stores for ~$10-$15. You may be able to find a cool old shaving mug for your soap as well.

I may venture into trying out a straight razor as well, but as of yet, have not. Don't know if messing about with a strop will be worth it to me.

A couple of quick tips for those who don't know.

Use hot water on your face before shaving. It opens the pores and makes a better shave an easier shave.
Using the stiff hair of a badger hair brush is supposed to percolate the pores as well.
Shave with the grain, especially if you have sensitive skin.
Use cold water to rinse your face off afterward, this closes the pours and helps minimize any nicks.
Avoid putting on any after-shave that has alcohol in it, this dries the skin and makes it more susceptible to damage from your blade.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Dark Light's post
11-02-2013, 09:05 PM
RE: The Art of Face Shaving.
Real men don't shave. Drinking Beverage

DISCLAIMER: If you find a message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it.
If you don't know how to ignore a message, complain to me and I will be happy to demonstrate.

[Image: tta.php]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-02-2013, 09:14 PM
(11-02-2013 09:05 PM)KVron Wrote:  Real men don't shave. Drinking Beverage
In that case you either:

a.) Have shaved and are therefore not a real man.

or

b.) Can't grow a beard worth a damn and are therefore not a real man.

Drinking Beverage

Big Grin

11-02-2013, 09:17 PM
Razors are scary, and a smooth shave with an electric is an arduous task. Most of the time I just go as short as the trimmer will allow, about 1mm.
11-02-2013, 09:42 PM
I buy the Mach-5 blades. Expensive? Yes. Work well and clean easily? Yes. ... Told ManlyGirly I wanted a straight razor and wanted to go to a more traditional shaving routine as my Christmas present. "Why? So you can accidentally off yourself with a jugular nick? Ain't fuckin' gonna happen fatboy." ... Girly loves Manly. Hug

I am us and we is me. ... bitches.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
11-02-2013, 09:50 PM
(11-02-2013 09:42 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I buy the Mach-5 blades. Expensive? Yes. Work well and clean easily? Yes. ... Told ManlyGirly I wanted a straight razor and wanted to go to a more traditional shaving routine as my Christmas present. "Why? So you can accidentally off yourself with a jugular nick? Ain't fuckin' gonna happen fatboy." ... Girly loves Manly. Hug
Well, sounds like it's time to compromise. Here's my set. By some coincidence my travel razor is an old Gillette Fatboy from the late 50's which I lovingly restored to its glory myself.

11-02-2013, 10:01 PM
(11-02-2013 09:14 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  
(11-02-2013 09:05 PM)KVron Wrote:  Real men don't shave. Drinking Beverage
In that case you either:

a.) Have shaved and are therefore not a real man.

or

b.) Can't grow a beard worth a damn and are therefore not a real man.

Drinking Beverage

Big Grin
Damn!!
Check mate.

DISCLAIMER: If you find a message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it.
If you don't know how to ignore a message, complain to me and I will be happy to demonstrate.

[Image: tta.php]
11-02-2013, 10:32 PM
My father wasn't around when I was of shaving age, so I was FORCED to learn it on my own in the military. Nothing insures a steady hand like a 7 foot tall drill sergeant (no lie) screaming at you to hurry up. The kid next to me got in too much of a hurry and peeled his face like a potato; the skin literally coiled out the other side of the razor like a potato skin. It was very bloody! I always hated shaving in the military because I longed to have the goatee that I had before signing my life away. I didn't shave for 6 months after I got out. My beard was large and very manly, manly like animal. I had a goatee for about 6 years before I finally decided to do away with it. I did it for health reasons; I have very sensitive skin, and it is only getting more sensitive as I age. I now shave every couple of days because facial hair makes my face burn.

I've tried all manner of expensive and cheap razors, and the one that works the best for me for the least amount of dime is "Gillette Custom Plus." It is a disposable razor with two blades and a pivoting neck. I use "Edge: Sensitive Skin" in unison with this.
11-02-2013, 11:14 PM
(11-02-2013 10:32 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  My father wasn't around when I was of shaving age, so I was FORCED to learn it on my own in the military. Nothing insures a steady hand like a 7 foot tall drill sergeant (no lie) screaming at you to hurry up. The kid next to me got in too much of a hurry and peeled his face like a potato; the skin literally coiled out the other side of the razor like a potato skin. It was very bloody! I always hated shaving in the military because I longed to have the goatee that I had before signing my life away. I didn't shave for 6 months after I got out. My beard was large and very manly, manly like animal. I had a goatee for about 6 years before I finally decided to do away with it. I did it for health reasons; I have very sensitive skin, and it is only getting more sensitive as I age. I now shave every couple of days because facial hair makes my face burn.

I've tried all manner of expensive and cheap razors, and the one that works the best for me for the least amount of dime is "Gillette Custom Plus." It is a disposable razor with two blades and a pivoting neck. I use "Edge: Sensitive Skin" in unison with this.
My story is similar, except my RDC (Recruit Division Commander, that's Company Commander for the old salts) was a 5'1" Filipino female, but no less intimidating I assure you. I kept getting yelled at for the peach fuzz on my Adam's apple which I could not see as it was very blond. I kept getting yelled at to "Shave it again!" until there was just a bloody nub where my Adam's apple should be. Finally another recruit shaved it for me because he felt sorry for me and could see how painful it was for me. The very first time we had to shave we had three minutes. That may sound semi-reasonable, but to put it in context we had our razors and cream in one of two large green military duffle bags (seabags for us sailors.) which were locked up with a padlock, there were over 80 of us and about 30 sinks. What a bloody fucking mess that was. Of course I was the last back as it took me 2:55 seconds just to FIND my razor. Guess who got to scrub the heads (toilets/urinals) and clean up the very bloody sinks? Consider To this day I cannot stand the smell of this shit because associated memories.
[Image: 38756987]

12-02-2013, 01:07 AM
My dad always makes fun of me because he never sees me with extensive facial hair. I had a mustache/goatee thing going on for a little while, but he's never seen me with stubble. He never taught me to shave, so he assumes I've never done it. He says I don't have the balls to grow any facial hair. Blink

In reality, I taught myself to shave and have been doing so ever since. What's more, I've never cut myself, so he never sees me with any wounds. He gives me a bunch of shit like "When you learn to shave, you'll see what I mean about cutting yourself and going to work with little bits of toilet paper stuck to your face."

I just can't fathom what kind of retard cuts his own face while removing hair. Even in his 50's, I still see my dad with cuts on his neck and cheeks. Dumbass. Dodgy

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!