The Art of a Theist/Atheist Relationship

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-01-2013, 01:49 PM
The Art of a Theist/Atheist Relationship
My Baptist fiance tells me in bed last night that her prayers are being answered because a guy at her work who gets on her nerves hasn't been talking to her lately. I politely pointed out how silly it is to even present the guy as an object in prayer considering others use it as a portal to ask for food or medicine, and in response she yells...

[Image: 10-angry_cat_1.jpg]

"LISTEN, I DON'T NEED YOU PUSHING AGAINST LIFE RIGHT NOW! I'M NOT IN THE MOOD!"

And I said "Well what kind of sane person who believes in prayer thinks getting a certain individual to shut up is the most important thing in the world to brag to an atheist about?" And....

[Image: angry-cat.gif?afbedd]

/facepalm

Leviticus does not justify stupidity, but it is more than enough to define corruption of the human mind.

[Image: 24851795.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Matthew Laramore's post
17-01-2013, 08:23 PM
RE: The Art of a Theist/Atheist Relationship
Pushing against life?

I don't think I could handle that. I broke up with my last bf because he "got saved" and started talking about jesus and visions of angels. I have enough insanity in my life without that sort of thing.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
17-01-2013, 08:31 PM
Hey, I got no sympathy for you.

You forgot the basic rule of life:

1) Just nod your head and agree to everything a women says.
2) Don't fail to do rule #1.

I'm gay I know this, no excuses.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like earmuffs's post
18-01-2013, 12:28 AM
(17-01-2013 08:31 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Hey, I got no sympathy for you.

You forgot the basic rule of life:

1) Just nod your head and agree to everything a women says.
2) Don't fail to do rule #1.

I'm gay I know this, no excuses.

Yes, but knowing the path and walking the path are not one in the same, young grasshopper... Smartass

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
18-01-2013, 01:29 AM
I got lucky with my ex (never thought I'd say that, lol). She was a christian, but every time the subject of God would come up, she'd tell me "You and I have different beliefs; I respect yours and you respect mine, so zip." So, we never had theological discussions.

Plus, she kept all her christy nonsense to herself, and she put out. We in sales call that a "win" Thumbsup

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
18-01-2013, 01:54 AM
Muffs is giving you good advice on women. MUFFS! That should tell you how dumb your mistake was. If you going to marry a theist you have to learn to shut shut the fuck up about it. Hoping you can change her down the road by arguing for your irreligion is a mistake. You can either accept it, or not. If you can't accept it than save yourself the heartache and just leave now. IF she is going to de-convert she will do it of her own accord, you being snarky isn't going to help. If she she is marrying you and hoping to convert you then the relationship may be equally doomed to misery and/or failure. You gotta take her for who she is, or not at all. That's my advice. I'm not trying to be an asshole, honest. I'm just giving my advice bluntly, and of course you know your relationship better than anyone else. Good luck!

18-01-2013, 08:49 AM
My wife is a follower of the Wickan religion, but it's never really an issue. She knows I don't believe in her deities and I let her babble on with her friend about whatever. Everything is copacetic.

Obama promised you change. Reach in your pocket, feel those coins? There's your change...
18-01-2013, 09:00 AM
(18-01-2013 01:54 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  Muffs is giving you good advice on women. MUFFS! That should tell you how dumb your mistake was. If you going to marry a theist you have to learn to shut shut the fuck up about it. Hoping you can change her down the road by arguing for your irreligion is a mistake. You can either accept it, or not. If you can't accept it than save yourself the heartache and just leave now. IF she is going to de-convert........
Allow me to stop you in your tracks here Wile E. before you fall off the edge of the cliff again chasing Road Runner prematurely. I am not a "de-converter" and she is not a "converter." One reason we have worked so well over the years is due to the true nature of our feelings.

I am engaged to a black Baptist woman, and my best friend of almost 20 years also is Baptist. If she was to try and convert me she would not want to wed outside of the church and without a religious officiate like myself, but she does because she agrees that it's the only way we both can enjoy each other wholly instead of having the entire matrimony account only for only her half of the relationship. She would not read the many essays I have written on atheistic grounds to support me and she would not have gone far out of her reach to defend us when her uncle who hasn't talked to her for over a decade suddenly calls her up to "remind" her of what punishment she'll face for not being romantically linked with another Christian, the guy is deceased now so I'll never have the pleasure of giving him my 20 bucks personally. We love each other, not the idea of converting another down the road, I am not affiliated in anyone's "conversion" and I never will be, easy as that.

Her and I always like to make the other look contagiously mean to everyone for a laugh. Our humor also levels out and far exceeds our religious beliefs on what defines our relationship, and plays a major role in why neither of us hold or dedicate any thought to converting one another...or anyone. My best friend (who also holds the honorable position of being my ONLY friend because I pretty much have haste towards the rest of humanity down here.) is just as important, the only thing we both "worship" together are video games and the short time span in the week we have to hang together since he is only off work on Mondays and Tuesdays and I work nights.

Conversions are not on any of our minds and never will be, we all share the understanding that to forcibly deter another like that for only our personal benefit is selfish, egotistical and stupid when you count the time we all spend not giving a fuck about it, which is 100% of the time. I can not imagine anyone, regardless of personality, that I'd rather want to dedicate my life to, with not a thing changed, especially when they express the same love towards myself.

Do not be so quick to assume either side of a single friendship is hell bent on converting anyone, otherwise...

[Image: x_correcamins8o.gif]

Leviticus does not justify stupidity, but it is more than enough to define corruption of the human mind.

[Image: 24851795.jpg]
18-01-2013, 09:08 AM
(18-01-2013 09:00 AM)Matthew Laramore Wrote:  
(18-01-2013 01:54 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  Muffs is giving you good advice on women. MUFFS! That should tell you how dumb your mistake was. If you going to marry a theist you have to learn to shut shut the fuck up about it. Hoping you can change her down the road by arguing for your irreligion is a mistake. You can either accept it, or not. If you can't accept it than save yourself the heartache and just leave now. IF she is going to de-convert........
Allow me to stop you in your tracks here Wile E. before you fall off the edge of the cliff again chasing Road Runner prematurely. I am not a "de-converter" and she is not a "converter." One reason we have worked so well over the years is due to the true nature of our feelings.

I am engaged to a black Baptist woman, and my best friend of almost 20 years also is Baptist. If she was to try and convert me she would not want to wed outside of the church and without a religious officiate like myself, but she does because she agrees that it's the only way we both can enjoy each other wholly instead of having the entire matrimony account only for only her half of the relationship. She would not read the many essays I have written on atheistic grounds to support me and she would not have gone far out of her reach to defend us when her uncle who hasn't talked to her for over a decade suddenly calls her up to "remind" her of what punishment she'll face for not being romantically linked with another Christian, the guy is deceased now so I'll never have the pleasure of giving him my 20 bucks personally. We love each other, not the idea of converting another down the road, I am not affiliated in anyone's "conversion" and I never will be, easy as that.

Her and I always like to make the other look contagiously mean to everyone for a laugh. Our humor also levels out and far exceeds our religious beliefs on what defines our relationship, and plays a major role in why neither of us hold or dedicate any thought to converting one another...or anyone. My best friend (who also holds the honorable position of being my ONLY friend because I pretty much have haste towards the rest of humanity down here.) is just as important, the only thing we both "worship" together are video games and the short time span in the week we have to hang together since he is only off work on Mondays and Tuesdays and I work nights.

Conversions are not on any of our minds and never will be, we all share the understanding that to forcibly deter another like that for only our personal benefit is selfish, egotistical and stupid when you count the time we all spend not giving a fuck about it, which is 100% of the time. I can not imagine anyone, regardless of personality, that I'd rather want to dedicate my life to, with not a thing changed, especially when they express the same love towards myself.

Do not be so quick to assume either side of a single friendship is hell bent on converting anyone, otherwise...

[Image: x_correcamins8o.gif]
You saw the "ifs" in there, right?
You also saw the "and of course you know your relationship better than anyone else." part too I'll presume.

Don't have to defend your relationship to me.

18-01-2013, 11:04 PM
My BF is a Christian but we respect each other's right to have our own opinions. I have theist friends and a pentecostal brother, but we have other interests in common, so we don't have to agree with each other on this one subject (that or politics) to make it work. You just have to decide how important the relationship is and either have civil discussion or, if that is not possible, agree to disagree if that subject comes up. Some people can discuss it civilly and others cannot. If someone bullies you about it, then they are more hung up on control than caring about who you are, and as Bill Engvall says, "here's your sign."

Godless in the Magnolia State
[+] 1 user Likes cjs's post