The Art of destroying Life!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-04-2012, 01:43 PM (This post was last modified: 22-04-2012 01:46 PM by justmetoo.)
The Art of destroying Life!
I've never understood the need to kill. Though I've thought about accomplishing that feat on those who were responsible for causing others harm and hurt, but I don't think I could follow through. Even when I get into a physical fight, even when I was winning it, I always tried to finish it, without really hurting the other person. I guess I get let my elephant mouth overwhelms my pigeon chest, when I rant about hurting others.

I just wonder if people are so stuck on themselves or their causes, that they would violently remove anyone from the face of the world?

Should revenge or fear be any more a reason to kill than any other excuse?

Is the state any more able to justify removing a person from existence than a private citizen?

Is there virtue in taking a convicted person's life and would it be a matter of justice or a matter of revenge for the original transgression?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-04-2012, 04:24 PM
RE: The Art of destroying Life!
Well, I do not understand your first question, as it is worded oddly, but here is what I think for the others.

Revenge/Fear: There is no entirely good reason for killing someone. You may justify it any way you want but you are still ending someones life; be it an accident, what you have been trained to do, or even to right a wrong that they have committed. So no, excuses to kill someone all boil down to the fact you are ending their life.

State/Private:Yes and no. It could be for the betterment of the world or just a way to silence someone who saw too much. The U.S. killed Osama bin Laden because he orchestrated events that killed innocent people. We also attempted to kill Fidel Castro simply for the reason we thought he was a Communist. We never succeeded and now they will not refuse healthcare to anyone, be them foreigners or citizens.(though he does suppress any dissenters because they tried to speak his mind.)

Convict/Death: Yes. It is cheaper and painless. Though putting them into isolation would be a better choice.

Under Repair.
22-04-2012, 04:43 PM (This post was last modified: 22-04-2012 05:08 PM by Thomas.)
I don't see killing as an "art form".
The Buddha would say that killing is never justified, even in self defense.
Why would you have to kill someone to stop them from killing you?

The government (state) actually does not have a moral justification for killing. Capital punishment is performed on someone already in prison who posses no additional harm. You cannot undo the crime. All you do is cause additional pain and suffering to the convicted without benefit to the victim. This is state sponsored revenge. Survivors of the victims want "closure", actually revenge, on the perp so politicians comply for votes.

Two wrongs don't equal one right, they equal two wrongs.

Solitary confinement for life is quite cruel. You would probably rather be dead than that.

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
[+] 1 user Likes Thomas's post
22-04-2012, 04:57 PM (This post was last modified: 22-04-2012 05:04 PM by GirlyMan.)
(22-04-2012 04:43 PM)Thomas Wrote:  Solitary confinement for life is quite cruel. You would probably rather be dead than that.

With constant reminders of their crime. Execution, like parole, needs to be earned. Dunno why those in favor of executing them as a matter of course find that so hard to understand.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
22-04-2012, 05:14 PM
(22-04-2012 04:43 PM)Thomas Wrote:  I don't see killing as an "art form".
I wasn't speaking about rational human beings. Have not those who are determined to spread death as far and wide as possible worked diligently to perfect their trade. Have they not refined their abilities to end life, just as an artist refines their ability to create art.

What about the Nazi's. What about the military industrial complex, what about our own government, searching for a more efficient maner of taking life. They call it searching for a more humane way, but the more you look at it, all they really mean is finding a better camouflage for what they feel justified in doing.
[+] 1 user Likes justmetoo's post
22-04-2012, 05:25 PM
(22-04-2012 04:24 PM)itsacow Wrote:  Revenge/Fear:

No, no, no, and no.

A threat can usually be disabled. In the extreme circumstance, only if no other way out, yes for the threat. Revenge .. never, (including state "revenge").,"getting justice" for bla bla bla. 1. A "state of justice" is not brought about by a death, 2. the affect effects YOU more, the life-ender. Better to lock em up, throw away the key, and walk away. Nothing can turn the clock back. Involving yourself in killing will have a lasting affect on YOU. It changes nothing

It IS cheaper to lock 'em up. The appeals process has been shown to cost way more, than life in prison. If they are dead, they don't suffer. (If you want them to suffer, the only way, is to let them live).

I would do absolutely anything to remove myself from the situation. Walk away. Any other way, they are defeating you, by dragging you down to their level. (IMHO)

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
22-04-2012, 05:46 PM (This post was last modified: 22-04-2012 05:53 PM by GirlyMan.)
(22-04-2012 05:14 PM)justmetoo Wrote:  
(22-04-2012 04:43 PM)Thomas Wrote:  I don't see killing as an "art form".
I wasn't speaking about rational human beings. Have not those who are determined to spread death as far and wide as possible worked diligently to perfect their trade. Have they not refined their abilities to end life, just as an artist refines their ability to create art.

What about the Nazi's. What about the military industrial complex, what about our own government, searching for a more efficient maner of taking life. They call it searching for a more humane way, but the more you look at it, all they really mean is finding a better camouflage for what they feel justified in doing.

You sound like Zatamon. I miss Zatamon. Smile

[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
22-04-2012, 05:47 PM
This pretty much sums up the Death Penalty vs Life in Prison

http://deathpenalty.procon.org/view.reso...eID=002000

Under Repair.
22-04-2012, 05:50 PM
(22-04-2012 05:25 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  (If you want them to suffer, the only way, is to let them live).

Well duh. ... Wink

22-04-2012, 06:20 PM
Well, personally, if I had a choice between life in prison or death, I would choose death, I don't even have to think about it. Others may not feel the same.

If there is an intruder in my house, I'm going to shoot first and ask questions later.

No way in hell will I let someone hurt me or mine. If he can't ring the doorbell or otherwise announce himself and finds a way to get through locked doors, I have to assume he is up to no good and I am in danger.

I might feel differently if I were a young male. But I am a not so young female and I'm not taking any risks with my life.

Other than that, I am against capital punishment unless the person asks for it. I am not for punishing people, I am for keeping them where they cannot do harm. I think they should be provided with basic survival only, and the opportunity to earn money while jailed. If they want a TV, let them work for it like anybody else. With today's technology, anyone can do some sort of job within a jail environment.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man