The Assassin

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-10-2011, 06:44 PM (This post was last modified: 26-10-2011 01:44 PM by Hughsie.)
The Assassin
Has anyone else seen the first episode of Derren Brown's new series? It's called the Assassin and this link takes you to 4od where you can watch it (not sure about non-UK residents).

Believe me it's worth a watch.

Would love to hear what anyone who has seen it thinks.

Edit: The 4od link will not work for non-UK residents. This link will take you to it on youtube.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-10-2011, 11:42 PM
RE: The Assassin
(25-10-2011 06:44 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  Has anyone else seen the first episode of Derren Brown's new series? It's called the Assassin and this link takes you to 4od where you can watch it (not sure about non-UK residents).

Believe me it's worth a watch.

Would love to hear what anyone who has seen it thinks.

Wish I could see it. Unfortunately the 4oD service is apparently available only in the UK and Ireland. I'm in the U.S. Sad

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
26-10-2011, 05:02 AM (This post was last modified: 26-10-2011 05:08 AM by Hughsie.)
(25-10-2011 11:42 PM)cufflink Wrote:  Wish I could see it. Unfortunately the 4oD service is apparently available only in the UK and Ireland. I'm in the U.S. Sad

Hopefully it will be shown in the US in the next few weeks. It's simply too good for you all to not see it.
I think I've found it on youtube for those outside the UK. This link should work. It will take you to part one of the show, the show is in three parts and the links to the next two parts are to the right of the screen.

Let me know if it doesn't work.

Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
26-10-2011, 12:25 PM (This post was last modified: 26-10-2011 12:30 PM by cufflink.)
Thanks, Hughsie. YouTube to the rescue! I was able to watch all four parts.

As someone with a lifelong interest in hypnosis, I have mixed feelings about Derren Brown. I like that he brings the facts of psychological manipulation in general and hypnosis in particular to the public, because there's a lot of misinformation out there. Warm and fuzzy ideas like "all hypnosis is self-hypnosis" and "you can never be made to do anything that's against your moral convictions" are promulgated by hypnotists who are trying to gain clients by convincing people there are no dangers to being hypnotized. DB makes clear the unsettling fact that, with a clever, experienced hypnotist working with the right subject (which is key, because only a small percentage of the population can be hypnotized to the level needed for experiments like these to succeed), virtually anything is possible.

At the same time, I question the ethics behind some of the things Brown does. This poor guy Chris did not volunteer to be the subject of this caper. He's been controlled in a way that demeans his humanity, and now his face is all over TV and the Internet; he'll have a hard time living down the reputation of being "the guy Derren Brown hypnotized into trying to kill Stephen Fry." I suppose Brown needed to get Chris's permission after the fact to make this public, but I'm cynical enough to wonder whether he didn't quickly re-hypnotize him and "encourage" him to let the footage be shown. I hope Chris was extremely well compensated for being used in this way.

BTW, I've always thought there was a strong connection between hypnosis and religious experience. Pentecostals with their eyes closed, arms in the air, "speaking in tongues" are exhibiting hypnotic phenomena. And preachers take advantage of hypnotic susceptibility all the time. "Faith healers" like that sleazeball Benny Hinn are nothing but stage hypnotists. Years ago I once saw a televangelist use blatant hypnotic techniques, up to and including telling viewers that "When I count from one to three, you'll go to the phone and call with a generous donation to our ministry." Not kidding.

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
26-10-2011, 12:40 PM
I like that a lot of the time he shows up the religious/supernatural frauds for what they are. I don't know if you've seen The Seance or his special on faith healing but they really do show that sorta stuff up for the BS it is.

Best
Worst
26-10-2011, 12:44 PM
(26-10-2011 12:40 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  I like that a lot of the time he shows up the religious/supernatural frauds for what they are. I don't know if you've seen The Seance or his special on faith healing but they really do show that sorta stuff up for the BS it is.

I've seen a lot of his stuff on YT but not the special on faith healing. I'll look for it. Thanks.

26-10-2011, 01:40 PM
Here you go cufflink. This link takes you to a thread on here for the faith healing special (Miracles For Sales) which has a youtube video embedded. The video should work, it doesn't work for me but I think that's because I'm in the UK. You should be OK in America.

Best
Worst
27-10-2011, 06:00 PM
(26-10-2011 01:40 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  Here you go cufflink. This link takes you to a thread on here for the faith healing special (Miracles For Sales) which has a youtube video embedded. The video should work, it doesn't work for me but I think that's because I'm in the UK. You should be OK in America.

Thanks again, Hughsie. That was worth the time. It'd be nice to think this special did some good in the world.

27-10-2011, 06:08 PM
(27-10-2011 06:00 PM)cufflink Wrote:  Thanks again, Hughsie. That was worth the time. It'd be nice to think this special did some good in the world.

It would be nice but I'm not holding my breath unfortunately.

Best
Worst