The Atheism of Deities

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-10-2014, 03:20 PM
RE: The Atheism of Deities
Yahweh has some self confidence problems, I think it means he's an atheist.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-10-2014, 03:57 PM
(08-10-2014 02:54 PM)Cetaceaphile Wrote:  If it leads to the whole 'what is a god?' thing then that's fine, but I think it is a very important thing to point out that the 'atheist' dictators were not actual atheists, and avoid going on the defensive about them.

So, adding a 'true scotsman' to the argument would be better than a borderline special pleading? Consider
08-10-2014, 04:05 PM
(08-10-2014 03:10 PM)Cetaceaphile Wrote:  
(08-10-2014 03:08 PM)Chas Wrote:  We don't have to defend them. Bad people do bad things, theists and atheists alike.

Only theists also do some bad things for religious reasons.

Although of course if I was a theist now would be the time I repeat "And Stalin did bad things because he was an atheist. Look, he had state imposed atheism! Atheism is another religion!"

Why are you ignoring the difference between doing things in the name and purpose of religion and doing things because of other reasons?

I will restate:
  • Theists and atheists have done terrible things because they are evil people;
  • Theists have done some terrible things in the name and service of their religions;
  • No atheist, ever, anywhere, anywhen has committed any atrocity in the name of atheism.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-10-2014, 04:31 PM (This post was last modified: 08-10-2014 04:37 PM by Adrianime.)
(08-10-2014 04:05 PM)Chas Wrote:  I will restate:
  • No atheist, ever, anywhere, anywhen has committed any atrocity in the name of atheism.
I wouldn't stick to that particular claim, as you never know if some serial killer out there decided that as an atheist, they thought non-atheists were scum or a waste of breathing space, and decided to go on a killing spree focusing on church-goers and other "sheep". I'd define that as an atrocity motivated by the fact that they are atheist. Unless you mean instructed by atheism, which of course nobody can be instructed by atheism to do anything. Seeing as there are no instructions.

---
As far as the OP, "are gods atheist?". The answer would be no, IMO. Atheism isn't the lack of worship of a god, it is the lack of belief in the existence of a god. If you believe you yourself are actually a god, how can you call yourself an atheist? Also, presenting yourself as an ultimate or supreme authority is not the same as claiming to be a god. And claiming to be a god is not the same as believing you actually are one.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
08-10-2014, 05:02 PM
(08-10-2014 03:10 PM)Cetaceaphile Wrote:  
(08-10-2014 03:08 PM)Chas Wrote:  We don't have to defend them. Bad people do bad things, theists and atheists alike.

Only theists also do some bad things for religious reasons.

Although of course if I was a theist now would be the time I repeat "And Stalin did bad things because he was an atheist. Look, he had state imposed atheism! Atheism is another religion!"

Atheism is not a religion.

I will just state my opinion on this and leave it at that.

While I do not know anything about Stalin, I can attest that the differences between religion and the neutral position of Atheism is that both do bad things for two different reasons: sort of.

If a group of people go out and murder a bunch of abortion clinic doctors because they are doing something against what their bible says ( this happens frequently around the world, and if not a abortion clinic doctor, someone else FOR someone else. Many people die a day this way.) or goes against what they "think" the bible says since they have never actually read it like 90% of everyone in their religion.

They are doing so for religious reasons. If the religion was not a factor, they most likely would never had done so.

An atheist on the other hand would murder for completely different reasons. None of which would have to do with someone believing in a god. I am sure that there might be at least one or two psychopaths out there who used that reason to murder someone. But, let's not forget that every once in a while, a man from Texas or the Deep South somewhere will be in the paper for killing his wife because she over cooked his eggs or didn't make him breakfast.

It happens at least a few times each year when I read this in the news somewhere.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ