Read all about it ...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/feb...-islington
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes anotherother's post
04-02-2013, 06:38 AM
RE: The Atheist Church in London
An interesting concept to be sure.

However, I hope the aren't actually calling it a church... as if we need any more Bible Bashers running around say "Atheism is just a religion".

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
04-02-2013, 06:41 AM
This bit was revealing:

"David Robertson, director of the Solas Centre for Public Christianity and a Church of Scotland minister in Dundee, is also doubtful. "I can understand why the format of church would be very appealing," he says, "but I do think it's going to appeal only to one particular section of the community" – what he calls "a middle-class cultural elite".
"The church is focusing on following Jesus Christ, and that cuts across cultures and across communities," he adds."

I means that people with a certain level of financial / social security and above average intelligence / education are not the church's target market.

Much better to target the sick, poor and ignorant.

Nuff said!

No

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
04-02-2013, 06:45 AM
So you think it wont pan out, DLJ?

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
04-02-2013, 06:59 AM
(04-02-2013 06:45 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  So you think it wont pan out, DLJ?

I have mixed feelings.

I've read Alain de Botton's ideas which are essentially: "if you can't beat them, join them".

I've read some of the reactions to these ideas (from Dawkins, Grayling etc. (I think)) which are pretty much along the lines of your comment, above.

I agree, though that secular society has not been creative enough in providing religion-replacement therapies.

Maybe it's happening slowly with e.g. sites like TTA catering for the human need for community.

But the link shows a new twist... if all the churches start turning into comedy clubs +, I think I'd go along. I wouldn't go as far as giving them 10% of my income.

04-02-2013, 07:04 AM
What would atheists be without religious people.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
04-02-2013, 07:07 AM
(04-02-2013 07:04 AM)bemore Wrote:  What would atheists be without religious people.

Without religious people, we would still be atheists but we would have no one to argue with.

Weeping

04-02-2013, 04:23 PM
(04-02-2013 07:04 AM)bemore Wrote:  What would atheists be without religious people.

Part of a much more advanced, space-faring civilization with a bright future?