The Atheist Conservative...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-05-2017, 09:03 PM
RE: The Atheist Conservative...
(22-05-2017 02:16 PM)Rockblossom Wrote:  
(22-05-2017 02:04 PM)abaris Wrote:  What's that when it's at home?
Laugh out load

This:
The Atheist Conservative

I don't follow it, being a Centrist/Middle-of-the-Road/Both-Ends-of-the-Spectrum-are-Nutjobs type, but it does point out that religion and right-leaning political thought are not in lockstep. You CAN have one without the other.

I don't believe it's fair to assume that both sides are equally crazy. A crazy liberal is still saner than what passes for mainstream conservatism in Trumplandia.

No
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like neurotibotical's post
24-05-2017, 03:53 AM (This post was last modified: 24-05-2017 04:00 AM by GenesisNemesis.)
What's the point of being conservative? The world is changing. Deal with it. Having an ideology that's fundamentally resistant to change is nonsensical.

[+] 4 users Like GenesisNemesis's post
24-05-2017, 05:15 AM
Conservatism is not just about maintaining the status quo. It's a set of principles and beliefs of a socio-political nature that includes maintaining several of the "traditional" values society has established because one of the things a conservative mindset tends to value is social stability-- if it's stupid but it works, it isn't stupid.

If one really wants to understand why many atheists still stick to conservatism despite its far-right-shifted nature in the USA and its association with radical Christian fundamentalism, you would do well to read The Righteous Mind: Why Good People are Divided by Politics and Religion, by Jonathan Haidt, which is really more about the conservative brain versus the liberal brain. Definitely worth a read. It helped me a great deal in understanding the set of things one group values over the other group, and why it often leaves the opposite group thinking that their "opponents" are immoral/idiotic/valueless.

He also gives a couple of pretty good lectures on the subject, the videos for which are linked at the bottom of the website I gave, above.

Each of the conservatives who comes to TTA seems to think they're the only one on the forum. I suspect it must be a bit lonely, feeling like you've already isolated yourself from the mainstream culture and value-set by declaring your atheism (even to yourself), only to realize that most of the people who share *that* value tend to be liberal-minded. However, the good news is that you're not alone. There are plenty of conservatives here.

(I'm not one of them.)

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 2 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
24-05-2017, 05:36 AM
(22-05-2017 01:44 PM)Jeanne Wrote:  I am not looking for a fight.

I am just wondering if there are any here who read "The Atheist Conservative" as I try to do once a week or more?

And...if so, would any care to discuss any articles they find of interest?

Did I mention that I am not looking for a fight...

-Jeanne

There is absolutely nothing conservative about conservatives. It is all about selfishness and exploitation and hording. Conservation is realizing there is more than just you using things.

I have no value for "f u I got mine" and could care less if that person is an atheist or theist. Our global private sector cannot continue to pollute and exploit. Our global private sector would do far better by moving way from investing in war and old pollution technology, and move to PROVIDING.

I am not against the private sector, I am against abuse of power. I am horrified as rich as this planet is that 62 billionaires have the combined wealth of 3 billion humans.

I am not looking for a fight either, but nope, the economic right is not right.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Brian37's post
24-05-2017, 05:42 AM
Welcome back, Brian. Smile

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
24-05-2017, 07:40 AM
(24-05-2017 05:15 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Conservatism is not just about maintaining the status quo. It's a set of principles and beliefs of a socio-political nature that includes maintaining several of the "traditional" values society has established because one of the things a conservative mindset tends to value is social stability-- if it's stupid but it works, it isn't stupid.

If one really wants to understand why many atheists still stick to conservatism despite its far-right-shifted nature in the USA and its association with radical Christian fundamentalism, you would do well to read The Righteous Mind: Why Good People are Divided by Politics and Religion, by Jonathan Haidt, which is really more about the conservative brain versus the liberal brain. Definitely worth a read. It helped me a great deal in understanding the set of things one group values over the other group, and why it often leaves the opposite group thinking that their "opponents" are immoral/idiotic/valueless.

He also gives a couple of pretty good lectures on the subject, the videos for which are linked at the bottom of the website I gave, above.

Each of the conservatives who comes to TTA seems to think they're the only one on the forum. I suspect it must be a bit lonely, feeling like you've already isolated yourself from the mainstream culture and value-set by declaring your atheism (even to yourself), only to realize that most of the people who share *that* value tend to be liberal-minded. However, the good news is that you're not alone. There are plenty of conservatives here.

(I'm not one of them.)

The thing is I have never seen a conservative who has a reasonable opinion on anything except one or two issues, and more often than not, if they're not religious they still have an "every man for himself" mentality.

[+] 1 user Likes GenesisNemesis's post
24-05-2017, 08:25 AM
There are a few articles on that site that I would consider pro-atheist. But there is an unmistakable whiff of Breitbart, alt-right nativism. I guess it's for atheists who value these things. Nothing surprising given that we already know atheists come in all shades.

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg
[+] 2 users Like tomilay's post
24-05-2017, 08:33 AM
(24-05-2017 03:53 AM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  What's the point of being conservative? The world is changing. Deal with it. Having an ideology that's fundamentally resistant to change is nonsensical.

In their mind, it was always better before. Even if they are not willing to put a specific date on it - I always suspect it's around that Jim Crow period. That is why Trump won them over with promises of taking us back to those days.

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg
[+] 1 user Likes tomilay's post
24-05-2017, 08:35 AM
A little off topic but a lot of people don't know that George Wills, the conservative columnist, is an atheist. When he happened to mentioned this in an interview, all of a sudden the religious right attacked him and threatened him with eternity in hell. Ya know.....the usual stuff. Rolleyes Prior to that, the conservative religious crowd thought he was an alright guy, the bees-knees, a good egg, a fine upstanding American. Funny how not believing in an imaginary character from an old book completely alters the way people view you.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 4 users Like dancefortwo's post
24-05-2017, 09:27 AM
At least in terms of the social agenda I can imagine it deflates rather quickly without a religious buttress system to hold it up. If not for religion why oppose gay marriage, abortion, assisted suicide, the teaching of evolution, etc? I'd be curious to hear an argument against these societal concepts that isn't rooted in religion.

I have some conservative atheist friends in the real world, but they're more fiscal conservatives and pro states' rights. They tend to take a more progressive view on social issues in general. Most of my conservative friends see the roping-in of the bible thumpers as the intellectual ruination of their movement. They brought the numbers and the political capital but they ruined the platform and dumbed-down the discourse.
[+] 3 users Like Mr. Boston's post