The Atheist Conservative...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-05-2017, 10:03 AM
RE: The Atheist Conservative...
(23-05-2017 09:03 PM)mikep987654321 Wrote:  
(22-05-2017 02:16 PM)Rockblossom Wrote:  I don't follow it, being a Centrist/Middle-of-the-Road/Both-Ends-of-the-Spectrum-are-Nutjobs type, but it does point out that religion and right-leaning political thought are not in lockstep. You CAN have one without the other.

I don't believe it's fair to assume that both sides are equally crazy. A crazy liberal is still saner than what passes for mainstream conservatism in Trumplandia.

There's a truism about political thought: The people who are close to you and your political leanings are the sane ones, and the ones farthest from you are the "nutjobs." And that's mostly true no matter who you are (myself included), and how rational you believe yourself to be.

You can guess how far left someone is politically, not because they think the right-leaners are nuts, but by how big a group of the right-leaners are considered crazy. Just the Al-Right and the Tea Party? Then you are probably somewhat center-left. Everyone registered as a Republican? Then likely you are further left. The Conservatives are a mirror image of the Progressives. That means that those of us who hang around somewhat in the center tend to think the Far Left AND the Far Right are nutty, while most of the somewhat center-leaning Democrats and Republicans are mostly (with an occasional break from reality) sane.

If you want to deal with or try to understand "the other side" - then you need to get inside their thinking and see why they believe their position is the rational one. (And yes, that can be difficult bordering on impossible in some cases. I stopped trying to understand the Alt-Right people, because their thinking makes my brain hurt and I feel like I have IQ points dribbling out my ears. But that's just me. Confused)

I’ll be a story in your head, but that’s okay, because we’re all stories in the end. Just make it a good one, eh? Because it was, you know. It was the best.
The Doctor
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Rockblossom's post
24-05-2017, 11:38 AM
I've read through some of The Atheist Conservative (TAC) articles and, well, I can't say I'm terribly impressed.

The writing is at a 6-grade level; the thinking that goes on in behind the writing is, at best, early high-school. Simple answers to complex problems are the norm. They're trying very, very hard to whip up discontent and get a rise out of shallow thinkers but there's little in the realm of actual thought about solutions.

It's just more of the same. The site has all the hallmarks of someone who really doesn't care what they write as long as they make a big noise. The sense I get is that if left-leaning blogs were all the rage, then the writer(s) of TAC would be writing left-leaning diatribes about the evils of conservatism.

It's dull and uninteresting.
[+] 2 users Like Heath_Tierney's post
25-05-2017, 04:53 PM
(24-05-2017 05:15 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Each of the conservatives who comes to TTA seems to think they're the only one on the forum. I suspect it must be a bit lonely, feeling like you've already isolated yourself from the mainstream culture and value-set by declaring your atheism (even to yourself), only to realize that most of the people who share *that* value tend to be liberal-minded. However, the good news is that you're not alone. There are plenty of conservatives here.

(I'm not one of them.)

Interesting. I noticed something similar in the Amazon atheist forum. I finally started a thread called "atheist conservatives", just to see who would show up. Low and behold, several did.

I'm not a conservative, either, but I enjoy interacting with those of different viewpoints.

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
[+] 1 user Likes Dr H's post
25-05-2017, 04:57 PM
(24-05-2017 10:03 AM)Rockblossom Wrote:  There's a truism about political thought: The people who are close to you and your political leanings are the sane ones, and the ones farthest from you are the "nutjobs."

Oh, hell no. All anarchists are loons, including me. Big Grin

--
Dr H

[+] 1 user Likes Dr H's post
25-05-2017, 05:01 PM
(24-05-2017 11:38 AM)Heath_Tierney Wrote:  Simple answers to complex problems are the norm.

Yes, but I see that from the left, as well.
At least in America, and I don't think that has as much to do with being conservative or liberal as it does with being American.
Americans love the "quick fix" -- even where is no such thing.

--
Dr H

[+] 2 users Like Dr H's post
25-05-2017, 05:05 PM
(24-05-2017 08:25 AM)tomilay Wrote:  There are a few articles on that site that I would consider pro-atheist. But there is an unmistakable whiff of Breitbart, alt-right nativism. I guess it's for atheists who value these things. Nothing surprising given that we already know atheists come in all shades.

This is also why I think it IS important for theists to see disagreements and even verbal fights between those shades, if the theist sees that then they cannot claim we are all the same.

We are not all the same. We exist in all classes and have different degrees of educations, and can have also different political and economic views. We come in all skin tones worldwide and have left all the world's religions.

The only good argument that can be made about atheists, sometime we really are like herding cats.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Brian37's post
25-05-2017, 05:59 PM
(24-05-2017 10:03 AM)Rockblossom Wrote:  There's a truism about political thought: The people who are close to you and your political leanings are the sane ones, and the ones farthest from you are the "nutjobs."

Your critique is certainly true about how much patience I'm likely to have with other political postures. However, I look at different politics as indicative of different priorities. That takes a lot of emotions out of the equation.
[+] 1 user Likes Thoreauvian's post
26-05-2017, 09:42 AM
(25-05-2017 05:01 PM)Dr H Wrote:  
(24-05-2017 11:38 AM)Heath_Tierney Wrote:  Simple answers to complex problems are the norm.

Yes, but I see that from the left, as well.
At least in America, and I don't think that has as much to do with being conservative or liberal as it does with being American.
Americans love the "quick fix" -- even where is no such thing.

I completely agree, and if the discussion were about a leftist website I'd be pointing that out as well.
26-05-2017, 04:23 PM
(26-05-2017 09:42 AM)Heath_Tierney Wrote:  I completely agree, and if the discussion were about a leftist website I'd be pointing that out as well.

Acknowledged. Yes

--
Dr H