The Atheist Delusion (new Christian movie)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-11-2016, 09:06 AM
RE: The Atheist Delusion (new Christian movie)
At work.

Hello! Big Grin

Why should people care about some random web-site?

Much cheers! Thumbsup
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-11-2016, 10:27 AM
(04-11-2016 08:27 AM)dimaniac Wrote:  http://www.bioticregulation.ru/ques.php?nn=21
Quote:From this the rate of evolution can be estimated by the ratio N/T ~ 1-3 species per year.

It has been explained to you that it doesn't work that way. Facepalm

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
04-11-2016, 10:44 AM
No i'm not a math genuis by any means. But saying a 1-3 new species "pops" into exsitance sounds silly.

Current estimate of current species that exist on planet earth is 8.7 million.

The current oldest fossil found is 3.5 million years old.

So if you're an old world creationist. That would mean you believe a god created life 3.8 million years ago( initially with single-celled prokaryotic cells, such as bacteria.). And that since evolution isn't a thing. Every species that exists now has always existed. So the number's should be dropping not increasing. Since we know that life have been going extint in those millions of years.

So if in the position that evolution isn't a thing and things just poped into reality. Then we would be seeing.

8.7mill divide by 3.5mill = 2.5 million

2.5 million new species a year.

Now if you take the young earth creationist position.

Rufflying the same but 6000 years the time frame that would increase exceptional.
8.7mill species / 6000 years = 1416.7 species would need to be appearing out of thin air a year.Even more if you hold the belief that noah's flood happened.

Now i can understand if people discovered 1 - 3 new species a year. Many rain forest is full of new types of frogs, and bugs and such that have yet been discovered. But that dosen't mean they just appeared one day. They may have been there a long time just no human had ever seen them. Longing species has only been done for about 1,000 years. So there is still many that may yet to have been found.

Am I do that math right? It's not my strong suit but to me it's as basic as one can make it.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
04-11-2016, 10:50 AM
(04-11-2016 09:06 AM)Peebothuhul Wrote:  Why should people care about some random web-site?
Can you provide better sources? I couldn't find value of speciation rate on google
04-11-2016, 10:56 AM
At work.

(04-11-2016 10:50 AM)dimaniac Wrote:  
(04-11-2016 09:06 AM)Peebothuhul Wrote:  Why should people care about some random web-site?
Can you provide better sources? I couldn't find value of speciation rate on google

Wait? What?

No, that isn't how it works.

You've posted the "Why is 'X' so." question and people ard asking you for more verificatiin.

I was asking for more than one, seemingly weird, web site is all.

As in a few other places that your comment might be supported/verified.

Myself, as yet, have made no claims.

Edit:

Pardon? 'Value of speciation' ? Consider

Should not the correct/proper term be,

'Rate of speciation'?

Consider
04-11-2016, 10:57 AM
(04-11-2016 10:44 AM)Commonsensei Wrote:  Am I do that math right?
The way i did it:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biodiversity
Quote:More than 99 percent of all species, amounting to over five billion species,[12] that ever lived on Earth are estimated to be extinct.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abiogenesis
Quote: life arising from non-living matter, such as simple organic compounds. It is thought to have occurred on Earth between 3.8 and 4.1 billion years ago
5 billion species/4 billion years = 1 specie/year.
Also most speciation happenned after cambrian explosion so average rate should be much higher.
04-11-2016, 11:01 AM
(04-11-2016 10:57 AM)dimaniac Wrote:  
(04-11-2016 10:44 AM)Commonsensei Wrote:  Am I do that math right?
The way i did it:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biodiversity
Quote:More than 99 percent of all species, amounting to over five billion species,[12] that ever lived on Earth are estimated to be extinct.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abiogenesis
Quote: life arising from non-living matter, such as simple organic compounds. It is thought to have occurred on Earth between 3.8 and 4.1 billion years ago
5 billion species/4 billion years = 1 specie/year.

The singular of 'species' is 'species'.

Quote:Also most speciation happenned after cambrian explosion so average rate should be much higher.

Citation required.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-11-2016, 11:01 AM
At work.

To Dimaniac.

No, again, I am pretty sure speciation happens in a far more complicated and messy fashion than just math estimates.

Consider
04-11-2016, 11:43 AM
(02-10-2016 01:04 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Ray Comfort is an amazingly honest man. He's done wonders for Christianity. All his movies are checkmate, atheists.

Shame on you for trying smear his good name.

You may be right, once you redefine the words, "amazingly", "honest", "wonders" and "checkmate" to your liking.

Oh, I left out "good name".
[+] 1 user Likes kemo boy's post
04-11-2016, 11:57 AM
(04-11-2016 11:43 AM)kemo boy Wrote:  
(02-10-2016 01:04 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Ray Comfort is an amazingly honest man. He's done wonders for Christianity. All his movies are checkmate, atheists.

Shame on you for trying smear his good name.

You may be right, once you redefine the words, "amazingly", "honest", "wonders" and "checkmate" to your liking.

Oh, I left out "good name".

Also, "trying".