The Atheist Experience

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-06-2015, 09:34 AM
The Atheist Experience
Been watching a lot of these clips on YouTube lately. Man they get a lot of morons calling in and I gotta give Matt Dillahunty props for his destruction of their arguments.

He's not perfect but I personally think he's a good model for any aspiring atheist who wants to actively conversate with believers. He's proof that you don't have to be formally educated in a particular area of science, you just have to do your homework.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Fodder_From_The_Truth's post
29-06-2015, 10:06 AM
RE: The Atheist Experience
Honestly, Matt gets pretty cringe-worthy for me every time he interrupts a caller.

It's not that he's wrong, it's not that he isn't the host and doesn't have that right, it's not that he isn't responsible for guiding the show and keeping it under control, it's not even that the callers don't (usually) deserve it. It's that the way he does it lends the show an entire high-tension combative tone that leaves me frazzled just listening to it. I tend to prefer the shows where Matt doesn't host just because the tone is a lot less combative.

This isn't a criticism exactly. It's mostly a taste thing. It's not that it's bad for him to do it, it's that it's bad for me to listen to it. And I agree with Matt on most points, both factual and strategic. It's just the tone I have problems with.
29-06-2015, 10:11 AM
(29-06-2015 09:34 AM)Fodder_From_The_Truth Wrote:  Been watching a lot of these clips on YouTube lately. Man they get a lot of morons calling in and I gotta give Matt Dillahunty props for his destruction of their arguments.

He's not perfect but I personally think he's a good model for any aspiring atheist who wants to actively conversate with believers. He's proof that you don't have to be formally educated in a particular area of science, you just have to do your homework.

I've watched several. Matt has such a quick mind, I'd hate to be on the other side of him in a debate. The other people sitting next to him never quite have the umph that Matt brings to the discussion.

There's one episode in which a woman from Portland OR phones in about morality and at the end of the conversation she screams into the phone and hangs up. It's hilarious! I listened to it twice. Tongue

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
29-06-2015, 10:14 AM
I like the tone is why I like it the most. In my short time viewing it, the callers frequently attempt to interrupt or talk over him or his co-host, so I feel no pity for them when he does it to them.

I like the combative nature. In my experience most Christians are arrogant and pushy and I like seeing them get back what they give out while getting owned.
[+] 1 user Likes Fodder_From_The_Truth's post
29-06-2015, 10:20 AM
(29-06-2015 10:11 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  The other people sitting next to him never quite have the umph that Matt brings to the discussion.

That's why I like the Matt/Tracy combination and, to a somewhat lesser extent, Matt/Jen. They are able to balance him much better than most of the other co-hosts.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
29-06-2015, 10:20 AM
I cannot stand Matt. He's been an atheist for what, 3 weeks? Spare me!

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
29-06-2015, 10:22 AM
I agree. I think it's perfect the way he does it. He realizes you have to be blunt and honest with them to get across. His mind works just like a flowchart. It's amazing to watch the conversations.

Remember, just because you want something to be true, doesn't make it true. Yes, even if you have faith.
29-06-2015, 10:23 AM
(29-06-2015 10:14 AM)Fodder_From_The_Truth Wrote:  I like the tone is why I like it the most. In my short time viewing it, the callers frequently attempt to interrupt or talk over him or his co-host, so I feel no pity for them when he does it to them.

I like the combative nature. In my experience most Christians are arrogant and pushy and I like seeing them get back what they give out while getting owned.

Oh, sure. The callers often deserve it and Christianity in general is past due for a dose of its own medicine. I'm just cringing because people are fighting and voices are raised. Some people like that. I don't. Like I said, it's a taste thing.
29-06-2015, 10:24 AM
One of the points he made about Satan and free will was good, and I'd never heard it before.
29-06-2015, 10:27 AM
(29-06-2015 10:23 AM)Reltzik Wrote:  
(29-06-2015 10:14 AM)Fodder_From_The_Truth Wrote:  I like the tone is why I like it the most. In my short time viewing it, the callers frequently attempt to interrupt or talk over him or his co-host, so I feel no pity for them when he does it to them.

Oh, sure. The callers often deserve it and Christianity in general is past due for a dose of its own medicine. I'm just cringing because people are fighting and voices are raised. Some people like that. I don't. Like I said, it's a taste thing.

Different strokes my friend.

My brain seems to work better under stress so I like the disdain and anger.