The Atheist Experience Show

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-10-2011, 10:26 AM
The Atheist Experience Show
http://www.atheist-experience.com/

I watch this show every Sunday and was wondering if anyone else does. If you do this will prompt a question of mine that is going to drive me insane. Does anyone else want to slam their face into the screen when they accept calls from people who use the filler "um" every two fucking seconds and talk incredibly slow? Along with this their entire question or argument is completely unlettered or was spontaneous.

FFS it is so annoying. The show needs a format that every caller has to prepare their quesitons/arguments on and use it as structure during the call if they can't possible do it themselves.

"We Humans are capable of greatness." -Carl Sagan
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-10-2011, 11:20 AM
RE: The Atheist Experience Show
I have watched a few episodes myself and have subscribed to them on youtube do to my forgetful memory.
I don't mind watching it, but it's not like the format TTA has. It's definitely more attack orientated than discussion based. The guys are typically really intelligent people, though a couple of the guest hosts haven't been all that great. Also I have a hard time with the callers as well, not so much because they are stumblers, and have a hard time eking out a question (though that is quite annoying) but because they all seem very under educated.
Which is probably why the show comes across to me as more of an attack than a discussion, I mean the hosts especially Matt are incredibly well informed on their bible, so much so that the bible thumpers who call in are dwarfed in knowledge. How do you discuss a topic when one of the participants has little to no real knowledge of it? I know more bible related information than most of the callers.

Which of course says a lot about the majority of religious folks. Doesn't it? Still I'd love to see someone who knows their shit call into that show, especially if they like you stated, had a question planned ahead of time. It's called preparation people. It also bugs me wen people are waiting in line for a while and then they get up to the front and have no idea what they want. GET OUT OF LINE. RARGH.
I know what I want. Triple triple mother fuckers, no cream, use milk. Here's my money, next.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
17-10-2011, 12:03 PM
(17-10-2011 11:20 AM)lucradis Wrote:  I have watched a few episodes myself and have subscribed to them on youtube do to my forgetful memory.
I don't mind watching it, but it's not like the format TTA has. It's definitely more attack orientated than discussion based. The guys are typically really intelligent people, though a couple of the guest hosts haven't been all that great. Also I have a hard time with the callers as well, not so much because they are stumblers, and have a hard time eking out a question (though that is quite annoying) but because they all seem very under educated.
Which is probably why the show comes across to me as more of an attack than a discussion, I mean the hosts especially Matt are incredibly well informed on their bible, so much so that the bible thumpers who call in are dwarfed in knowledge. How do you discuss a topic when one of the participants has little to no real knowledge of it? I know more bible related information than most of the callers.

Which of course says a lot about the majority of religious folks. Doesn't it? Still I'd love to see someone who knows their shit call into that show, especially if they like you stated, had a question planned ahead of time. It's called preparation people. It also bugs me wen people are waiting in line for a while and then they get up to the front and have no idea what they want. GET OUT OF LINE. RARGH.
I know what I want. Triple triple mother fuckers, no cream, use milk. Here's my money, next.
The callers are just average people, and the average person is religious and dumb.
18-10-2011, 09:24 AM
Big fan of the show. I listen to the audio regularly, and the "ummmms" do get old. This show was pretty pivotal in my deconversion and I have a lot of respect for the hosts, particularly Matt and Tracie - Matt for his exhaustive knowledge and Tracie for her ability to cut through bullshit like a hot knife through butter.

You have to realize the show is a public access tv show based out of Austin, Texas, and most of the theist callers they get are pretty average theists. When the number one reason given for believing in god is "lookit the trees!" I don't think you can expect a whole lot. I'm surrounded by people like that though, and find it to be pretty typical. The show was started to give people a voice and show the perspective of non believers, and is now getting very popular and the organization is doing a lot to promote freethought, discussion, and encouraging atheists to be "out" (if they are comfortable in doing so).

Our brains deceive us on a regular basis, so we have to find ways to fight back.
[+] 1 user Likes TheSixthGlass's post
18-10-2011, 07:34 PM
Same here, I podcast it every week. They have another show called The Non-Prophets where they discuss current events rather than take calls. It is also aimed at other atheists rather than the general public.

“There is no sin except stupidity.” Oscar Wilde
22-10-2011, 12:04 AM
I'm definitely a fan, been listening for nearly 2 years now. I have all of 2010/11's shows to date in podcast form =D
EDIT: Damn NPR, they haven't made an episode in weeks. I'm resorting to repeats! Repeats I tell you!!!

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo

"Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do." - Voltaire
22-10-2011, 07:55 PM
I became a fan of the show ever since I saw the video from the Oklahoma Freethought Convention posted by TheThinkingAtheist.

I wish they'd stop using insulting the people who call in, though. I referred a Christian friend to the show and they said the hosts weren't very fair. I think that if I were a Christian I'd feel the same way. They regularly make demands for evidence in cases where evidence simply can't be presented. I personally wrote in to remind Matt that he could make atheist arguments without insulting his guests, and he demanded evidence that insults are hurtful, contrary to the golden rule, and not beneficial to a person's 'well-being'. "Show me the evidence" is just their verbal hiccup at this point.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
03-01-2012, 10:46 PM
I agree with you Starcash. I really do enjoy them...sometimes. I listened to a recent show and they spent a good portion of it arguing about arguing. I prefer to listen to the show they do on Sundays called "The Non-Prophets." They don't take phone calls and instead they talk about recent events and news articles. It seems to be at a point with the "Atheist Experience" show that even other atheist callers are hard to listen to.

Having said that, this show helped me to become more comfortable as a an atheist and I liked listening to the debates at one time. And looking up their podcasts led me to TTA too.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post