The "Atheist Religion"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-09-2010, 04:37 PM
The "Atheist Religion"
Ok I'm not sure if I picked the right title, but this is about those atheists who call any atheist who argues with theists a "Fundamentalist whose making moderate Atheists look bad" as though atheist is a religion.

This is something I meet regularly on a forum called the Total War Centre where everyone apologized before offering advise on improvements, comes out with the "Arguing on the internet is gay" 13 year old that can't debate stuff at every turn and do their best to never offend anyone. Not sure if this is very widespread.
Any advice?

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-09-2010, 08:53 PM
RE: The "Atheist Religion"
Yes.

Spend less time on the internet.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
09-09-2010, 09:49 PM
But what else am I to do in the times when nothing else is happening Tongue

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
09-09-2010, 10:24 PM
Learn to play a musical instrument, take a walk in the park, go bowling, canoeing, skating, hang gliding, join a sports league, yadda, yadda, yadda. Don't let the computer become a bad habit. That will make your world shrink.
09-09-2010, 10:51 PM

(09-09-2010 04:37 PM)Cetaceaphile Wrote:  Ok I'm not sure if I picked the right title, but this is about those atheists who call any atheist who argues with theists a "Fundamentalist whose making moderate Atheists look bad" as though atheist is a religion.

This is something I meet regularly on a forum called the Total War Centre where everyone apologized before offering advise on improvements, comes out with the "Arguing on the internet is gay" 13 year old that can't debate stuff at every turn and do their best to never offend anyone. Not sure if this is very widespread.
Any advice?

I'm not sure I can give much advice...whether it be on the internet or in real life...when I have an argument with a christian/creationist it always feels like I'm arguing with a 13 year old that can't debate.
Quote this message in a reply
10-09-2010, 06:52 AM

Argument is fine. It depends what your intent is. Someone posted a link to a great seminar type thing where some notable person in the atheistic community said "Don't be a dick." And I think as long as you do that you are fine. I can certainly testify to the fact that I have been dicks to theists in the past, but I have stopped that practice. Our goal is to make people stop believing in stupid things. You don't get people to take your side by insulting them.

I have literally reduced people to absolute speechlessness during argument about this and they still don't give up believing what they do. Note that this is a peaceful argument. I'm not yelling at them, just refuting their points until they have no more to raise. The most you can do is make people seriously question their beliefs. The final step they must take themselves.

However, there are those are beyond a change in mindset. These are the people that I feel free to insult/argue more aggressively with.

And as for the original statement that arguing with theists making atheism seem like a religion, that has no real logical basis, so you are right- it definitely comes out of the mouth of an unenlightened 13 year old who is too weak to make his own arguments so he discards the usefulness of making them in the first place.
10-09-2010, 09:18 AM

I've found that in most direct confrontations, neither side is very eager to admit they've lost an argument. Nevertheless, you may find that their discourse in the future indicates they actually conceded to you - it's just personal pride that prevented them from saying you'd convinced them. I know this because I've done similar things myself - refusing to concede but later adopting the very arguments of my opponent. I try now to be more willing to make an open, free concession, but I don't ever expect it in an argument.

If you can keep the discourse civil, without falling back on name-calling and insults, you may find you've convinced people only much later. On the other hand, when you choose to let the discourse lose its civility, then all you have is a shouting contest, which typically convinces no one. We atheists here pride ourselves in being "thinking atheists" so we should try to maintain a civil discourse with theists whenever possible. We may wind up helping many more people to see the absurdity of their theism than we realize (or that they're willing to admit).
10-09-2010, 04:56 PM (This post was last modified: 10-09-2010 05:01 PM by Cetaceaphile.)
I never actually said anything deliberately offensive first. I actually just quoted the essay that was posted on this forum recently, the 10 reasons one.

I even said that it wasn't my essay, suddenly I was pounced on and spammed by the "OMFG you offended my religion" and the "OMFG you are not a real atheist because we atheists don't argue about it" people. Was pretty funny, still I'm not sure why people here took it as "I spend all my time online" xD

Edit: There was an odd thing though. While the people on the thread were calling me all sorts of names and throwing all sorts of weird reasoning at me I was getting lots of anonymous support in the form of reputation points. :\

(09-09-2010 10:24 PM)No J. Wrote:  Learn to play a musical instrument, take a walk in the park, go bowling, canoeing, skating, hang gliding, join a sports league, yadda, yadda, yadda. Don't let the computer become a bad habit. That will make your world shrink.
I have a sword and armour I like to play with, that count? Big Grin

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
10-09-2010, 07:07 PM
Quote:Was pretty funny, still I'm not sure why people here took it as "I spend all my time online" xD

That was my (feeble it would seem) attempt at a joke since this was the 2nd on-line argument you had mentioned. An emoticon would probably have highlighted the fact that it was meant as a joke. Or, equally plausible, perhaps I'm just the Tracy Morgan of TTA.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
10-09-2010, 07:17 PM
Lol ok xD Maybe I missed a joke signal, I was pretty tired. Also you should know I do lots of online debates. Thats how the long winter evenings just fly by. At the moment though, the only debate I'm in is the treatment of Sapient species and getting forced breeding banned from seaworld and other similar places. (thats like my life goal xDD)

Anyways ... Ya. Off topic :3

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.