The Atheist's Afterlife: can resurrection happen without magic?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-10-2015, 10:56 PM
The Atheist's Afterlife: can resurrection happen without magic?
So there's this theory that all of time actually happens at once, the passage of time is an illusion, and the past still exists. If so, people don't cease to exist when they die, they're just stuck in the past. The fact that someone existed will always be true.

If the past still exists, there could be a way to access it. Time travel, inter-dimensional travel, and quantum mechanics are a few ideas people have tossed around. But all of this is like a caveman trying to work out how to get to the moon. If humanity doesn't wipe itself out and continues to advance technologically, 5 billion years before the death of the universe is a lot of time to learn new tricks.

We live our lives in a brief moment of time, so brief that everything pretty much stays the same and we don't expect much extraordinary to happen. While the idea of time travelers or something resurrecting me in the future may seem extraordinary, my incredulity is based on the brief mundane experience I've had so far. I'm instinctively thinking about it wrong. With 5 billion years ahead, even the extraordinary becomes probable. A lot more will happen in the future than has happened in my lifetime, or even in the history of humanity. Anything even remotely possible will probably happen.

Now here's the thought that's robbing me of sleep: if resurrection is ever made possible at any point during the unfathomable amount of time the universe will exist after me, I'll know it the moment I die. And if 5 billion years of science is trying to find a way to bring us back from the dead, I wouldn't bet against it.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes FractalHeretic's post
04-10-2015, 11:09 PM
RE: The Atheist's Afterlife: can resurrection happen without magic?
Welcome to TTA.

Question: How do you know you have not already been resurrected?

Wink

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
05-10-2015, 04:01 AM
That's horrible. Thanks pal. Dodgy

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-10-2015, 04:08 AM
(04-10-2015 10:56 PM)FractalHeretic Wrote:  Now here's the thought that's robbing me of sleep: if resurrection is ever made possible at any point during the unfathomable amount of time the universe will exist after me, I'll know it the moment I die. And if 5 billion years of science is trying to find a way to bring us back from the dead, I wouldn't bet against it.

If you have this capability, and can go back and interact with or meddle with the past (without creating paradoxes), why resurrect any one person? Why not alter the entire course of humanity?

Also, assuming that all of time 'exists' simultaneously, including the 5 billion years forward, the very fact that we haven't seen this type of intervention is a pretty good indication that this simply isn't how our universe operates; or we at least don't live long enough to figure it out.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
05-10-2015, 05:04 AM
Quantum woo, huh??

It's still woo....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
05-10-2015, 07:01 AM
(05-10-2015 04:08 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Also, assuming that all of time 'exists' simultaneously, including the 5 billion years forward, the very fact that we haven't seen this type of intervention is a pretty good indication that this simply isn't how our universe operates; or we at least don't live long enough to figure it out.

I think it was Stephen Hawking who said time travel probably isn't possible, because if it was we'd be inundated with tourists from the future. On the other hand, maybe people in the future are actually responsible and know of a good reason not to disrupt the timeline. Or maybe the past is like read-only data. In that case, they couldn't go back and change anything or physically extract anyone, but they could make a copy. Then there's the philosophical question of whether or not that copy would really be you. I reckon it would be.
05-10-2015, 07:17 AM
(05-10-2015 07:01 AM)FractalHeretic Wrote:  
(05-10-2015 04:08 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Also, assuming that all of time 'exists' simultaneously, including the 5 billion years forward, the very fact that we haven't seen this type of intervention is a pretty good indication that this simply isn't how our universe operates; or we at least don't live long enough to figure it out.

I think it was Stephen Hawking who said time travel probably isn't possible, because if it was we'd be inundated with tourists from the future. On the other hand, maybe people in the future are actually responsible and know of a good reason not to disrupt the timeline. Or maybe the past is like read-only data. In that case, they couldn't go back and change anything or physically extract anyone, but they could make a copy. Then there's the philosophical question of whether or not that copy would really be you. I reckon it would be.

Even if you could make a copy, if you cannot in any way interact with it, what's the point? How is your unchanging past any different, any more or less like you, if you make a copy which is also unchanging?

We can do this already. Go video tape someone, then make a copy of that recording. Both copies are a record of that person during that time, neither is more or less that person, but also neither have any hold on the present or future because you cannot use either to actually alter the past.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
05-10-2015, 08:02 AM
(04-10-2015 10:56 PM)FractalHeretic Wrote:  So there's this theory that all of time actually happens at once, the passage of time is an illusion, and the past still exists. If so, people don't cease to exist when they die, they're just stuck in the past. The fact that someone existed will always be true.

If the past still exists, there could be a way to access it. Time travel, inter-dimensional travel, and quantum mechanics are a few ideas people have tossed around. But all of this is like a caveman trying to work out how to get to the moon. If humanity doesn't wipe itself out and continues to advance technologically, 5 billion years before the death of the universe is a lot of time to learn new tricks.

We live our lives in a brief moment of time, so brief that everything pretty much stays the same and we don't expect much extraordinary to happen. While the idea of time travelers or something resurrecting me in the future may seem extraordinary, my incredulity is based on the brief mundane experience I've had so far. I'm instinctively thinking about it wrong. With 5 billion years ahead, even the extraordinary becomes probable. A lot more will happen in the future than has happened in my lifetime, or even in the history of humanity. Anything even remotely possible will probably happen.

Now here's the thought that's robbing me of sleep: if resurrection is ever made possible at any point during the unfathomable amount of time the universe will exist after me, I'll know it the moment I die. And if 5 billion years of science is trying to find a way to bring us back from the dead, I wouldn't bet against it.

Very interesting.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/physics/fab...abric-time
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/physics/fab...osmos.html

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post
05-10-2015, 08:10 AM
Reminds me of this cat -

- I stole his book from the library. Blush

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
05-10-2015, 09:00 AM
Resurrection implies a continuity of existence which isn't possible. Recreation of a sort is not strictly excluded. Any simulation is possible if you have infinite computing power. So I guess there's that option.

... this is my signature!
[+] 3 users Like cjlr's post