The "Atheists Just Hate God Argument"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-02-2015, 11:16 PM
The "Atheists Just Hate God Argument"
The Atheists just hate god argument completely debunked.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHaWwYqpoy0
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-02-2015, 08:11 AM
RE: The "Atheists Just Hate God Argument"
One example of completely annoying theist arguments... But nothing beat the "You can't explain where the universe came from"

"A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything" - Friedrich Nietzsche
15-02-2015, 08:13 AM
I just don't have the energy or desire to rile myself up enough to hate someone who doesn't exist.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 3 users Like Anjele's post
15-02-2015, 08:18 AM
no I don't hate god, that would be silly. I'm not mad at god for the same reason. I'm not even mad at the people who preached god to me, they were just doing what they thought was best for me. They are human, and they were wrong.
[+] 1 user Likes natachan's post
15-02-2015, 08:54 AM
A lot of these tropes have a kernel of truth behind them. I like to acknowledge that and get the theist to agree that it's reasonable before turning it around on them.

In this case I'd say "well, I don't believe in any gods, but I would hate certain gods if they did exist. Zeus raped people. That's deplorable. I think I'd have to hate Zeus if he existed." That kind of thing. Ask if they agree. They probably would. Then, "YHWH killed David's son, basically tortured him to death, just to teach David a lesson. I'd have to hate YHWH if he existed." Then there will be excuses. Engage those excuses for awhile, but every now and again take a step back and point out what they're doing. "You know you're making excuses for someone torturing a baby to death, right? Do you feel good about that?"

I'm just thinking out loud.
[+] 5 users Like KnowtheSilence's post
15-02-2015, 09:03 AM
I don't hate god. That cheap bitch tooth fairy on the other hand has crossed me for the last time....... my teeth were worth WAY more then a quarter.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 3 users Like The Organic Chemist's post
15-02-2015, 11:53 AM
Bumper sticker seen on atheist's car ---

Jesus Loves You!!!!!!
the rest of us think you're a dick

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
15-02-2015, 03:34 PM
I read a bumper sticker once that said...
"Jesus was my co-pilot, then the plane crashed in the mountains and I had to eat him."

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 3 users Like Rahn127's post
15-02-2015, 05:32 PM
The "atheists hate god" trope is based on a number of misconceptions. Arguably the most fundamental one is that the theist loves god, therefore, an atheist must hate him. This is based on on the notion that hatred is the opposite of love. In point of fact, hatred is nothing more than disappointed love. The true opposite of love is indifference, and THAT is what atheists are toward god.

To the point of the "disappointed love" thing, that is what some theists are like when they first become unbelievers or at least major doubters, and I suppose that seeing the backside of a departing brother or sister in the faith is what most theists have in terms of a first hand experience with unbelief, and this is probably in part where the "atheists just hate god" notion comes from. That, and it's the only explanation they can think of for why THEY would ever turn on god, who, remember, they really believe exists -- and therefore believe can really have his feelings hurt. This is also the source of "atheists are just angry at god". Also in play is the taboo against disbelief in general.

I can confirm from my own experience that there was some disappointment / anger / hatred types of abreactions going on in the early stages of my deconversion, but once I realized I was batting at shadows the silliness of that became self-evident. As the habit of thinking of god as real faded, so did any anger.

In regards to this I very much enjoyed this scene in the otherwise forgettable movie Patch Adams. Just having lost the one great love of his life, our hero stands on a cliff, ready to End It All. Suddenly he pauses, looks up at the sky, and with utter contempt, says to god, "No. You're not worth it". -- and steps back from the precipice. I think this is the first realization of the person losing their faith ... they may still think god exists, but if he does, he's clearly some sort of sadist who can't even live up to human standards of decency and compassion. But that is not the same thing as a person who has actually lost belief, that is just phase one.
[+] 1 user Likes mordant's post
15-02-2015, 09:26 PM
In line with, but not as aggravating as "atheists know God exists but lie and say we don't".

Makes me want to physically harm a apologist.