The Athiest "SPECIAL" creation story.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
19-12-2014, 03:27 PM
RE: The Athiest "SPECIAL" creation story.
(19-12-2014 02:54 PM)dirtstar Wrote:  What the fuck is going on? Gasp Big Grin j/k

Dawkins may or may not have intended on explicitly stating that intelligent life is most likely to be found outside of our lush planet surroundings but who cares? He was wrong. We still cannot verify any intelligent life exists here on earth. Are we intelligent or are we hairless apes? Debatable. Just because we can harness the power of the sun does not make us intelligent especially when comparing that to star travelers and/or time travelers. We've had ONE Einstein. Imagine a species of MILLIONS of Einsteins. NDT hit the nail on the head with his speech about how he doubts any intelligent species would visit earth and I'd add unless they were hell bent on destruction. They would only need a small snipit of data to realize that we are very much still tree dwelling primates who have only recently begun to develop real intellect. Intelligent life elsewhere in the Cosmos? Of course. There's billions of galaxies with billions of suns in one of potential billions of universes.

And was it not Hawking that said sending a man made device into deep space with directions on how to find planet earth was a VERY bad idea? That statement alone signifies his belief that REAL intelligence might be out there lurking and dumb asses like us certainly don't need to find them or help them find us.

Dawkins was actually just giving his best answer to explain any kind of intelligent design other than the God theory. When you think about it, Dawkins actually gave the ONLY possible alternative, not that he actually accepts his alternative.

Mind you, Dawkins' alternative beats the ever loving fuck out of the God theory, even as implausible as it is.

Having problems with your computer? Visit our Free Tech Support thread for help!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-12-2014, 01:20 PM
(17-12-2014 06:59 PM)The Drake Wrote:  This thread has been hijacked by Q. Sadcryface2 Where is Jean Luc when I need him ? So back to my original question.

Q, if evidence (real, tangible, provable, repeatable) presented itself that we were created/designed by another intelligence other than some magical, unfathomable being in the sky, could you accept that ?

Yes, I would. That would be the only logical possibility for me.

As a matter of fact, in a sense, I've already done so. I believe in evolution but came to understand the Bible prophecies showed Jesus Christ to be valid/true and the Creator. It was a big paradigm shift for me. I have been accused at TTA of being credulous or gullible but I made a careful decision after pondering the issues and evidence (as well as praying).

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-01-2015, 02:21 PM
(22-12-2014 01:20 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(17-12-2014 06:59 PM)The Drake Wrote:  This thread has been hijacked by Q. Sadcryface2 Where is Jean Luc when I need him ? So back to my original question.

Q, if evidence (real, tangible, provable, repeatable) presented itself that we were created/designed by another intelligence other than some magical, unfathomable being in the sky, could you accept that ?

As a matter of fact, in a sense, I've already done so. I believe in evolution but came to understand the Bible prophecies showed Jesus Christ to be valid/true and the Creator. It was a big paradigm shift for me. I have been accused at TTA of being credulous or gullible but I made a careful decision after pondering the issues and evidence (as well as praying).

Honestly, the "prophecies" of a bronze age religion and the cult that arose from it hold no sway over me. I don't know what your evidence is. Perhaps you can enlighten me.

The second mouse gets the cheese.
03-01-2015, 02:54 PM
(22-12-2014 01:20 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  

Lots of religions have prophecies that supposedly come true. It's all very ambiguous and vague though. Since the gospels were written after Jesus died it made it a whole hell of a lot easier to write them in a way so the prophecies fit the story. Yup, prophecies are always easier to fulfill when you write after the fact.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
03-01-2015, 03:07 PM
Jesus did not fulfill the prophecies specifically tied to the Jewish messianic myths:

Why Jews Don't Believe In Jesus

Here is RabbiMichael Skobac on why Jesus cannot possibly be a fulfillment of any Old Testament prophecies:

There's a reason why they reject this upstart cult of Christianity, Christians make baseless claims about THEIR holy book which Jewish scholars categorically reject.
The whole prophecy nonsense is another snake-oil salesman tactic to sell their religion.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
03-01-2015, 03:26 PM
(03-01-2015 03:07 PM)TheInquisition Wrote:  Jesus did not fulfill the prophecies specifically tied to the Jewish messianic myths:

Here is RabbiMichael Skobac on why Jesus cannot possibly be a fulfillment of any Old Testament prophecies:

There's a reason why they reject this upstart cult of Christianity, Christians make baseless claims about THEIR holy book which Jewish scholars categorically reject.
The whole prophecy nonsense is another snake-oil salesman tactic to sell their religion.

The person who Christians call Jesus (if he existed) was a Jewish radical who was against the established culture of the time. The original hippie. The people who claim him now as "THEIR PERSONAL GOD AND SAVIOR" are delusional.

[+] 1 user Likes The Drake's post
03-01-2015, 08:11 PM
(07-12-2014 07:51 PM)The Drake Wrote:  OK let's put this out there...Can Christians (those who use the name but don't follow the teachings (pretty much all of them)) Can they accept a GOD who is fallible ?
I think some liberal Christians can. Virtually no fundamentalist can. I certainly wouldn't have, back in the day. My thinking was basically, if the Bible is fallible and god is fallible, how can you know anything as capital-T Truth? What would be the point?

In all honesty I still feel that way; it's why I don't come to atheism from fundamentalism by way of liberal Christianity or some other "ism". Religion has little but certitude to sell; take that away and how is it different from any other random idea that's abroad in the world? If you're going to embrace uncertainty and not make up things in the face of the unknown, then you might as well be "all in".
07-01-2015, 02:03 PM
All,

I have explored the prophecies of the Bible, other religions, and the apologetics of Judaism against the Christian prophecies for some years. The Bible prophecies of importance to this discussion IMO include Jesus's being born divine, dying for sin and rising from the dead. Other prophecies enhance the validity of the Bible itself, which is important for our discussion in general, but I hope you will study the basic prophecies about Jesus and trust Jesus for salvation if you haven't done so already.

Thank you.

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
14-01-2015, 11:05 PM
(07-01-2015 02:03 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  All,

I have explored the prophecies of the Bible, other religions, and the apologetics of Judaism against the Christian prophecies for some years. The Bible prophecies of importance to this discussion IMO include Jesus's being born divine, dying for sin and rising from the dead. Other prophecies enhance the validity of the Bible itself, which is important for our discussion in general, but I hope you will study the basic prophecies about Jesus and trust Jesus for salvation if you haven't done so already.

Thank you.

I'm so proud of you Q. Jesus may have been born. He most likely died (given that he was born). He was also most likely a small time radical who came into prominence and pissed off the status quo. Then all of his friends got pissed and started a religion.

14-01-2015, 11:10 PM
(03-01-2015 03:07 PM)TheInquisition Wrote:  Jesus did not fulfill the prophecies specifically tied to the Jewish messianic myths:

My question is "Why do Jews believe in GOD ?".