The Athiest "SPECIAL" creation story.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
11-12-2014, 08:03 AM
RE: The Athiest "SPECIAL" creation story.
(07-12-2014 06:55 PM)The Drake Wrote:  I was hoping for a reply but I didn't expect the venerable DLJ.

Ha! He called you old. And dignified. Tongue
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
11-12-2014, 09:28 AM
(11-12-2014 12:25 AM)The Drake Wrote:  
(10-12-2014 11:37 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  That's an interesting question. I don't think they can. A god who is fallible is too human and humans are so fallible that we invented gods. Gods are an ideal version of ourselves which is why they are imaginary.

IDK...Maybe some theists could. But then God would not be a god, anymore.

Yeah, pretty much this.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
11-12-2014, 10:45 AM
(10-12-2014 11:37 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(07-12-2014 07:51 PM)The Drake Wrote:  OK let's put this out there...Can Christians (those who use the name but don't follow the teachings (pretty much all of them)) Can they accept a GOD who is fallible ?

That's an interesting question. I don't think they can. A god who is fallible is too human and humans are so fallible that we invented gods. Gods are an ideal version of ourselves which is why they are imaginary.

An interesting question, what qualities does a person require of a god to still consider it a god?

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
11-12-2014, 10:59 AM
(11-12-2014 10:45 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  
(10-12-2014 11:37 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  That's an interesting question. I don't think they can. A god who is fallible is too human and humans are so fallible that we invented gods. Gods are an ideal version of ourselves which is why they are imaginary.

An interesting question, what qualities does a person require of a god to still consider it a god?

Non-existence for starters. Smile
[+] 2 users Like Machias's post
11-12-2014, 12:43 PM
(11-12-2014 10:59 AM)Machias Wrote:  
(11-12-2014 10:45 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  An interesting question, what qualities does a person require of a god to still consider it a god?

Non-existence for starters. Smile

LOL! Touche'

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
11-12-2014, 07:19 PM
(08-12-2014 06:36 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  
(07-12-2014 10:26 PM)The Drake Wrote:  Thought experiment...dudes/ette...If we could accept "Creation" it would be A-B-C as stated above. Scientifically provable in other words.

[Image: circular-reasoning.jpg?w=604]

Half Life 3 confirmed.

The second mouse gets the cheese.
11-12-2014, 07:25 PM
(11-12-2014 08:03 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(07-12-2014 06:55 PM)The Drake Wrote:  I was hoping for a reply but I didn't expect the venerable DLJ.

Ha! He called you old. And dignified. Tongue

Old is relative. Tongue

11-12-2014, 08:45 PM
(11-12-2014 09:28 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(11-12-2014 12:25 AM)The Drake Wrote:  IDK...Maybe some theists could. But then God would not be a god, anymore.

Yeah, pretty much this.

KC, from what I've gathered in my pre-member lurking days, you are highly regarded amongst us heathens for your gentlemanly discourse and knowledge of ancient religion. Pardon me if I am wrong, but you consider God the Alpha and Omega. Everything from creation to end can be explained by science. What came before and what comes after is, in essence, God.

My original question/post was directed mostly at biblical literalists who, I would imagine, punt the ball. They can't fathom humanity in other than our current form. So if (BIG IF) evidence were to present itself that another intelligence had a hand in our development, could they accept it ? Would they assume that this intelligence must have the same notions of creation and salvation ?

13-12-2014, 03:00 AM
(11-12-2014 08:45 PM)The Drake Wrote:  KC, from what I've gathered in my pre-member lurking days, you are highly regarded amongst us heathens for your gentlemanly discourse and knowledge of ancient religion.

I think people just got tired of rolling their eyes at me... and then I just kinda plopped down and stuck. Like a lichen. Or a fungus.

Quote:Pardon me if I am wrong, but you consider God the Alpha and Omega. Everything from creation to end can be explained by science. What came before and what comes after is, in essence, God.

Yes. In my own bizzaro world it's really not hard for me to accept science since I believed God authored all of it.

Quote:My original question/post was directed mostly at biblical literalists who, I would imagine, punt the ball.

Yeah, they usually do; however, some try to come at you with Ken Ham science - which at that point is like asking them to try and draw the Mona Lisa with rainbows and unicorn poop.

Quote:They can't fathom humanity in other than our current form. So if (BIG IF) evidence were to present itself that another intelligence had a hand in our development, could they accept it ?

Literalist? No. Well, maybe. May go back to that "other flock" crap that Paul (I think) made as a passing remark.

Quote:Would they assume that this intelligence must have the same notions of creation and salvation ?

No... more than likely not. Literalist believe humanity, and only humanity, can have salvation.

Before you ask... I don't know. It would have to be presented to me as fact: ie, aliens would have to be like, "Sup bruh. We're real, yo. We made you."

See... I'm one of weird people who shapes his beliefs on evidence that is presented... which, my Christianity is reconciled with scientific truths and evidences. So yeah.

But, hypothetically speaking.... sure yeah. Why not? God is O3... and the mathematical possibilities are pretty low that we're alone in this universe. So yeah... Christ may or may not have been presented to another civilization and/or God created a whole new set of rules and standards for those peoples. Not really going to lose sleep over it.

Now, whether or not these supposed aliens had a hand in our creation is almost certainly nil, but if that was presented to me as evidence, I would probably reconcile as it as something God constructed for us in His plan. I mean... that really doesn't change much in terms of how/why I believe. It's just another facet of it.

Hope that was somewhat clear. My bad if it wasn't. It's 3AM and I can't sleep because of a migraine.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
13-12-2014, 03:18 AM
(13-12-2014 03:00 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Now, whether or not these supposed aliens had a hand in our creation is almost certainly nil, but if that was presented to me as evidence, I would probably reconcile as it as something God constructed for us in His plan. I mean... that really doesn't change much in terms of how/why I believe. It's just another facet of it.

Weeping

You still... *God* is a massive assumption. There's no reason to make that assumption...

It's like... I relate everything, literally everything, back to my mother. Earthquake in Johannesburg? She musta done it. Oh, you've got seismic records and all that? Epicentre in Carltonville? Sweet. She done it. Somehow. I mean, yeah, now I know more of *how* she done it, she musta sneaked off down to Carltonville... but it's a perfectly viable proposition that she done it, you gotta admit.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post