The Athiest "SPECIAL" creation story.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
15-12-2014, 11:53 AM
RE: The Athiest "SPECIAL" creation story.
(13-12-2014 03:18 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(13-12-2014 03:00 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Now, whether or not these supposed aliens had a hand in our creation is almost certainly nil, but if that was presented to me as evidence, I would probably reconcile as it as something God constructed for us in His plan. I mean... that really doesn't change much in terms of how/why I believe. It's just another facet of it.

Weeping

You still... *God* is a massive assumption. There's no reason to make that assumption...

It's like... I relate everything, literally everything, back to my mother. Earthquake in Johannesburg? She musta done it. Oh, you've got seismic records and all that? Epicentre in Carltonville? Sweet. She done it. Somehow. I mean, yeah, now I know more of *how* she done it, she musta sneaked off down to Carltonville... but it's a perfectly viable proposition that she done it, you gotta admit.

I would respectfully disagree. God is an assumption for which millions of people currently claim there is evidence. No God is an assumption encompassing all known and unknown knowledge.

Further, the same apophenia you think theists have would apply to atheists if God exists.

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-12-2014, 01:17 PM
(15-12-2014 11:53 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  God is an assumption for which millions of people currently claim there is evidence.

And yet so far they've been unable to produce anything that doesn't really boil down to an argument from ignorance.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like unfogged's post
15-12-2014, 02:06 PM (This post was last modified: 15-12-2014 02:15 PM by The Drake.)
(13-12-2014 03:00 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  I think people just got tired of rolling their eyes at me... and then I just kinda plopped down and stuck. Like a lichen. Or a fungus.

Nah. Give yourself some credit. I can see that a debate with you about religion would be more of a philosophical discussion about our personal beliefs, rather than an argument about who is right or wrong. Perhaps we could pick each other brains in another thread.

(13-12-2014 03:00 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Yes. In my own bizzaro world it's really not hard for me to accept science since I believed God authored all of it.

Again, give yourself some credit. There are plenty of theists who hold this position. But in all my former lurking I didn't see once where you preached that anyone else should.

(13-12-2014 03:00 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Kinschosen wrote Yeah, they usually do; however, some try to come at you with Ken Ham science - which at that point is like asking them to try and draw the Mona Lisa with rainbows and unicorn poop.

I know an artist who works with some pretty unusual materials. I might be able to make that happen. Tongue

(13-12-2014 03:00 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Before you ask... I don't know. It would have to be presented to me as fact: ie, aliens would have to be like, "Sup bruh. We're real, yo. We made you."

Which is exactly where I stand as an atheist. Which leads back to my original (hypothetical) question, and could be another thread entirely. How would biblical literalists reconcile the (hypothetical) fact that homo sapiens was engineered by another species ?

The second mouse gets the cheese.
15-12-2014, 02:54 PM
(15-12-2014 01:17 PM)unfogged Wrote:  
(15-12-2014 11:53 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  God is an assumption for which millions of people currently claim there is evidence.

And yet so far they've been unable to produce anything that doesn't really boil down to an argument from ignorance.

And that's why it doesn't work. Science does not attempt to prove an assumption. It arrives at the conclusion based on the evidence. Unfortunately, there are too many people who base their worldview on "presumption". Those are the people I really can't stand. Angry

15-12-2014, 03:32 PM
And yet... fail to produce it when challenged. Highly likely that they're telling the truth what? I mean they're all trustworthy felllas. Not a dolt among them.

Quote:No God is an assumption encompassing all known and unknown knowledge.
So too is no Allah, no Vishnu, no little shit-monkeys raining on your parade.

Quote:Further, the same apophenia you think theists have would apply to atheists if God exists.
Whatever the fuck apophenia is Rolleyes You theists love long words to describe conditions like "that shitty feeling when I consider that maybe my entire basis for my life is based on low grade bullshit". Give it a four syllable name, it's a medical condition! Don't worry, only crazy people worry about apophenia.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
15-12-2014, 04:48 PM
(15-12-2014 03:32 PM)morondog Wrote:  
And yet... fail to produce it when challenged. Highly likely that they're telling the truth what? I mean they're all trustworthy felllas. Not a dolt among them.

Quote:No God is an assumption encompassing all known and unknown knowledge.
So too is no Allah, no Vishnu, no little shit-monkeys raining on your parade.

Quote:Further, the same apophenia you think theists have would apply to atheists if God exists.
Whatever the fuck apophenia is Rolleyes You theists love long words to describe conditions like "that shitty feeling when I consider that maybe my entire basis for my life is based on low grade bullshit". Give it a four syllable name, it's a medical condition! Don't worry, only crazy people worry about apophenia.

Apophenia: "an unmotivated seeing of connections" accompanied by a "specific experience of an abnormal meaningfulness", but it has come to represent the human tendency to seek patterns in random information in general, such as with gambling and paranormal phenomena

In other words: An irrational belief in BULLSHIT.

[+] 2 users Like The Drake's post
15-12-2014, 04:50 PM
(15-12-2014 04:48 PM)The Drake Wrote:  Apophenia: "an unmotivated seeing of connections" accompanied by a "specific experience of an abnormal meaningfulness", but it has come to represent the human tendency to seek patterns in random information in general, such as with gambling and paranormal phenomena

Ahahaha Smile Q, and The Drake, I am in your debt. Today my vocab has expanded.

(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
15-12-2014, 05:05 PM
(15-12-2014 04:50 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(15-12-2014 04:48 PM)The Drake Wrote:  Apophenia: "an unmotivated seeing of connections" accompanied by a "specific experience of an abnormal meaningfulness", but it has come to represent the human tendency to seek patterns in random information in general, such as with gambling and paranormal phenomena

You're welcome. Google is our friend.

15-12-2014, 05:08 PM
(15-12-2014 04:50 PM)morondog Wrote:  

I especially like: "an unmotivated seeing of connections" accompanied by a "specific experience of an abnormal meaningfulness".

15-12-2014, 10:20 PM
(15-12-2014 05:05 PM)The Drake Wrote:  
(15-12-2014 04:50 PM)morondog Wrote:  Ahahaha Smile Q, and The Drake, I am in your debt. Today my vocab has expanded.

You're welcome. Google is our friend.

Your friend Big Grin I'm enough of a whiny scumbag that people google stuff *for* me Yes