The Aunthenticity Hoax: How we get lost finding ourselves.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-04-2013, 11:41 AM
The Aunthenticity Hoax: How we get lost finding ourselves.
Is a very good book that challenges modern society. Philosophically challenging such modern ideas of "progress" or societies search for "authenticity" "culture".

Here is a 20 minute video of the author explaining his book:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ffG51UbMKs
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-04-2013, 01:58 PM
RE: The Aunthenticity Hoax: How we get lost finding ourselves.
Hey, I.

Is he arguing against modernity? It sounds more like he's arguing against those that are in search of something other than modernity.

But then he talks about the tragedy of pre-modern values like honour no longer having the same sway.

I find myself confused.

Care to clear up my confusion?

PS: I think I got his argument about the use of faux irony in marketing. I saw a product the other day and the marketing approach made me ill.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
11-04-2013, 03:11 PM
(11-04-2013 01:58 PM)Ghost Wrote:  Hey, I.

Is he arguing against modernity? It sounds more like he's arguing against those that are in search of something other than modernity.

But then he talks about the tragedy of pre-modern values like honour no longer having the same sway.

I find myself confused.

PS: I think I got his argument about the use of faux irony in marketing. I saw a product the other day and the marketing approach made me ill.

Matt

There is a chapter in the book at the end where he apparently challenges the modern idea of modernity and progress, I haven't got to that chapter yet.

He argues against many different things, mainly the current culture fixated on "the real" or "authenticity" it's flaws and the use of that as a form of status quo.

When I am done with the book I will give you my full take on his argument.
11-04-2013, 03:14 PM
(11-04-2013 03:11 PM)I and I Wrote:  
(11-04-2013 01:58 PM)Ghost Wrote:  Hey, I.

I find myself confused.

Matt

There is a chapter in the book at the end where he apparently challenges the modern idea of modernity and progress, I haven't got to that chapter yet.

He argues against many different things, mainly the current culture fixated on "the real" or "authenticity" it's flaws and the use of that as a form of status quo.

When I am done with the book I will give you my full take on his argument.

He is arguing against those in search of things other than modernity, many other leftist philosophers point out that this faux search for "a real" in reality turns out to be a reaffirmation of current ideology and not some grand move away from current ideas. I don't think that is what the author is arguing but it's what I am arguing, from what I read of him and others.
11-04-2013, 08:24 PM
Nobody is forcing you to participate in society.

I don't talk gay, I don't walk gay, it's like people don't even know I'm gay unless I'm blowing them.
[Image: 10h27hu.jpg]