The Aurora Shooting: What's going to make the world a better place?
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-07-2012, 01:08 PM (This post was last modified: 24-07-2012 01:12 PM by fstratzero.)
RE: The Aurora Shooting: What's going to make the world a better place?
Quote:If there is nothing higher and no real reason for us to exist. Isn't the "badness" of what this guy did kind of an illusion?

The reason for existence doesn't make any difference in moral judgements.

Whatever reason you make up for being here it becomes apparent that having other people is valuable. We learn new things from each other, we work together to raise the quality of life for each other, and we know that those two things benefits people enough that it has lead to the world we live in today.

He clearly operated in a way that harms these values, and will have a trial to determine the best course of action. To protect the public from this man.

Quote:If the mind comes from the brain, then how can he be responsible for what he's done?

This depends largely on the soundness of his mind. If a psychological profile shows that this guy isn't able to make decisions due to some neurological/psychological disorder, or he is legally insane then he is sick.

However if he is sane, and was persuaded by his own delusions then he is responsible for making the choice to kill. He is responsible for not dispelling his delusion.

Quote:What's going to make the world a better place?

I would say that if there ever was a case for teaching higher order thinking skills this would be it!

From what I've read he seemed smart, able to reason, and yet held some poisonous ideas.

My speculation would be that maybe if he'd taken some thinking skills classes he'd be better able to dispel his crazy idea's. Logic, biases, fallacies, research, and understanding your own emotions is very important. Knowing that what you feel and think can be in error and usually is a crux through which we can think better in our everyday decisions.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes fstratzero's post