The Australian vernacular.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-02-2017, 04:18 AM
The Australian vernacular.
Hi all.

As I have recently discovered, many do not understand how Australians, for the most part, relate to each other.

To begin I will copy a text exchange between myself and one of my best friends. What follows is exact.

Mate: "Hey knobhead, are you interested in coming to see Periphery tonight? We have backstage passes."

Me: "No mate. I'm gonna have a night in. I'm playing tomorrow."

Mate: "Seriously? Just get off your fat lazy arse and come. It'll be great!"

Me: "Fuck that. I'm gonna sleep."

Mate: "Stupid cunt. Anyway I'll see you tomorrow."

Me: "Sure mate. Enjoy. Smile"

This person is a close friend. Very close.

Swearing is common practice. Words such as Fuckwit, Cunt, Dickhead and Fuckhead are commonly used amongst friends.

I don't know how it originated. Possibly due to the country being so very harsh. It produced a population that reflects that. Therefore a silly thing like a word is meaningless.

This affects other nationalities. In particular Americans. They are generally seen as repressed and uptight.

A mate told me of this meeting in a US town with a mate. The people surrounding them were shocked. To say the least!

Person 1: "What are you doing here you cunt?"

Person 2: "I'm on tour. What the fuck are you doing here?"

2: "Going to a trade show."

Later an American approached person 1 and asked what was happening. Apparently he expected a fight or a shooting.

"Mate, we always talk like that. He's a mate."

The American was shocked.

Of course the internet is heavily inhabited by "Yanks". It seems that to many here, especially myself, that they wish to enforce their code of ethics on the rest of the planet. To which I respond in my Aussie vernacular, "Fuck that!"

You should hear the language. Normal to Aussies, shocking to Americans.

Europeans are cooler. As are Asians. They tend to accept the way we are. many who migrate here willingly take up the same vernacular.

I recall a Chinese woman speaking to an Aussie tradesman.

"Fucking stupid Aussie!"

Response? "Fuck off bitch."

They then went about their business. No drama. No shootings or hysteria.

I have absolutely no intention of changing who I am to suit anyone. I hope other Aussies feels the same. And so too, our ANZAC cousins in New Zealand.

This rugged country produced a tough as nails race. Mostly unaffected by religiosity. One reason I think Americans are so repressed. Even so called "American atheists", who frankly should know better IMO.

I hope this helps.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Banjo's post
03-02-2017, 04:31 AM
RE: The Australian vernacular.
Oh. I thought your vernacular was a disease... chlamydia, perhaps? Maybe the word means something else.

Wink

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
03-02-2017, 04:39 AM
(03-02-2017 04:31 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Oh. I thought your vernacular was a disease... chlamydia, perhaps? Maybe the word means something else.

Wink

Nah we just call whoever has it a "Dirty cunt." Wink

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
03-02-2017, 04:49 AM
At work.

*Nods*

Well f@ckin' said.

Thumbsup
[+] 1 user Likes Peebothuhul's post
03-02-2017, 05:00 AM
Seriously, though, I was just talking with a Brit friend of mine on XBox about this, the other day. They sling totally foul-mouthed stuff at one another (and at us 'Murkinz) constantly, being especially fond of the word "cunt". I told them that it's almost unheard of, over here, to use that word to refer to another person... especially one you like.

But then my Brit buds got deeply offended when one of us suggested he should just kill himself (he was complaining too much and being bitingly sarcastic), and the other 'Murkinz mocked him for being too sensitive.

Cultural quirks are particularly interesting among international gaming communities, I'd say.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
03-02-2017, 05:02 AM
(03-02-2017 04:49 AM)Peebothuhul Wrote:  At work.

*Nods*

Well fuckin' said.

Thumbsup

Fixed that for you mate. Thumbsup

Banjo.
03-02-2017, 05:21 AM
At work.

I try very hard not to swear at work.

Having been a 'Trady' swearing blue streaks has taken me a while to stop doing. Blush
[+] 1 user Likes Peebothuhul's post
03-02-2017, 07:32 AM
We Irish use a lot of colourful language, especially here in Dublin. We use the word bollix a lot. If I meet a friend I'd say something like " Ah John, ye oul bollix ye. What's the fucking story". To one of my taller friends I'd say " Howz it goin' ye long streak of misery fuck. Tongue

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
[+] 1 user Likes Marozz's post
03-02-2017, 08:01 AM
(03-02-2017 07:32 AM)Marozz Wrote:  We Irish use a lot of colourful language, especially here in Dublin. We use the word bollix a lot. If I meet a friend I'd say something like " Ah John, ye oul bollix ye. What's the fucking story". To one of my taller friends I'd say " Howz it goin' ye long streak of misery fuck. Tongue

I get along well with those Irish bastards. Smile

Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
03-02-2017, 08:12 AM
Good man, ye Didgeridoo fuck.

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí