The Authority of Unchanging Morality

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-06-2014, 06:07 PM (This post was last modified: 25-06-2014 06:29 PM by TheSkeptic.)
The Authority of Unchanging Morality
After watching/reading about the debate between Christopher Hitchens and his and his brother Peter Hitchens, I concluded that their differences can be concluded in one argument: Can humanity flourish without an objective unchanging morality "giver"? Can morality be determined without the concept of a god?

As a young atheist, I think this is quite an unanswered topic and despite several debates and psychological studies, only time will tell if humanity is ready to survive a godless nature. Now this viewpoint may seem very unatheistic, but I'm thinking through the eyes of the countless illogical, irrational and ignorant I know. They do need a god.

The point I'm making is not to debate the above, but to debate the changing/unchanging nature of the Christian God. To quote Peter Hitchens: "a moral code needs to be beyond human power to alter".

The one thing that is evident throughout the Bible in my opinion, is the fact how morality has evolved through history. Together with the evolution of civilization, we clearly see a development in moral code. This development can clearly be seen in the Bible. If there was an unchanged and unaltered moral code in The Bible, it would've served as great evidence of Christianity. Unfortunately for Christians, it's not.

Examples:

Genesis 4: Incest in the Adam family.

Genesis 7: Noah's Story

Deuteronomy 22:28-29: If a man is caught in the act of raping a young woman who is not engaged, he must pay fifty pieces of silver to her father. Then he must marry the young woman because he violated her, and he will never be allowed to divorce her.

Numbers 31:7-18: Now kill all the boys and all the women who have slept with a man. Only the young girls who are virgins may live; you may keep them for yourselves.

Leviticus 25:44-46:However, you may purchase male or female slaves from among the foreigners who live among you. You may also purchase the children of such resident foreigners, including those who have been born in your land. You may treat them as your property, passing them on to your children as a permanent inheritance. You may treat your slaves like this, but the people of Israel, your relatives, must never be treated this way.

Exodus 21:7-11: When a man sells his daughter as a slave, she will not be freed at the end of six years as the men are. If she does not please the man who bought her, he may allow her to be bought back again.

Deuteronomy 17:12: Anyone arrogant enough to reject the verdict of the judge or of the priest who represents the LORD your God must be put to death. Such evil must be purged from Israel

Leviticus 20:13: If a man lies with a male as with a women, both of them shall be put to death for their abominable deed; they have forfeited their lives.

Exodus 21:15: Whoever strikes his father or mother shall be put to death.

Leviticus 20:10: If a man commits adultery with another man's wife, both the man and the woman must be put to death.

2 Kings 2:23-2: Go up baldhead," they shouted, "go up baldhead!" The prophet turned and saw them, and he cursed them in the name of the Lord. Then two shebears came out of the woods and tore forty two of the children to pieces.

Isaiah 13:15-18: Their homes will be sacked and their wives raped by the attacking hordes. Their homes will be sacked and their wives raped by the attacking hordes.

1 Samuel 18:27: David took his men with him and went out and killed two hundred Philistines and brought back their foreskins. They counted out the full number to the king so that David might become the king's son-in-law.

Leviticus 19:19: "You shall not breed together two kinds of your cattle"

Of course, 99% of TTA-forumites will be familiar with all the atrocities in the Old Testament, but I want to focus on how Yahweh seemed to change. In the New Testament, we begin to see a more civilized view on human morality. The problem is that this New Testament views is not unique to the Bible, but these views were also formed in other cultures through Socrates and Gautama Buddha, I'm aware of the answers given by Christian Apologetics to why the laws of the Old Testament exist, but I've received no satisfactory answer on why Yahweh changed his gameplan.

From an "kill-what-is-bad"-mindset, he went to a "forgive-and-forget"-mindset. Clearly changing his moral code.

So to summarize my confusing thoughts:

Skip to 51m30s.

Christians deny atheists, because humans needs an authority of unaltered morality.

John 3:16 “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life."

vs.

Nahum 1:2: The LORD is a jealous God, filled with vengeance and wrath. He takes revenge on all who oppose him and furiously destroys his enemies!

How can any rational person defend this argument, that the Bible is a unchanging code of morality?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes TheSkeptic's post