The BS of "testimonials"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-10-2014, 07:21 AM (This post was last modified: 13-10-2014 12:44 PM by Brian37.)
The BS of "testimonials"
Atheists do not doubt that prior atheists can become believers. And we don't even doubt believers who claim they have "experienced" whatever.

What we do doubt in both cases is your interpretation of what you think happened. Our species is extremely capable of false perceptions and gap filling.

http://guardianlv.com/2014/10/atheists-t...oes-viral/

If you really want to believe something badly enough you will.

Now in the case of this "former atheist" they know damned well, or should, that they are still subject to the same scrutiny as if they had been religious the entire time. They still would not buy their own "conversion" story if another person with another pet god like Allah or Vishnu claimed "I had an experience".

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Brian37's post
13-10-2014, 07:27 AM
RE: The BS of "testimonials"
(13-10-2014 07:21 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  They still would not buy their own "conversion" story if another person with anothe pet god like Allah or Vishnu claimed "I had an experience".
So what? I care about my death much more than proving my religion to atheists.
Also atheists still didn't prove that atheism is logically consistent.
Find all posts by this user
13-10-2014, 07:51 AM
(13-10-2014 07:27 AM)dimaniac Wrote:  
(13-10-2014 07:21 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  They still would not buy their own "conversion" story if another person with anothe pet god like Allah or Vishnu claimed "I had an experience".

Please explain why it is illogical, and I will tell you why I agree or disagree.

Atheism is simply a lack of belief in gods, and nothing more. There is no non-presuppositional evidence that gods exist, so atheism seems logical to me. Do you feel I am wrong and that you have non-presuppositional evidence of the existence of a god? If so, please, share it with us.
13-10-2014, 07:52 AM
(13-10-2014 07:27 AM)dimaniac Wrote:  

And theism is?

Blink

"Name me a moral statement made or moral action performed that could not have been made or done, by a non-believer..." - Christopher Hitchens

My youtube musings: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfFoxbz...UVi1pf4B5g
13-10-2014, 08:02 AM
(13-10-2014 07:51 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  Please explain why it is illogical
For example, many atheists argue that finite lifespan has value and infinite(or even very long) lifespan doesn't. Therefore it would be logical to kill yourself at 20 to make life even more valuable, but for some reason those atheists don't do that.
13-10-2014, 08:07 AM
(13-10-2014 07:27 AM)dimaniac Wrote:  Also atheists still didn't prove that atheism is logically consistent.

Hall mark of a troll. Ignoring answers to previous questions so you can continue to ask them

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...#pid659206

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...#pid659309

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...#pid660446
13-10-2014, 08:08 AM
(13-10-2014 08:02 AM)dimaniac Wrote:  
For example, many atheists argue that finite lifespan has value and infinite(or even very long) lifespan doesn't. Therefore it would be logical to kill yourself at 20 to make life even more valuable, but for some reason those atheists don't do that.

No one said a very long lifespan doesn't have value. Try again.

And regardless of what 'many atheists' say (which you have not demonstrated), that does not make non-belief illogical.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
13-10-2014, 08:12 AM

Let me repeat myself, because you left out the part of my quote where I answered you.

Atheism is a lack of belief in gods, and nothing else.

What you just described is not atheism, but rather, a belief held by some atheists. So, again: please explain to me how atheism is illogical. Bonus points: answer my other question about whether you feel you have any non-presuppositional evidence for the existence of any gods.
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
13-10-2014, 08:15 AM
(13-10-2014 08:02 AM)dimaniac Wrote:  For example, many atheists argue that finite lifespan has value and infinite(or even very long) lifespan doesn't. Therefore it would be logical to kill yourself at 20 to make life even more valuable, but for some reason those atheists don't do that.

The more you have of something the less valuable each additional increment is. A life that was infinitely long would provide no impetus to accomplish anything ever because there will always be another day. Deadlines inspire results.

That doesn't mean that the value of each additional day when you are 20 is low or that 20 years is a long enough period to accomplish what you would like to. No specific age is "enough" since it would vary according to each individual.

You have jumped from "infinity" to "20 years" and think you are making a logical point. The claim isn't that short lives are more valuable than long lives, it is that limited lifespans provide motivation and a sense of urgency that infinite lifespans lack.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
13-10-2014, 08:41 AM

Just as theists don't off themselves to get to heaven.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
[+] 2 users Like Thinkerbelle's post